UPenn vs Brown for CS

For context, my application was half history, half science. I also had some economics/writing ECs. It was very difficult for me to justify applying to engineering with this profile. I was worried that my publication in The Concord Review history journal (one of my main awards) would not be appreciated/recognized in the engineering pool. Of course there was no way of knowing, but I think there was a signfigant chance I would not have gotten in applying to CS in engineering. Given that this was such a compettive year (especially for CS–none of my friends who applied direct to engineering + CS got in anywhere in the T30), I wanted to maximize my chances at a top school. I would much rather get in and deal with the internal transfer to engineering/double major then get rejected all together. I suprisingly got into many ivies which are all comparable in terms of quality. Now, I can choose the school where it is easiest to pursue my major.

I know, maybe this was not the best strategy looking back.

Anyhow, I think am better off at Brown because I can pursue all of my diverse ineterests.

5 Likes

“Most colleges have readily accessible lists of available courses, and it can be useful to review them.”

Agree, it’s a good idea and you can do it for Brown as suggested, but you can’ t really do it for Penn as those courses aren’t technically available to OP. I’m familiar with many of those courses and it would be good to compare if there are differences wrt being more theory or hands-on, programming projects, entrepreneur classes with the b-schools say.

“What’s the CS degree, I thought Penn only had the CIS in SEAS?”

In answering my own question, the degree in CS is given from Penn’s Arts and Science college and the CIS degree from the Engineering college. Apparently the CIS majors make more.

Congratulations! You had two fabulous options and chose what seems best for you. Well done! Sounds like it is time to buy a Brown hoodie and celebrate!

Good luck and welcome to Brown’s community! GO BRUNO!!!

1 Like

Congratulations and enjoy!

Exactly, there’s no way to know up front what the best strategy was and you and your GC obviously have the best info on your high school classmates and peers. Anyway, you ended up in a great spot, so just look forward and good luck!