USC(no scholarship) vs UCSB(Regents) vs Umiami(24k/yr)

<p>I'm an international student (Asian girl) with balanced strengths and interests. Currently I am inclined to major in business/economics or engineering(probably computer engineering).
I'd probably end up studying Computer engineering to earn money after graduation, and to possibly stay in the U.S. </p>

<p>I've been in the states for more than 6 years and, when applying to college, as you could probably tell, focused on the social scene more than other aspects. (too stressed throughout middle and high school).
Now that I've been admitted to three awesome (academically and socially) schools varying in so-called "ranking", and received from 0-24000 merit scholarship per year, I really don't know how to decide anymore.</p>

<p>My family is not wealthy at all compared to many other students attending these three schools, we could hardly afford usc.</p>

<p>Anyone has any suggestions about what aspects I should consider now? Which one should I choose?</p>

<p>Hi Scarlett,</p>

<p>I saw that nobody had answered your post, so I thought I would give it a try. I understand that in addition to academics, you also want to focus on obtaining a full college experience. As a result, you have chosen schools in very nice locations that will definitely have a social scene. You will definitely enjoy your 4 years at any of the 3 schools you mentioned above. Think about the financial aspect. Will you burden your family with the bill from USC? If so, you may want to consider your other two possibilities. Are you in California? If so, would you incur travel costs attending Miami that would be difficult to afford? </p>

<p>It sounds like you will do well academically at any of the 3 schools. They are all in great locations. I can only speak, with confidence, about the University of Miami. The campus is very pretty and you will find a vibrant social life there. The school is very good and has so much to offer. If it makes sense financially, then it is a great choice. </p>

<p>Go to USC its a much better school, and they meed FULL demonstrated need, so money won’t be that much of an issue. </p>

<p>I’d wait until you get your merit & FAid statement to see how much you need to pay out of pocket (including loans) and whether your family can comfortably afford each of the Us and then make your choice. Not all Us provide “full” need, especially for international students. Also, what families think their need is often differs A LOT from what the U will award.</p>

<p>I applied to all three of those lol I got into ucsb and miami. Got the big D from USC.</p>

<p>Ucsb is higher ranked than Miami in nearly every college ranking (USN, Forbes, washington monthly, Arwu, times,etc), and is also a lot cheaper especially if in state. It doesn’t have a business major though, so you would need to pick Econ/accounting/engineering/etc. </p>

<p>Miami on the other hand is private and you will get smaller classes if you are into that. It also has a football team.</p>

<p>USC is by far the best out of the three academically, but if you are planning to get a graduate degree, paying 50k+ may not be a great idea since undergrad doesn’t matter too much.</p>

<p>If I got into USC id be there in a second. Id go to ucsb over miami though.</p>

<p>Hmmm… yes, three great schools. First, I would call USC to ask when your financial package will arrive. If it is anywhere close to UMiami, then go to USC. It is the best school with an amazing network and career office. If you aren’t going to get any financial help from USC then I would go to UMiami. The small private school experience in the U.S. can be an amazing education. Small class sizes, professors know you by name, the campus has a community feel, lots of opportunities for students. UCSB is a big public school. You will be a number not a name. </p>

<p>UMiami actually looks and feels a bit like UCSB. Kids are a little better dressed as it is “beach preppy”. Boys wear polos, girls wear dresses and sandals. Although there are lots of flip flops too at UMiami . It’s attached to a very prestigious medical school – Jackson Memorial. It’s in Coral Gables, which is a beautiful neighborhood and safe. They are bit in sports and spirit if that’s important to you. UMiami feels closer to USC than UCSB does. </p>