USC Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

Hello! I was admitted last night into Dornsife and I have a question about the scholarships. The scholarship section on my letter said “You have been selected as a finalist for a USC merit scholarship. A scholarship interview will be the next step in competing for a full or half tuition award.” What does this mean exactly? Like am I only in the running for those two scholarships? Is any scholarship money guaranteed at all? How likely is it to get one of the two? Thank you so much!

Wait … we’re u just admitted last night ? I thought everyone was notified on Friday ? ?

Someone mentioned this before a long time ago, but basically that’s why they only tend to invite the NMF to interview if they think they would be in the running for full tuition.

You’re welcome. That’s what I recall occurring last cycle. If you look though last year’s thread, you will likely see exactly when those people heard. Maybe just search for one or more of those key words… Thornton, IYA, etc.

As stated above, they do not stack.

Did those that were admitted ever receive an email directing them to their portal? The only emails I saw posted were telling people they were not in the running for scholarships.

It could be that someone who isn’t on CC or Reddit heard from friends that portals were updated and just checked last night.

Trustee and Presidential don’t stack but other merit awards do (outside scholarships, NMSC scholarship, Viterbi Fellows, etc). You can receive up to the estimated cost of attendance (COA) which, this year, was $66,805 for students living at home or $79,063 for students living on/off campus. https://financialaid.usc.edu/undergraduates/prospective/how-much-wil-my-education-cost.html

1 Like

are there any admission portal indicators or glitches before admission status update that might indicate an acceptance or rejection

My daughter received an email directing her to the portal for an update.

1 Like

That’s a good sign.

Thanks for sharing. When did she receive that? Maybe the student who says they found out last night didn’t check their email.

Oh sorry I meant Friday night!

My daughter received her email Friday evening.

Can some explain to me what the Mork scholarship is? I didn’t recive an email or portal update on it or anything, someonr else just mentioned it and now im curious.

This link provides an overview…

Merit Scholarships | Academic Honors and Fellowships | USC

I mentioned Mork. It is a full-tuition plus stipend scholarship given to a small number of students (10). It isn’t listed on the pdf of scholarships for 2020-2021 so I was wondering if it is no longer being awarded.

Were the white boxes only given to merit finalists or does everyone receive a white box that gets accepted…that’s if they even do that anymore!

Normally everyone gets a white box. Until last March, when due to covid, the March admits did not receive it. They actually just got theirs in the last week or two, almost a year after the fact (and one reported it was a big envelope versus the white box). Years and years ago it was also a big gold envelope with a red folder, so maybe they are returning to a version of that???Merit recipients did not get one last week either, we can only hope that tradition - whether box or envelope - will return at some point.

1 Like

Thanks for your valuable insight. My daughter was fortunate enough to be a selected as finalist and have watched sooooooooo many youtube videos with folks receiving their package and has always thought that was a super cool tradition. No package this week and based on what I’m hearing about package arrivals last week for students in their second semester, it is probably doubtful.

@Vadaddy Congrats to your fam and your daughter! Yes, watching mine find the box (it was always a surprise for them) are some of my tippy top memories for them. We are rural-ish, so have a big mailbox down a long driveway and it made for a dramatic discovery for them and for me to witness! I confess, I peeked while they were at school, but left it for them to find. While the angst of waiting for them was brutal, it was really great for those that received them. I sure hope they bring them back! (And yes, we still have all four of them, with one still at USC.)

1 Like