USC Bovard Scholars

@MaybeHarvard2022 You seem that you are intellectually capable of performing very well when it comes to academics, specifically standardized tests. I have a question about the USC Bovard Scholars program and how beneficial it is when it comes to test preparation? Were many scholars able to perform really well on the ACT/SATs after attending the program? I, myself struggle with standardized tests and I feel like they will hold me back from getting accepted into top-tier universities.

@hoingforthebest many of the students were able to increase their scores significantly after the program, but a lot of it depended on how committed they were to using the resources Bovard gave such as subscriptions to ACT/SAT online prep.

Hey guys! I got in and just found this thread (: is there already a groupme?

Hey everyone!
First of all, this update is not doing it for me lol
Secondly, does anyone know anything about the waitlist? My friends was waitlisted and she’s wondering if anyone knew anything about what’s happening with them?
Any advice is appreciated, I really us to go together lol

@Paolareadsalot I’m not really sure how a Groupme works lol. But I’m down for it if it’s a communication method!

@MangoLover11223 Hmm, I’m not sure much about the waitlist. I don’t really know anyone personally who has applied other than me

I don’t know if there was a waitlist last year since it was the first year, but I’m pretty sure the waitlist is like a college waitlist. If someone ends up deciding not to go that was accepted, someone from the waitlist will get accepted as there is space available.

Hey everyone! I just created this account to comment on this discussion lmao. I also got accepted into the 2018 USC Bovard Scholars Program! Is there any group chat where I can communicate with other people who got accepted?

Also, about the waitlist question. I had sent in my Confirmation of Acceptance letter last Friday. Therefore, if you are on the waitlist you should hear back from the program very soon since everyone either accepted or declined their acceptance!

Additionally, there was a waitlist last year.

Me too! Nice to meet you via internet lol

I have a question that I would really like some perspectives on, especially from @univbound101 and @MaybeHarvard2022 as they’ve already done the program…
My cousin is getting married this summer and ask me to be a bridesmaid (!). At the time, I had no plans for the summer so I said yeah. BUT I just realized the wedding is during the last 3-4 days of the USC Bovard Scholars program.
I’m not sure what I can do, since I know weddings take a lot of time to plan, but I also don’t want to give this opportunity up.
I guess I’m a nutshell my question is, what do you guys think in terms of which I should prioritize. And if I do end up missing the program can I still write that I got accepted on college applications or will that look weird, cause they’ll be like “why didn’t she go?”

I don’t think they’all allow you to miss 4 days, especially when there are kids on the waitlist who would go for the whole time. I think you should prioritize the Bovard program because it will truly be a transformative experience in your life. But even if they would make an exception and allow you to miss a few days, I wouldn’t want to miss the last few days because they were the most valuable-- they were the last moments you spend with your new family and friends.

I agree with @univbound101 @MangoLover11223

I don’t think a wedding is worth missing a program that’ll help dictate the next 4 years of your life, as well as a program with an opportunity to be at one of the best colleges in the country.

Hey guys!! I’m looking forward to applying to the program next year (2019) but I wanted to share my info and receive some feedback on what I could improve

-I received all a’s for my first two years of high school, now that I am a junior I have A’s and high B’s while taking all IB classes (hopefully I can pick those up)
-I have a 3.8 gpa
-I have over 200 community service hours
-im president and founder of a club
-member of NHS
any tips??? would appreciate this so much!!

i also joined the debate team, and i was able to maintain all A’s on my IB classes. also, my weighted gpa is 4.1 is that good enough?

How many people applied for this year? I did!

1 Like

I did too. I’m not sure if I’ll get in though if they look at stats. Just in case, does anyone know of any programs similar to this one? I really need something like this considering my school has terrible academics.

I have no idea what the stats are this year but I found something really weird in the application. My school does unweighted GPA so that’s what I used for my end of the application. But for the counselor’s form, my counselor was asked to provide a weighted GPA—he was so confused ?? Did this happen to anyone else?