UT Austin class of 2026 admissions

when did you receive the virtual admitted student’s day email? Our D22 is admitted to BHP. She has not received any email

I think it’s just for Turing students. The email reads " Turing Scholars - Admitted Student Events" so I presume they might be doing it for BHP separately.

My S received his save the date Discover Canfield BHP invitation in the mail this week. It came in a large envelope with his acceptance letters. We are OOS.

Thank you. My D received the letter in the mail today as well. We are OOS

Thought some folks here might find this amusing about UT admissions. My son’s classmate was accepted to (and will attend) MIT. . . . UT CAP’d him.

7 Likes

That’s interesting. Do you mind sharing his stats?

My daughter got her tower banner in the mail yesterday.

Are you out of state?

I can one up you on this one. Lol. My son has a friend that graduated from his HS last year that got denied admission into UT for Computer Science. He did get admitted to Caltech, MIT, Princeton, and Cornell. He chose MIT.

3 Likes

Re stats, all I know is that he’s a NMSF. (My son’s school had 4.) Don’t know anything else.

No, we’re in state and pretty local. So, probably another day or two for out of state snail mail.

1 Like

Absolutely ridiculous, demonstrating that admission to UT isn’t “difficult,” as much as it is based on factors having nothing to do with academic ability.

4 Likes

That’s even more interesting. If a high school has only 4 NMSF, it’s not a competitive high school IMHO. Is he low income or does he have some other hooks?

Maybe it’s not UT but MIT who did something unusual

You would be wrong about how competitive it is. I’ll avoid too much detail for anonymity reasons, but it’s a small school ranked very highly (well within the top 1%) in Texas by every measure I have seen.

1 Like

well, there are over 15000 NMSF nationwide. maybe it’s a small high school. about 10% of the kids in my son’s high school are NMSF and I wouldn’t say it’s a very competitive high school.
I would guess he must have some other spikes or hooks.

Which school (between MIT and UT) do you think is more concerned on a student-by-student basis on academic strength and ability? I’ll leave it there.

1 Like

lol im not sure how u come to this conclusion after the two anecdotes presented in this thread. academic ability in and of itself has never been enough for MIT admission, and with the rise in admissions competitiveness that’s also been true of UT CS as well in recent years

1 Like

*academics I’m defining as high PSAT/SAT/ACT scores, high GPA/rank, etc.

As the others pointed out, there are other hooks that MIT values to admit students, e.g. first generation, low income, URM, etc. A student might have other spikes which might not have anything to do with academics.
What I am trying to say is there might be other reasons that a student is admitted to MIT but not UT, not necessarily academics.

1 Like

It is brutally difficult to be NMSF in Texas as the cutoff index score is pretty high here (221 I think). All states and all NMSFs are not the same.