USC Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

Completely agree.

He may still get a scholarship-- that’s what happened to my daughter.

this is true but depends on your school. im speaking from personal experience where my school id very competitive. students take an average of 10 ap classes throughout hs and teachers are in no way leninat. we have some students taking dual enrolment classes since 8th grade so they are all very hard working and our gpas reflect that.

I believe that you are correct. I recall something similar.

Yes I agree with this fully. Grade inflation is fully rampant and gpa fluctuated for even teacher to teacher within a school. SAT/ACT honestly only tests basic high school topics that are required for college anyways do they are still an important measure of basic high school abilities

3 Likes

luckily colleges recalculate Gpas so everyone has a fair playing ground

colleges recalcuatle gpas because grade inflation differs from school to school so essentially everyone’s gpa is comapred equally

That doesn’t change anything though. People who go to an easy high school will always have straight 99s and above. People who go to hard high schools will have 90s-03s. The base grades for those recalculations will still differ

3 Likes

you can’t control that but those getting 99s are most likely taking a few AP classes and if they can’t get 4/5 on those tests then it tells AO how well they can actually perform

are on the east coast?

I have made the following statement each cycle, as I believe it to be very true.

Unfortunately, rejection does come along in life. It’s what you do next that matters most. Steven Spielberg desperately wanted to attend USC SCA… so much so that he tried three times to gain admission. He was rejected all three times. And now there is a building bearing his name within the SCA complex. Bryan Singer tried and was rejected by USC and SCA. He tried a second time and got into USC but again not into SCA. He then succeeded as an internal transfer on his third try. Persistence can also pay off.

Many have faced rejection to their dream schools. In my day, for me… it was Harvard… but Harvard saw it differently. Harvard also rejected Dr. Harold Varmus twice. He simply went on to win a Nobel Prize in Medicine. Harvard also rejected Warren Buffet. They surely would like a do-over on that one.

Every year around this time, it is important to remember that rejections need not control our lives. And with the way that things have evolved… with the Common Application making it far too common for high school seniors to apply to 10+, 15+ or even 20+ schools, those rejections are bound to add up. My older daughter was rejected by 12 out of 17 in 2014. But these rejection letters are not true assessments of student aptitude or ability or the quality of an application. They are simply the natural evolution of a cruel #s game.

USC could clearly admit tens of thousands of quality applicants this year. They are instead stuck with the arduous, unwelcome and nearly impossible task of only picking 8100 out of a field of 70K+. They will even have to reluctantly disappoint 90% of all legacy applicants.

As Warren Buffet says in the article linked below: “The truth is that everything that has happened in my life…that I thought was a crushing defeat at the time, has turned out for the better. A temporary defeat is not a permanent one. In the end it can be an opportunity.”

To all of you active on CC or just following along without posting… good wishes and the best of luck getting in today. If you do not get into USC, hopefully you will find your place at another great option. But clearly some will face disappointment. Some will not gain admission into their dream school. I wish it could be otherwise.

Here’s a link to an excellent article on the subject of those who went on to great success after facing such a similar set-back as aspirational high school seniors aiming for that dream school scenario…

Good Luck to all those who applied to USC and are awaiting the results today.

9 Likes

I’m sorry if I’m late to the conversation but does anyone know what time they’re coming out for the MidWest

We don’t have any exact times

Agreed. Someone needs to come up with a very equitable measure of readiness and intellectual ability. We don’t need genius’s filling every class but a nice mix of great kids. So many kids are wasting their youth grinding out the grades and then the admissions process is so random. So if we had one measure of academic readiness and then the AO’s could balance it with the rest of the great qualities of these kids, then it would be less stressful for everyone.

3 Likes

Strange enough, I can’t look at my Discover USC page. It says “access denied”. I guess it’s because decisions are rolling out for stuff. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

You are not wrong, albeit some schools (like mine) many people know the rigor. However, there are easier teachers, more strict teachers, etc. I’ve had some teachers who definitely weren’t fans of mine so they definitely did me no favors. But GPA definitely can be inflated and it’s not like it only benefits wealthier applicants. That’s why GPA isn’t everything.

2 Likes

lottery will give normal distribution of talents to all school

the real motivation of taking honors and AP classes is to stay away from trouble kids and distraction in class.

3 Likes

Your son has some great options! My son was rejected from ED2 at Chicago and got the USC notice the same day. This is an amazing group of kids and they are all eminently qualified to go to any of these schools. I wish the process weren’t so painful for them!

1 Like

Email was sent to school counselors