University of Wisconsin, Madison EA Class of 2025

No negotiations here. With a 60k per year bill, we will definitely have to say no and bow out, and hope the spot helps someone deferred.

4 Likes

My son just declined the admission offer (OOS, CS major), too expensive and no scholarships. Hopefully it will go to someone deferred.

5 Likes

Yeah my son is doing the same.

Does anyone know definitively whether merit/need based general scholarships have been offered?

I had need-based scholarships on mine, but do not know about merit. I donā€™t see any of the ones I applied for on WISH on my statement, but guess itā€™s because I didnā€™t get any.

@MRichards74 I am under the impression that UW offers very few merit scholarships, with values that range from 1k to 3k. I also think that the student needs to apply through Scholarship Universe. Please someone correct me if I am wrong.

As for need based, they offer both subsidized loan and unsubsidized loan , and that should appear in the student financial aid section, in the portal, if his parents have submitted the FAFSA.

Thanks for the input. Iā€™ve reviewed the financial aid information, and it is basically the same loans offered by every other school.

The difference between UW and the other schools my daughter has been accepted to is the lack of any scholarship support. I donā€™t know if that is because those decisions havenā€™t been made, or she just received $0 (which is conceivable, but this would be the only school which hasnā€™t granted her a scholarship of some sort, which is odd, especially considering she has been accepted by a few of UWā€™s peers).

@MRichards74 As odd as it may seem, I think it applies to almost if not all the accepted student. My daughter has very good stats and was offered nothing.

I am glad i could help.

2 Likes

UW has very few merit opportunities. It is common that other schools give merit and UW does not for the same student.

Same. Really tough to accept as an OOS student when every other school my D applied to gave her significant merit.

The legislatureā€™s long held philosophy in the State of WI has been that it will not ask its taxpayers to subsidize tuition for out of state students at its universities. As a result, it does not give even its flagship institution extra funding or grants to do so. Therefore, UW gives very little merit scholarships to out of state students. I presume it will continue this practice as long as it continues to get a surplus of qualified, out of state applications. Because of the strength of the schoolā€™s programs, the number of applications continue to increase and the school has not had any problem of finding qualified, out of state students that are willing to pay full price so I donā€™t foresee the State legislature or university changing its philosophy on this.

We are from MN where our state has reciprocity with WI so our kids pay almost in-state tuition rates at UW. As a result, the university finds these out of state applicants far less economically attractive than other out of state applicants so admissions are tougher for MN applicants as a result.

Not sure which situation is worseā€¦

2 Likes

Correct that UW Madison is not a merit aid school so it is confusing and disappointing that they have a lengthy scholarship webpage. Seems like people here thought that meant there was decent merit aid available but no. NMF get a modest amount for the first year.

1 Like

Hello! I was accepted at the University of Wisconsin-Madison into the College of Letters and Science with the intention of majoring in CS. Iā€™ve read a bunch about how itā€™s pretty easy to declare CS and the tough part is getting into the College of Letters and Science - just wanted to know if someone has first-hand experience with the same? How hard is it to declare CS and would it be a risk if I gave up UMass Amherst (where I was directly admitted to the College of Information and Computer Sciences) and accepted UWā€™s offer? Iā€™m a bit scared that Iā€™ll get there and wonā€™t be able to declare! Thanks!

3.3 to 3.5 GPA is sufficient.

Thank you!

Just wondering if anyone knows how difficult it is to transfer into engineering. Our son was admitted to Letters and Science, his number two choice. Thank you.

need help. DS got admission to UW Madison L&S, and was invited to apply for honors. We looked at the honors site and there are 8 supplements, are we supposed to write all 8. any info will be really helpful.

Does anyone else have a ā€œno evaluations to displayā€ tab under your application status? Just popped up for me today.

1 Like

I have it too

1 Like

You think it means anything?