USC Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

hi guys, does USC require applicants to submit a mid-year report? If it is optional, will the submission of the mid-year report or the grades in the mid-year report affect my admission results? thanks in advance :slight_smile:

My counselor sent my mid year report to all my schools but I attached really helpful link for you. It’s not required but USC may send you a request for it and if you do submit one, it def will affect your admissions chances!
Why did I receive a request from USC for mid-year grades? How do I submit them?

Hey! Thanks for the reply. Do you think decrease in grades in the mid year report will lower admission chances? Since i take the full IB diploma, I initially submitted my predicted grades (PGs) , however the grades on my mid year report differ from my pgs. Do you still think its a good idea to send them in? thanks :slight_smile:

This was a really encouraging post! Let’s not forget Jack Ma who was rejected by Harvard 10 times.
The college admission process is largely arbitrary after a certain point. For instance, I was waitlisted at UMass and rejected by GTech but I got into UNC as an international non-legacy student.
Like Warren Buffett said, everything happens for a reason and moreover, where we go to college doesn’t matter even half as much as our attitude towards learning and our ability to make the best use of the resources that are presented to us!

1 Like

Our counselor automatically sends mid-year reports too. So, I can tell you for certain, there are applicants with them.

Did you present your “predicted” grades as grades earned? I would expect that to be more of the issue than the actual grades.

yea I did, however, I’m just worried the grade difference in two transcripts may affect my chances… :confused:

In 2014 and 2017, their directly assigned admissions officer at USC emailed each of my daughters asking for their mid-year grades. And each were ultimately admitted. They do usually request them for those being admitted (unless they already have that info), and yes - those grades do likely matter.

when were they asked to do this?

I haven’t received a request for Mid year reports. Should I be nervous?

1 Like

If you applied through Common app, check and see if your school automatically uploaded it. Ours did on December 3.

my school’s second quarter does not close for another week. with this, we were told grades for the mid-year would be uploaded on CommonApp in 2 weeks. am I at a disadvantage with admissions since I will be getting them so late?

Can you find out more details on the portfolio interview? My daughter applied to Roski and didn’t get an interview so is that a sign?

In 2014, they asked my older daughter on Jan 2nd to fill out again the academic history portion of her application. That of course made little sense, as she just repeated what was already within the common application. But he actually emailed her an academic history form to fill in. They then asked her for her mid-year report on Feb 11th.

In 2017, they asked my younger daughter for her mid-year grades on Jan 17th.

Both were ultimately admitted in March.

We cannot be sure as to why they made these requests, and I am not implying that it is an early indicator of admission if they ask. But as it is with financial aid, our experience has been that they are not shy within admissions about asking for things if they feel like they need additional info to reach a decision.

And both of my daughters did email their assigned admission officer once a statement that they were 100% committed to attending if admitted. Each did so within 14 days of the announcement in January that they had not gotten in already then.

Here’s the link to find yours…

Good luck…

I have the same question too!
I hadn’t even heard of them requesting portfolio reviews from students.

Some clarification regarding “portfolio” interview - it isn’t my daughter but someone we know. They are applying to the film school and it required “supplemental” information as part of their application. I believe this is what was to be reviewed. Hope this helps : )

Just did some searching and this is probably for Dramatic arts. Whew!
https://dramaticarts.usc.edu/programs/undergraduate/apply/bfa/

1 Like

WWWard, did their admissions officer respond to the email?

My daughter emailed, but didn’t get a “thanks” or “glad to hear it” or anything like that back

Yes… in their cases, they did receive a reply. The 2017 reply was as such: “Thank you for your email and for providing this update. I will be sure to have this information submitted to be included with your file. Please let me know, should you have any further questions or concerns. I would be more than willing to offer any assistance that I can.” The 2014 reply was something similar. But please keep in mind that every AO is different in their individual approach… and they are likely a bit overwhelmed currently. And my daughters emailed them later in the cycle.

1 Like

so have we totally written this week off for scholarship invites?

2 Likes