USC Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

What does RD stand for?

regular decision

We never even looked at it. There are so many factors that FA will consider, so it is unlikely that any form of calculator can accurately account for all of those potential variables.

No. They do not have rolling admissions for RD candidates. It is possible that someone just figured out that they were admitted in the merit round recently versus when they were announced. And it is potentially possible that someone in a performance major just found out today about being admitted with merit scholarship consideration. But I do not believe that anyone was admitted regular decision today. That has never occurred before circa March 24th.

1 Like

my daughter is wondering the same thing – there isn’t much info.

As @WWWard said, RD doesn’t apply to USC unless you consider March to be that, but it is not referred to as that.

There’s Merit and March decisions, then some (very small amount because they are small programs) performance majors can hear in between.

I have a long housing post I can put back up, still applicable…let me give it a once over and will post…

That would be awesome, thanks.

I’ve had one or two students consistently at USC for 10 years and have spent a lot of time on campus, so this is what I have learned/seen over my time there and gleaned from my kids and their friends. I tried to update this best I can, of course, I am not sure what will change with this covid thing or if they have done any remodeling/re-assigning of buildings. If they have to limit # of people in a room/suite to less than what they currently have, it could change availablity/options. But generally speaking…

Here’s a rundown…of course individual experiences vary and room mates can certainly impact an experience. Many love the shiny new factor of the Village and parents certainly do, but I encourage parents to let their student decide - it is where they are living. Also keep in mind housing at Village is for merit student freshman that choose it, it is very very low probablility for other freshman (sometimes zero). Some merit choose to live elsewhere as they prefer a dorm experience over a suite experience.

For the most part, who you live with and around (having ability to meet people) is more important than the physical aspects of building. An 18 year old is adaptable, more than us old parent types! If the student doesn’t care about AC and wants a good social aspect (not saying party dorm, just super friendly atmosphere with lots of activities and ways to meet people) then Birnkrant, Pardee, Marks Tower are all great and part of the freshman quad. New North is definitely known as the fun dorm. But keep in mind the academic level of USC nowadays, no dorm is Animal House. Birnkrant kept it’s honors reputation (it was honors dorm prior to Village) and there is a Starbucks in the bottom of it. It is known as “8 floors of open doors.” I haven’t known anyone that didn’t love living there. Not fancy and a traditional dorm set up, but its academic/social balance remains strong. All these are just across the street from the Village shops and food.

If you want AC and suite set up, then Village, Parkside or Fluor all offer that, but a suite is a different social experience than the dorms. Some prefer this, others find them limiting socially, depends on the individual. Fluor is nice apartments but more isolating and closed door. Parkside is on the far side of campus, but newer building (relative to some others) and nice suites, close to engineering. Parkside residents do a lot together because they are off to themselves. Also known to have the best food.

Do not only list all 5 choices in the Village - or you will be surprised when you are stuck “wherever” because you don’t list enough choices building wise. If not in McCarthy honors, Village is an outlier of random/leftover spots (if any) for freshman (other than honors who get McCarthy). Sophomores fill it up with early assignment that is done first and given priority. There are other places on campus where freshman living is focused. I get AC is huge or a must for some people, but I would suggest adding additional factors to that as the highest priority of your USC living experience if you can. Although there can be a couple periods of heat, it is California, not the south, no humidity. There is a reason shacks go for millions here.

Do not put all five configurations in one building because if full, then they get to make your “second choice” and will put you wherever they want. Give them some choices.

From being around a lot of students over the years, what I have heard consistently is the entire freshman quad area (Birnkrant, Pardee, Marks, etc.) is one of the best places you can live, even without AC. It is where you do the most as a freshman and can meet the most freshman. USC is a HUGE school with 40,000 people, a lot of them graduate students. In the freshman quad area it is great to be grabbing coffee at that Starbucks or sitting out by the pond with other freshman. If you are throwing frisbee in the lawn, or studying at a table outside, it is freshman sitting next to you and walking by. Anyone in that area is a freshman - all those buildings might as well be considered one building, they way everyone interacts. So if you choose or end up in the freshman quad area it will be great too. It is so easy to make friends over there. Parkside has it’s own little community on it’s side (although a lot socialize over at freshman quad side too) and is known to have great food.

Again, sophomores are given housing priority in the Village, so if you don’t live in the Village as a freshman (most don’t), you have a really good chance of living there as a sophomore (but there are some that don’t get it). If you do, you get to experience two different types of housing in college. It all works out!

Kids that are interested in going Greek tend to live in New North. It has been known that way for years. It has a big sorority/fraternity contingency that chooses to live there.

Don’t worry about living by your “major” school, as freshman you will likely be all over campus with GEs and activities. It’s not that big a campus, everything is pretty close really.

There is a place for everyone and there really isn’t a bad living arrangement at USC, truly.

11 Likes

This is super helpful. Thank you. I read another post that said kids can change their minds about which dorm and still keep their place in line up until the point that the housing apps close. Is that your understanding? This is a lot of pressure all of a sudden!

Absolutely. You can change your mind up to close of application. For one of mine, we applied in first 10 minutes of application opening. But then we changed hers literally a minute before it closed (don’t recommend that pressure) and daughter got the “updated” number one choice that hadn’t even been on the first list, so I know it works!

So key is to fill it out best you can quickly, pay the fee and hit submit, then go back and change as you learn more.

Ok, that takes the pressure off!! Thanks again.

1 Like

When are early admits able to choose housing? Did someone say March 1?

Yes that’s what they said on the call.

Does anyone know anything about The Lorenzo student living apartment? I am an incoming freshmen at USC and i have a few friends who live in the lorenzo currently, is that a good option for a freshman?

There is a Facebook group for USC parents. I’ll warn you that it is a large group and can be quite opinionated but it is a good place to ask for feedback about off campus housing and dorms. It is called, " USC Parents Group (University of Southern California)"

3 Likes

Lorenzo is quite a ways from campus (not walkable) and relies on unreliable shuttles at times. It’s a great place as an upperclassman with a car and friends (shi-shi and lots of perks) but the distance and non-walkable in general location (to food, or anything else really) makes it undesirable for a new freshman at least in my opinion.

A fee is required when applying for housing? I thought it wasnt necessary to pay the deposit

The letter sent to returning students said, "There will be no application fee charged at this time. Application fees will only be billed to students who obtain and are able to move into a USC Housing assignment this fall."

1 Like

So are they waiving it for new students or just returning students?

There has always been a $45 or so fee, which maybe they are waiving this year cause of covid…I assume so they don’t have to deal with refunding if housing is whack again? Previously, you paid the app fee whether you attended or not, so paying after you get housing seems more fair anyway.