University of Wisconsin Madison EA Class of 2023

@hp Yeah and now most ea decisions are not until mid january.

@rampmir52 no one has been admitted to their second choice schoolsā€¦it could still be deferrals for second school.

Considering how many apply and how competitive the COB and COE are, WAY more will get their second choice or declined than get their first option. The entire business school has about 3k students so they will direct admit probably 500-550 total kids max. I think the engineering school is even smaller or about the same. Overall they will get in about 45k applications to review - I think I read about 1/4 of those are for the business school (~500 spots) and

So overallā€¦I would be thrilled with the second major vs deferral. :slight_smile:

@hellowwisco2019 That makes senseā€¦ I couldnā€™t understand why high stat kids were getting deferred.

@201five Iā€™m guessing CST, last year it was and they are locating in central time so

There was an article last year that there were 29000 applicants for 3600 spots?

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/education/2017/12/07/if-your-studen-applied-uw-madison-and-academically-prepared-admission-chances-excellent-official-say/929020001/

Though, that doesnā€™t sound right?

Our friend scored a 26 ACT and got in, as a resident.

Anyone have an estimate of what time tonight; if tonight and time zone?

7 CST

Whatā€™s that time based on? Wild guess or some other basis?

Nah thatā€™s when itā€™s come out last two years

@hp that was based on 2015 stats I think. Last year was 42,741 for 3,600 spots (about 400-500 in the biz school we have been told) - the common app has changed the numbers a lot. They did put in place some rules for in-state students a few years ago and they take about 65% of them now. Non residents are under 50% (excluding Minnesota). A 26 ACT may have had a 4.0 GPA, great essays, worked full time started a charity and went into an easier major vs more competitive one - its always hard to tell from one stat but in state def has an advantage over out of state and pretty much any school.

https://www.wisc.edu/about/facts/

It has always been at 7pm CST on a Friday

is it bad that I applied to business and my major hasnā€™t changed?

No, it could be that youā€™re being admitted into the COB

When I visited I toured the journalism school and the head of the school said there was a 30 percent acceptance rate for 9,000 spots OOS

@whiteice67 I think it will be fine. Especially if you applied to a 2nd college as a backup and it didnā€™t change. Good luck to you!

could it also mean I was rejected or would it go to my second choice if I was rejected from business and then considered for my second?

They obviously admit a lot more than 3600 students. There is a CC thread that posted the admission statistics by residency and gender and ethnic groups. UW system makes this information readily available.

Nopeā€¦ B student. Lived in a poor zip codeā€¦ not a minority, not underprivileged.

@CollegeandPugs8 Good luck man!

Do we think the decisions are going to come out at 8 EST tonight?