USC Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

Getting an interview for a merit scholarship means you’re admitted. You can still get financial aid if you filed the appropriate documents.

1 Like

I submitted my CommonApp and supplemental application on December 3rd instead of December 1st. Will my application be considered for the scholarship decision?

Not to cause further stress, but here’s a little thought experiment: I’ve read that in years past about 40k applicants (out of USC’s total 60k) apply by 12/1 to be considered for merit scholarships, but given the massive spike in applicants at seemingly every school this year, the 12/1 applicant pool will most likely be larger this year. To put this into perspective, here are some stats I found on the internet: UCLA received 33% more applications this year, Yale received 38% more, Dartmouth received 29% more, UVA received 15% more, Harvard received 42% more, and Colgate’s applicants doubled.

If we were to guess that USC received a ~30% increase in applicants, as it is quite an appealing school, that means the 40k who applied by 12/1 last year would turn into 52k this year. I doubt USC will respond to this larger applicant pool by giving out more scholarships this year, and if they do stick with their usual 1,000 to 1,200 nominees that would mean the 12/1 scholarship acceptance rate could dip below 2% :flushed:

Bottom Line: The odds are certainly against our class this year, but just recognizing and understanding the insane competitiveness of this year’s college admissions can help alleviate some of the disappointment and self-pity when results don’t go the way we want em to.

15 Likes

Well thought out post! Definitely true. Though USC has seen (probably) similar applicant pools in size since they reached nearly 65k in 2018-19. I feel like we might see a repeat of then to be honest :thinking:

Nonetheless we should set our expectations accordingly.

Basically, over 95% of applicants should set an expectation of not getting it.

2 Likes

Yes. Or higher. Probably 98 or 99 or more percent will not get it. That’s why I said what I said earlier about managing expectations. College confidential folks tend to skew a little higher than general pool but not enough to justify the enthusiasm and impatience people seem to have over these scholarship decisions–especially this year. College acceptances rates at top schools have been going down for years, and will probably have the most significant drops this year. There has never been a worse time to apply to college in recent memory.

Regarding the USC big scholarships, the vast majority of us will not get one. Of course some will, but most will not. And that is ok. It has to be ok, because it is reality.

We all did our best and we will all get into college and once there will probably feel like we can’t imagine having gone anywhere else.

Good luck to everyone. Just remember, you are not defined by this, or any, decision.

7 Likes

I can’t imagine 5% should expect to get it. Even with a perfect application, the chance is still low. I feel it is a “lottery” school, and you hope they see something different in you.

4 Likes

Does anyone else still think there’s a chance that we can hear back today or tomorrow, the original date was 10/11th so I think that they might’ve just announced they are doing it on Friday and then surprise us with decisions. If not Friday isn’t that long of a wait so I guess its okay.

No. Why would they say more recently–and broadly-- they are coming on Friday only to release them pursuant to an earlier date that was not publicized widely but only in a video only some people saw.

I feel like we are all a bit stressed and anxious right now… to spread positivity, why don’t we all share our stats? :slight_smile:

1 Like

encouragement is always nice to hear

stats are not everything, even regarding scholarships…Many people with 1600/36 won’t get a scholarship, and some with 1450/32 may :slight_smile:
I think it is always about who you are and what you care about rather than just pure stats

2 Likes

That is true, just thought it would give us a break from anxiety for a bit; just chatting and discussing

Does any one know if large scholarships are ever offered for talent? i.e. great dancer, artist, musician etc. Not solely stats?

1 Like

Regarding the “value” in stat sharing, if you look at these boards there are tons of 4.0’s UW and 36/1550+ kids with amazing extracurriculars getting rejected from top 25 schools. These schools all use holistic review. The stat sharing tends to be half people flexing, and half people trying to get others to “chance me” when the others have no better idea than they themselves do.

At these top schools, luck is always involved. Yes, if you have a 3.5 and a 31 you need more luck than a 4.0 with a 36. But the 4.0 with a 36 still needs a whole lot of luck. Just ask my brother (Eff you, Harvard!).

All of our applications are in, the die has been cast. There is literally nothing we can do now except wait. Getting false hope from people praising your stats, or unnecessary anxiety from folks making you feel you don’t have what it takes, will not change the ultimate outcome.

Just roll a 50 sided die now. Ask the group if they think it landed on a 50. Their guesses will have no bearing on whether it actually did land on a 50. And to make a finer point on the issue, anyone would be foolish to guess it landed on a 50 (versus not landing on a 50) because 98 percent of the time it would not!

It is no different with these USC scholarships (which are projected to have acceptance rates lower than Harvard and Stanford). Nobody has any clue who will get one other than it is an absolute certainty very few will.

I know this is so hard, but unfortunately, now, it is out of our control.

Good luck to all.

12 Likes

Since they use holistic review to decide whom to give scholarship and whom not, the answer to your question is yes.
However, even if you have a unique talent there is no guarantee. Since they review holistically, they will look not only at your talent but also at your stats

3 Likes

Yep. It’s all a crapshoot. Kids with perfect or
close to perfect SAT’s and GPA’s have always gotten rejected from top schools and it seems more prevalent than ever this year. I used to think it meant those kids didn’t have other talents or EC’s but have learned that is very much not the case. Preparing myself for the possibility that my son and many of his friends may end up at their safeties. Still hard to believe - they are smart, talented, giving kids. Thankfully they will all have some options. The benefit of going to a safety is the chance for a lot of merit aid- have told my son that if he goes that route everything we have saved for undergrad will now be applied to grad school.

Good luck to all.

8 Likes

Gloyra Kauffman does give talent scholarships, but their website says dance applicants will not hear in the early round.

1 Like

Here is something more productive than stressing over this we can do with our time.

At 5 pm ET (about 5 hours and 13 minutes from now), I will roll a 50 side die.

Reply below with your guess.

Winner gets a USC scholarship (not really). Maybe I can mail you a dollar! (and just 1 person–you all can’t pick 7 and make me send $1000 out!) First one wins.

2 Likes

i know for a fact that merit scholarships are not all stats. historically from my school the most unexpected people will get merit scholarships. last year a girl with a 4.2 gpa (great gpa but definitely lower than many other people who go to my school) got a presidential scholarship. everyone was shocked but no one could deny that she’s an amazing writer and perfect fit for usc.

3 Likes