USC Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

my daughter’s in a double in Marks - she doesn’t even think she listed Marks as one of her 5 choices. and she went random (didn’t select a roommate ahead of time)

Kind of odd she didn’t get any of her choices. Did she apply late?

Can also happen if a student just picks dif configurations in the same building or just the Village for example, as aside from McCarthy scholarship students, freshman don’t get (at least in previous years).

Is that Parkside A&S? It sounds like Parkside IRC…

D got assigned to a 3 person single at McCarthy. She has a check-in appointment on August 14th. Is this when we drop her off?

Yes. They will be sending more info about move in. Prob too early to say how move in will happen - if it’s a drop off and how much parents can be part of moving in. Hopefully by then it will be even more open than it is today.

Thank you.

she can’t see what she picked but she did something like
birnkrant triple
mccarthy (double?)
birnkrant double
parks
pardee
and she was online right when it opened but it took about 45 minutes to actually get into the system

That’s super interesting, with all those choices it seems she would have got one! They must really be shaking it up and trying to make things work. Marks is part of freshman quad, so not big dif between Birkrant and Pardee. She will like it there.

She’ll be fine : ) I think the thing she was most disappointed with is that the floors on Marks aren’t co-ed.

Is says You have been assigned to Parkside Apts in a 1B2P - I have no idea what it is :frowning:

OK special interest PIRC - What is that? lol

Parkside IRC - International residential college. They must be doing some shuffling and reconfiguring of placement. Those were usually mostly international and families, but some freshman too mixed in. They have some dorm rooms and apartments in that building.

Is it something “weird” and not ideal for a freshman? She does like the idea of an apartment.

Did a search… found:

"“Parkside Darkside”

While some people say inhabitants of Parkside are “antisocial” (incorrect usage of the term), I personally enjoy sleeping in a place where there isn’t music blasting from the next room or people throwing up in the bathrooms. As an introvert, I definitely appreciate the quiet, safe haven of Parkside."

My D got McCarthy 3 person double

It will be great and they are likely setting things up differently this year throughout some of the buildings. It got it’s darkside reputation there because no one spoke english and/or it was families, and if you got on an elevator, there was no eye contact or conversation, people just kept to themselves and their own little pocket of people. They are nice facilities and I bet it will be more diverse in a good way than it use to be.

Oh they also put some athletes in there because it has AC and is a quieter dorm. The type of sports/athletes that are not crazy partiers. There are some of those. :slight_smile:

DS lived in Parkside (not IRC, but directly across the walkway entrance). Yes, it’s generally quieter than the other more socially active dorms, but wasn’t boring at all to my son. He loved his spacious 2 person room, big windows, and overall cleanliness of the bldg. Nice shaded study/relaxing area in the main walkway in between Parkside and IRC. Many consider Parkside dining to be one of the better dorm options on campus. He was initially concerned about the distance, being tucked into the corner of campus, but it wasn’t a problem. Last thing, DPS office is a stone throw down the street :grinning:

Parkside A&S and Parkside IRC are completely different worlds. The only thing they have in common is the name. But agree, Parkside has a great dining hall and the rooms are super nice being one of the newer facilities (until the Village came along).

Given covid, the way a building was may not be what they will be next fall.

My S also loved Parkside A&S - it was very social for him and their 8 person suite - the whole floor were friends!