USC Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

My D applied to a smaller school at USC that has admittance of around 3% vs Dornsife which had 42% Would you say that acceptance is just as difficult as other popular majors? Also, is she compared to applicants at the same school or compared to all other applicants from different schools within USC?

Thank you for all of your knowledgeable insight!

Thank you for your posts. When are these scholarship interview invitations expected? From the prior posts here, it seems that they are released on Sundays. So, should we expect them on Feb. 7th or 14th?

That’s accurate. NMF automatically gets half tuition as long as you make USC the first choice and has nothing to do with the interview process. My son planned to submit his application in January, however, was told by the USC regional counselor that he had to turn in an application by 12/1 to be eligible for the NSF. It’s actually confusing. To be safe, he got it done in November.

@Luckygal23 where did you see a 42% acceptance rate for Dornslife? That doesn’t sound right. According to this, 42% of USC students are IN Dornslife. https://admission.usc.edu/wp-content/uploads/Freshman-Profile.pdf

1 Like

yes, it’s 42% distribution in Dornsife. I would be celebrating for my son if it’s the acceptance rate :laughing:

1 Like

Sorry meant to say allocation for each school within USC. It is published on their website!

At least, you let my hope up for a few minutes.

1 Like

Anyone on this thread a film/tv major? If so, did you receive a request for an interview?

Just got the email that audition callbacks will go out Sunday!

2 Likes

when did you guys receive it? I still haven’t gotten an email :confused:

Got it around 3-4 PST.

Any white boxes today?

Nope : ( I am thinking next week :)))

Doesn’t seem like there will be any mail. As per the USC Admissions website they say:

Scholarship finalists will receive admission decisions via the USC Applicant Portal in mid-February.

First-Year December 1 applicants who are not selected as scholarship finalists will be notified via email. They will still be considered for admission and will receive their decision by April 1.

So be on the look-out for a portal update!

3 Likes

Thank you for the info - looks like you are right… maybe boxes will be a thing of the past?

I suspect they’ll make an official stance on if they’re sending boxes out for all applicants in March. Sending out boxes to such a small subset of their admitted students isn’t really needed as great as it would be.

If notified favorably about the merit process, you are also already admitted. In the past, that always occurred in late January.

Everyone applies to USC and can select up to two proposed majors in order of the applicant’s goal. Those majors will be within one or two of the various Schools within USC. So, in essence, every applicant is actually applying to USC and to one or two Schools within USC. If admitted, you are admitted to USC and to one of those Schools (but they also have to agree) or simply as Undeclared (should your first and second choices not admit you as well). My younger daughter was admitted only to USC as Undeclared in 2017. Her first and second choice majors were both within SCA. She committed anyhow and then applied for an internal transfer and got into SCA starting for the Spring, doing so over the summer and hearing back by October.

Which school you apply to can make a great deal of difference. Some programs within USC overall have an admit rate as low as 1-2%, for example.

What would be a first is for a portal update to occur during the middle of the week. Some say they posted the 10-11th, that is odd. Mid week portal update just doesn’t happen (or hasn’t in last 10+ years). Wed/Thurs is they day the have always sent packages, with a 2-3 day travel time, then portals updating on Saturday or Sunday.

(There was a random Monday when packages went out one year, but that was due to severe weather in LA that year that messed up postal service.)

They don’t update portals after a date they have specified (that would be rude!)…so I am thinking portals could update this weekend…Just using logic here…next weekend is too late, and they haven’t updated during week (usually to avoid a flood of calls in the first 24 hours after results go out, as people calm down over time) so that leaves us with this weekend.

They also need to stay on track for Explore USC, interviews etc., so they need to get this rolling.

Of course with covid and all, everything is whacky, and predictions are more like a random guess rather than being based on my years of experience and having a student(s) at USC every year for more than a decade, so we shall see!

@WWWard any thoughts/guesses too?

6 Likes

My guess is exactly the same as yours… and for all the reasons enumerated. So I “think” it will begin either late tonight or early tomorrow, Sunday. But, these are strange times, so who knows… maybe a mid-week update is another thing to emerge as a FIRST. I hope not though. Hopefully our guesses are on target and USC will stick with their old formula. Time will tell…

1 Like