UT Austin class of 2026 admissions

While some people are wondering why they didn’t get their decision, my DS1 got the decision (rejection) sooner than we expected. DS1 submitted the application close to Dec 1st deadline which per UTA website should get decision by March 1st. Only the priority applications submitted by Nov 1st were expected to get decisions by Feb 1. Since Dec 1 was the final deadline, does this mean everyone has got their decisions now?

Are you referring to an Honors decision or UTA admission decision?

Regular UTA admission decision.

Yes- I think it is typical for students to double major in Plan 2 and something else. So, technically, yes…she can do both. Now the difficulty of doing engineering and Plan 2 is another matter for discussion. There are definitely students doing this path. My daughter has to do some legwork now - hopefully this will include visiting campus specifically to learn more about Plan 2 and her double major - so that she can make a decision between the schools she’s considering.

Wow, that just boggles my mind. As an engineering major, I placed out of several classes and also took a few classes during the summer and barely managed to graduate in four years. The sum of my true electives was: two semesters of astronomy, one semester of tennis, and one semester of racquetball.

I would just urge her to think carefully about double majoring. Engineering employers are not going to be impressed with the Plan II major. They would be more interested in a student who took extra engineering design classes. For example, I was a structural engineering student, so taking classes such as masonry design, prestressed concrete design, and long span design would be much more helpful than electives in language or history. If she wants to be a design engineer, she needs to stay focused. I can’t even describe how much there is to learn. I was valedictorian, blah blah blah, but found UT engineering to be really tough. :slight_smile: I had dreams of continuing to study piano while in college, but after my first two weeks on campus knew that wasn’t going to happen.

3 Likes

just checked my portal, my deans scholar application was deferred but CSB and Turing are still under review with no update yet

@Sophiaaalexa Did you see the deferral message on the Honors tab and did it read something like “We’re still reviewing your …” or did it say the word deferral?

When I click on it, it’s says “Given the number of applications we’ve received and the increasing demand for some programs, we find that we must complete an additional review of your application before making a final decision.

We will do everything we can to provide a decision notification efficiently and no later than March 1. Thank you for your patience and interest in UT Austin!"

Seems like they have not completed the review yet, to me it does not sound like a deferral.
Thoughts from our resident experts?

My Harvard deferral was worded almost identical to that and I know some people have already heard back so I just assumed, but who knows with UT

1 Like

They did this last year. If it’s like last year, there have been acceptances already (I know of a few this year) but there will still be some more.
Please remember that getting into one of these programs is harder than getting into Stanford. The acceptance rate is something like 3%. And every year there are more and more applicants - the rate may be even lower this year. The people who get admitted aren’t always the best at something. They truly look at these applications differently. You might be surprised at who gets in. I really hate to say it but just assume you won’t get in, then if you do you will be over the moon!

2 Likes

There have been Dean Scholar acceptances already?

I don’t remember exactly. I think I saw Dean’s on Reddit. I know I saw HSS on Reddit.

I know I saw about 4 people say they got rejected from Deans yesterday and about a month and a half ago I saw two people say they were accepted to deans, all of this i saw on Reddit

1 Like

Did you happen to get an email stating there was an update in your portal? Just curious.

Found one on Reddit: Reddit - Dive into anything
deans

Last year they extended it to March also. There were still acceptances to be had, so if not rejected already then you are still under consideration. I remember people posting on the last day that they got in.

no email yet, I just religiously log into MyStatus multiple times daily ahah and I noticed there was a small change to my honors page for deans

1 Like

Thanks! We see the same on our side. At least it is better than a rejection!

1 Like

agreed!

1 Like