USC Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

I am just an applicant so I definitely don’t know a lot about college admissions. I think regardless of whether another applicant goes to the same high school as you, applicants are competing against each other for the same school/major. For example, if you applied to Viterbi, you probably have higher stats and will be competing against people who have excelled in math and science in HS. However, I just told another person that colleges have no problem accepting multiple people from the same HS.

Sorry for the long paragraph. To answer your question, in a way yes, but ultimately if you are a well rounded student with good grades, extracurriculars, good essays, and show a passion for USC that’s what matters. That’s just my opinion.

Does USC announce all majors on the 30th, or do some schools at USC find out earlier?

KCal News says any students can sign up for graduation, but they are limited to two guests each, and guests must come from in-state. It will also be broadcast live. Of course, that’s what the news said, not something directly from the school.

The entire UC and CSU systems have announced they will be in-person in the fall. They have been the most conservative with restrictions, due to their size, so I imagine if they’re open, every school in California probably will be.

That’s pretty accurate. There is currently a travel restriction in California. The school is working with the state and county to see if they can find a way to allow out of state family to attend.
https://commencement.usc.edu/

https://commencement.usc.edu/faq-for-class-of-2021/

I believe the plan is for the UCs and CSUs to have in-person classes in the fall because we don’t know what may happen between now and then with COVID-19. Some campuses might have 50% or less capacity in classrooms to maintain social distancing if COVID still lingers. It’s very much a moving target right now.

1 Like

It helps in the sense that USC knows that high school well. But in reality, each applicant will still be evaluated holistically using a # of divergent factors… including how they positioned themselves using the Why USC? reasoning. Good Luck…

As an OOS parent with a senior graduating in May, I certainly hope that the commencement restrictions requiring guests to be in-state is altered by then. I of course attended my older daughter’s USC graduation in 2018, and I cannot imagine not being able to attend this year. It even sounds like graduating seniors who are not already in CA are prohibited from attending.

I had a question about majors. I’ve heard from someone that when students apply their applications are sent to USC, the individual colleges will receive them first and then during the admission meetings root for students they want. Is admissions to USC very general or is it based on the major you choose.

@WWWard You have to be there! I’m sure out of state seniors that want to attend will make their way there before hand. No way for them to know who is in town and who isn’t. They can’t tell the kid from NY who is already there, living a block off campus, that they can’t come, right? That makes no sense. And we know they have a place to stay as most anyone off campus had to keep paying their lease for the last year whether there or not, ugh. My D’s out of state friends have been going in and out of CA pretty much the entire time and were good about quarantining/getting tests, etc. especially during the thick of things. Keep those reservations, I have a feeling you will be there, things are changing everyday!

Please understand that USC must follow both state and county guidelines. They have been very clear that they are actively working with state officials to see if there is any avenue to allow out-of-state residents to attend the ceremonies and will advise of any new developments as soon as they have them.

LA county is moving through the tiers quickly and may be in yellow before graduation. If this happens, the rules regarding who can attend graduation may change.

2 Likes

Believe me, for all of us with upperclassman and years at USC with many contacts there know what is going on, and the seniors are excited there is some kind of ceremony. USC is doing a great job to make things happen. There are a lot of out of state upperclassman that have been at USC during all this (as they are grown ups that live there) so it makes sense they would go to graduation. Not encouraging anyone, just calling it like it is, people can make their own choices, and yes, it is a public forum.

For Roski (Art) what you stated is correct. Roski college reviews it first then submits their recommendation to USC admissions. Also if Roski rejected someone , USC can override

2 Likes

Does USC announce all majors on the 30th, or do some schools at USC find out earlier?

All majors, though some smaller programs (think Thornton performance) may have been in some form of communications with applicants already.

Good luck to anyone that also applied to UCLA with those results rolling out at anytime!

1 Like

thank you! any idea about when the Glorya Kaufman School of Dance will notify?

Rooting for you @eligrayy! With your super supportive nature, you will be a great addition wherever you land!

2 Likes

The dance major I know was contacted just ahead of the results by a few days as they were being waitlisted because of the size of the program. USC doesn’t have a waitlist in general sense but because of size of this program (6) they did. So not sure if they were contacted earlier because of the waitlist to try to encourage him to stay on it once official results came out, or if that is normal m.o. Good luck, I know they highly regarded the dance program there.

Gotchu, thank you!

Thank you so much! Hopefully I can get on the other side sooner rather than later :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: