USC Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

I see no reason for them to release the decisions earlier than announced, especially being so close to the date. However, if they continue the practice, I do feel they may have started sending out the white boxes to the recipients. Which would be really really cool and give the mail a little time to try and beat the email.

i was wondering how many people get scholarship interviews but don’t actually get the scholarship? do u think since usc had less time to read all the applications they’ll offer more ppl the interview but then take their time to select from there?

i would be very lucky to even get an interview but in that situation, i don’t want to get my hopes up :frowning:

since about 2/3 of the students who will be offered an interview will receive a scholarship, probably 1/3 will not

3 Likes

Given that these early notifications are about two weeks later this year than in years past, has anyone heard anything about the timing of the remaining admission schedule? Is everything going to be pushed two weeks later this year? I haven’t seen any Explore USC dates, and the website says all decisions will be issued “by April 1”, but I don’t know if that is set in stone.
@CADREAMIN or @WWWard Any insight or inside information on this?

People entitle to expectations can be larger than the no of actual invitees

I’m not sure exactly what you are trying to say, but I will say this,

at this level–a top 25 school offering full scholarships–NO ONE is entitled to EXPECT to win.

4 Likes

One can expect but doesn’t mean he/she is invited

Appears you are from CA?
I would seriously consider UCLA or a Berkeley, which are arguably much better academic schools and certainly far more affordable for in state residents, depending on financial awards.

1 Like

Most top universities have acceptance dates of May 1 and May 3rd so it can’t go too far in to April. Ivy announcement date got postponed to April 6th.

I know all this. I was asking if there happened to be any specific information out there for USC Explore dates and/or updated decision and SIR dates, particularly given that these early decisions have been pushed forward two weeks. I haven’t been able to find information on this as yet, but was asking if anyone else has.

I know from a few universities, that the dates are the same. USC Has said April first so we can expect it by then. I know BC has kept it the same as the last week or March so I presume its the same. However, they could change it.

I agree that UCs are far more affordable for a in-state student. However, I would argue that at both UCLA and UCB, while they are great academic institutions, you do lose some of the personal attention and access to opportunities including research at a school like USC.

3 Likes

I disagree. In certain areas like film USC would be the stronger choice. For academia, engineering, etc UCLA and UCB are higher rated and more highly respected than USC , historically and current. Also, “research” at the undergrad level is rather uncommon in general. USC has made great strides, with some recent backsliding, but their need for profit over state funding has allowed for some poor decisions to the students detriment.
What USC has always had is a happy social student body, and a very strong Greek and football culture. For specific majors like CS, schools like UW, GT, and UI Urbana are top tier. UVa and Michigan as well.

3 Likes

This is really not the thread to be debating whether USC is a better or worse school than others. If you’d like to start your own thread on this topic, please do.

3 Likes

@amsunshine

I was answering a question on USC affordability for those in the middle financial range, suggesting an alternative dependent on financial aid. That seemed quite responsive.

You in turn changed the topic to how USC was better than those schools.

I questioned your conclusion in a response as I felt it misleading.

There are 500 replies here on a public forum most of which added no new information so I don’t feel it was inappropriate and may indeed help someone.

5 Likes

You actually did not answer any question. You just offered your opinion unsolicited. I did not say anything about whether USC was better or worse. That was someone else. If you look back, you will see that. This is a thread for applicants to USC and their parents interested in information related to that. Again, it is not a thread for debating about whether USC or other schools are better or worse. That would be a topic for a separate thread as it derails this one.

3 Likes

I was trying to answer this which I had quoted by suggesting more affordable higher rated in state alternatives.

“ With an acceptance… unless some serious merit aid comes along with it Lord knows how to pay for this school : ( Kinda stuck in the middle… can not afford to pay - earn too much to get aid”

And yes, my daughter applied to USC too.

1 Like

There was no question in that post.

2 Likes

Honestly, I think that it is ok to say your point of view in this thread. [arbitrary99] arbitrary99 said info that was both interesting and relevant to me as senior who is comparing schools and their costs. I think this thread CAN actually be a thread for debating about whether USC or other schools are better or worse. This is a thread for USC applicants. Anyone can share any ideas connected to USC if they want to.

5 Likes

My intent in responding to the cost question relating to UCLA/UCB vs USC was to point out that while $ are important from a cost angle, and UCLA/UCB are stellar educational institutions, USC offers some advantages that large public schools like UCLA/UCB can’t offer. My son is at UIUC (another great public school) and our decision to send him OOS and pay OOS tuition, was because of the ability to get classes and graduate in 4 years whereas at many UCs for Engineering and Computer Science (which is what he is studying) it can be a challenge to do so. USC of course, is much more expensive without aid (for which we didn’t qualify) so we chose a different option, though Viterbi has a great program. There is always a balance between cost/affordability and fit.

I learn so much from these forums, I think any respectful dialogue, and information is valuable. Sometimes, makes me think differently, so I always appreciate the input.

7 Likes