USC Class of 2024 Applicants Thread

@yale2024pls You should be fine.

I forgot, once you submit your application on the Common App is when they email you the instructions you create your FAST profile? You know, to see the status of your app and all…

@doodlesack Or you can apply directly once you have your USC ID # at: https://financialaid.usc.edu/

@WWWard you login with your email, its the portal where you see your decision. Do they email you a link to login after you submit your app?

@doodlesack My daughters each applied directly with Financial Aid through their own website… and not through the admissions portal. So you should be able to log-in to FAST directly from this link too and apply… https://financialaid.usc.edu/

@WWWard I only see the login to FAST option. Maybe after submitting my app I will receive something to be able to login?

Hello! First year student applying from out of state (Georgia) here.
I have some rather below-average test scores for USC: a 28 ACT (35E 27M 24R 26S), and SAT 660 R+W and 630 Math.

I was just wondering if this absolutely wrecks my chances on the rest of my application?
I think my essays are solid and my recommendations are also solid. I go to a well known prep/ private school in terms of academic rigor. Have not turned in my application yet (I’m trying to perfect my application as much as I can before the deadline).

Anyone have thoughts or know of anybody who has gotten in with test scores of my caliber? Super nervous, have been wanting to go to USC for a long time, but preparing myself for the worst.

@Doodlesack Yes… you have to be an applicant first.

Do the people who get past the initial screening for iovine and young and get an interview for February get admitted for usc in general? I saw in the thread that if you are up for merit consideration then you are automatically admitted to the university. If iovine young says that if you get an interview then you are considered for merit based scholarship, then does the same rule apply?

Wait I never knew about the FAST profile what the heck. I went to five school tours/events and none ever mentioned this. I did CSS and FASFA. Does anyone know if that enough for the merit scholarship and need based aid?

No idea. My dd got an email saying she was required to do the FAST and then it was marked as “required” when she logged into her portal. We completed it, but I was annoyed because it seemed rather redundant. There was no new information for the FAST that hadn’t already been covered with the FAFSA and the CSS profile, so I don’t know why they ask for it.

I’m back! Took me a month to remember the email I used to set up this account 10 years ago (ha) but it finally hit me, so I could log in again!

Happy New Year All!

Just to reiterate an earlier conversation…

National Merit Finalist do not find out in January.

The NMF process and the January scholarship notifications are completely different processes. An NMF can be invited/receive these scholarships, any of them, Dean’s, Trustees or Presidential. NMF does not stack with any of these USC scholarships.

NMFs do not get any particular notice now … and being NMSF is no guarantee of admission. If a person is admitted in March (not in January) and they end up being NMF, the 1/2 off will be reflected in their student account - there isn’t a big award notice sent or a parade down main street…just the standard admission packet - and the discount notice. Again, NMF gets you 1/2 off tuition, it doesn’t get you admitted.

Once admitted, AND if you advance to NMF AND if you name USC your top school with NMSC by the May 1st deadline, you will get 1/2 off tuition. So for many NMF happens later …but you will notice a significant number of NMF’s just happen to get other USC scholarships.

For example, a person can get the Presidential which is the same 1/2 tuition discount as the National Merit. Any Presidential recipient that is also NMF should not skip the interview process because of the guaranteed 1/2 tuition off with Presidential scholarship - because there is a chance of getting bumped up (or down) with the Presidential. But with NMF as back up, a Presidential/NMF applicant is guaranteed to get at least 1/2 and doesn’t have the risk of getting less.

Again, NMF discount does not stack with the January scholarships.

May I ask when you got the email/completed the FAST application? I hope that completing it now isn’t too late. I tried to call the admissions office but the line is so busy right now.

My USC application portal says for the FAST that the “Eligibility Checks” and “Application Started” have been completed (signified by the green check mark) and the Application is Review is pending with no other need for action (signified by the yellow clock) but I haven’t even logged into this page before. I am so confused. It says I will be notified for any additional documents needed. @amsunshine , what separate documents did your daughter have to fill out?

My dd got the email on 12/21. I put off completing the info until over the break. The email instructed to complete the FAST by the “published deadlines”, but I did not see any specific deadline for the FAST, as opposed to the FAFSA and the CSS. So, I assume the deadline for the FAST must be the same as for the FAFSA and the CSS – Feb 13, 2020.

@CindyLeuWho As further clarification, when my dd got the email and logged in, there was a third section under “Eligibility Checks” and “Application Started” that had a red mark indicating the FAST needed to be completed. I don’t recall exactly what it said, and that section has disappeared now that we completed the FAST. Now, my dd’s portal for financial aid looks like how you described your daughter’s portal looks, with the 3rd section saying: “Application in Review” with a yellow clock next to it.

Thank you so much! I think that’s good news then. Nothing is stated very well about it on their website so I’m glad you were able to give some help!

@CindyLeuWho, @amsunshine

Regarding need-based financial aid… there will be a number of items required beyond just the CSS & FAFSA. In my daughter’s case, it was: Copy of parents’ 2017 federal income tax return, Copy of student’s 2017 federal income tax return, Custodial Parent Clarification, Direct Subsidized and/or Unsubsidized Loan Request Form, FAFSA Data, Income and Expense Declaration Form - Parent, Information Form, Father, Information Form, Mother, Tax Information Form, Federal 2017 - Parents, Tax Information Form, Federal 2017 - Student.

These forms can vary widely based on individual or family circumstances, but it is always more than just the CSS and FAFSA. It will also include at least copies of signed tax returns from both parents (whether married or not).

The USC Financial Aid Office is not shy and will ask you for what they need. Or, you can also log into FAST and look at your application status for the 2020-21 school year and then Required Info for 2020-21 and then under Required Documents or Received Documents. I would simply check it once every few days until it reflects as complete.

As for Dates and Deadlines: (here is what USC says about it)

Students are encouraged to meet all published deadlines to ensure they receive their funds by the tuition payment deadline each semester.

First-Year Students: Apply by February 13, 2020

Submit the CSS Profile application.
Submit the FAFSA application to federal processor.
If you miss this deadline, apply as soon as possible after this date.
You may submit the FAFSA and Profile beginning on October 1. Use the FAFSA Data Retrieval Tool for the most efficient processing.

But again… those are just the first steps. USC will then ask you for many other items as they deem necessary.

Trying to pass the time. Does anyone know what weekend the scholarship interviews are?