USC Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

There may well be some merit (no pun intended) to this logic. USC is a smart institution that has substantial data analysis capabilities to hone their decisions. I would be surprised if factors like financial aid and plausibility of accepting the offer weren’t factored in. I know students that got accepted early for example to HYPS, and weren’t chosen for the merit scholarships. It’s hard to believe they wouldn’t be in the top at USC. All were coming from private college prep schools and didn’t apply for financial aid.

1 Like

I do not work for the university but I believe that USC is looking for a specific type of student when offering merit aid - One who articulated visions and goals that align with the university’s visions/goals. So, while your daughter sounds magnificent and may be admitted, she might not be what they are looking for in their merit scholars.

1 Like

That’s a great question! I was wondering that too.

I’m quite skeptical of this. What sort of unique differentiated values and visions will these applicants have that aren’t present in other super highly qualified applicants? A student that can get in REA/SCEA at HYPS would have everything and more of what USC desires. It’s easier to believe they give merit aid to get better students than what they could attract otherwise, and write off those that could get in to a HYPS where the money died by mage a difference. At the end of the day, USC is a sophisticated business.

2 Likes

My sons’ high school is listed as one of the top eight most represented high schools. Do you think that would help or hurt their applications?

you child will be judged against the other kids at his school. so it depends where he falls in the class, how favorable a report the school writes for you and what his counselor says.

1 Like

USC just announced that they will be having a commencement, this is great news, but it is limited to just the in-state students… does anyone think that this might reflect on Fall 2021. I am scared that out of state students won’t get to live on campus or move to USC due to restrictions…

Well, it’ll be a lot of trouble to try getting 3,000~ people on-campus from their states/places of residence and things aren’t certain with the virus so it makes sense that it’s limited to only in-state students.

This probably won’t have much of a bearing on the Fall considering the vaccine and things looking like they’re easing up a bit in SoCal. I bet they just don’t want to risk cases going up b/c of their own mismanagement.

Graduation is quite a bit bigger than that. In 2019, they graduated 19,000 with more than 60,000 in attendance. There were 5,656 undergraduate degrees and 13,448 graduate degrees granted. This place is a machine.

Their graduation is an amazing production. I’m sure they are trying to make 2021 something spectacular for those that can attend.

2 Likes

Does USC announce all majors on the 30th, or do some schools at USC find out earlier?

Ours as well.

do admissions compare student’s applications from the same school?

If you were to ask an AO or director of admissions, they would say “No but we look at the context of your school (academic opportunities, AP classes et.).” I would say you’re more competing with kids in your region. But that doesn’t mean they don’t decide between two students from the same school. If that make sense.

would this be the case if the 2 students were applying for the same major only?

lot of colleges do.
With some exceptions, most HS don’t get more than 2 or 3 into same top school per year.

1 Like

Yes. Mainly for the same major or college within the university.

1 Like

would it be the case for international students as well? I’m from Hong Kong and I do the ibdp and it is very competitive here… I’m just worried that my scores won’t impress admissions when they compare it to other students from the same region / HS

would they also compare apps if they were applying to 2 different major? I understand that they evaluate apps under specific schools and then under admissions office as a whole.

I don’t think it will apply to students as students are moving to campus to stay and the travel restrictions may be lifted by August. :crossed_fingers:They may have requirements for testing and quarantine if one isn’t vaccinated (or maybe even if they are).

UC Berkeley’s Chancellor recently announced their plans for the fall. The first week will be virtual as everyone gets tested. After that they expect most classes to be offered in person. Obviously Berkeley and USC are in different counties but there is hope. https://news.berkeley.edu/2021/03/16/an-update-on-uc-berkeleys-plans-for-the-fall-semester-2/

1 Like

Yes I would assume so. I am just an applicant so I am not 100% sure. Colleges have no problem accepting multiple students from the same high school. For example, there is a school in my region that has about 120 NMSF every year(there class size is about 800). Good luck to you!