UT Austin class of 2026 admissions

Anyone received a LEAD Texas invitation registration email today? My S got it, not exactly sure what the event is going to be about? Is this more like a campus visit?

EDIT: Nevermind, found LEAD Texas invite above

maybe we should create a group of Austin students where we can share information and even organize meetups when we start our classes?

1 Like

My son would make it in Texas as well. I bet there are more than four kids from my sonā€™s high school can make it in Texas.
Itā€™s just a standardized test. A lot of kids probably would not even put it on their applications. Being a NMSF would not say anything IMHO.

NMSF is 10% in my sonā€™s school. CAā€™s index should be 220+.
For MIT admission, at least USAJMO 200+/ year, or same level olympiads, academic awards.
3 friends of my son are MIT EA admits this year. Their stats are beyond that.

Thatā€™s very impressive. I believe only three high schools in all of Texas have 10% or more of its students qualifying as NMSFs ā€“ St Marks and Hockaday in Dallas and St Johnā€™s School in Houston. Being NMSF doesnā€™t say anything more than how one tests. Particularly on one day in the junior year.

Roughly 50% of MITā€™s engineers are women. I believe they are unusual in this respect. They look for pointy and well rounded students. Their only strongly considered admission factor is ā€œCharacter/personal qualities.ā€ When UT spends less time per application review than MIT, it has to streamline the process and will miss on some people, especially in the hotly contested engineering, business and film areas.

Just stop.

In 2019 (when tests werenā€™t optional), the MIT median SAT was 745 EBRT, 790 M; avg was 1545; and ACT median was 35. The comparable figures for UT were 670 EBRT, 685 M; 1367 avg; and ACT median was 30.

What are you trying to prove with these stats lmaoā€¦
First of all, apples to oranges. UT CS is way more competitive than the avg 1367 SAT across the entire school. Second of all, all I said was MIT doesnā€™t ONLY care about academic ability. Thatā€™s obviously very important, but 1550+/valedictorian/NMSF get routinely rejected nowadays from both MIT and UT CS (I personally know a few).
MIT is clearly more competitive than UT CS, all Iā€™m saying there is way more factors involved than ā€œacademic abilityā€ to get in.
You are the one that needs to ā€œjust stop.ā€

1 Like

Yes. UT will miss early, often, and hard.

Donā€™t forget about Cistercian. This year was an off-year but usually we easily meet 10%.

True. Small but mighty.

1 Like

We are visiting UT Austin for an admitted students tour. We will also be attending an informational session on Cockrell. DS is excited and so are we (we are OOS). Are there any specific questions we should be getting answers to, or any must-not miss places to visit? First kid and we are a bit clueless on what to expect!

1 Like

How do we join the discord group? I was admitted to Turing but have not received any information about a discord.

1 Like

curious what the stats were for engineering honors. any thoughts on what the criteria are? 1550 (800 math, 750 verbal) didnā€™t get it.

Essays and nature of their ECs are more important in honors review. Not saying ranking and scores not important but almost every applicant has top scores.

2 Likes

Academic related EC or non-academic ones like sports, music, art?

It will be complex to define just based on the ā€œtitleā€ of an EC.

A student can claim to have/be some fancy title (president, vice-president, founderā€¦) of some society that holds some events, casually meets a few days in a year or competes in some games or competition. This kind of EC ends up far too common in application and not really regards very highly.

In general, a verifiable job with longevity is the best EC, the rest of EC basically depends on how the student spins it in the essays. But even though a student can ā€œlieā€ about it, the reader is not that dumb to believe in everything.

There was a very nice essay once spotted when an engineering applicant with 4 years orchestra created a self-composing program that created musical notes based on a probability combination and mathematical formula. It was odd, but honest, authentic, original and innovative, most important of all, tied a relatively plain EC (yes orchestra can be overrated as some schools have 3 or 4 teams just to appease the parents) to the major (CE). The last convincing piece was the app download point listed on that applicantā€™s resume and the essay (verifiable work).

4 Likes

If no turing or CSB so far, basically just waiting for the rejection email by 3/1?

We too were wondering on the sameā€¦

Thank you!! Iā€™m largely interested in health care policy : )

1 Like

Long shot but did anyone appeal? Anyone hear back?