UT Austin Class of 2027 Official Thread

This is helpful! Thanks! Yes, they gave her ECON.

We will explore the BEOP option. I did not know about this. Thanks again!

1 Like

It is unfair to say that the CSB students lack the depth in CS, there are only 2 upper level classes that the CSB students do not have to take (but might because they have the room, thanks to the APs) compared to the regular CS students.

2023 will be the first graduating class of the CSB program, so truly there aren’t any recent graduates :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Please can someone let me know. OOS anyone has seen an update on the Turing scholar program- either confirmation or rejection?

My D is still waiting for Honors decision. She really wants one of the Honors Quad dorms if she gets accepted. If by March, she still doesn’t get an Honors decision, how does she go about selecting housing preferences when they send her the housing contract? I know she can select up to 5 residence halls, but not knowing Honors decision, can she still select the Quads? And if she does select the Quads and ultimately doesn’t get selected for Honors, then what? She would only have 1 non-Quad selection? Does anyone know? FriscoDad do you have any insight on this?

1 Like

May take it to messages. We have conducted several recruit interviews and the tests show the concern.
The best (real) CSB are ones with PPA and a MS/BS CS degree. You just can’t pack these knowledge in 4 years.

Could you clarify these concerns? I was admitted into ECB (similar program but for ECE instead of CS) and am trying to decide whether to take the offer or not.

1 Like

Once again, they can just make something up and send it in - UT uses appeals as a psuedo-waiting list, if they don’t get what they want in appeals, whats the loss in trying to be creative?

UT’s investment is giving you a top tier school at state prices, they view that as their merit aid. A&M is similar. You can merit elsewhere at private schools and it often just takes the tuition price down to being equivalent to UT or A&M. But yes, all in at UT at a decent housing/cost of living factor is probably ~$30k per year. There is play in that number to get it lower but that is what i tell folks to ballpark (and you can get a lot higher if your kid is in a single room at an expensive West campus place).

My child applied priority, but was rejected. As it turns out the application was reviewed as an OOS applicant but they are actually in-state. Really hope this appeal + residency documentation + new information makes the difference! :crossed_fingers:t4:

1 Like

Why was it reviewed as an OOS application? seems strange. I hope the appeal works out for. If there was a mistake made, then definitely you should appeal

1 Like

Hi All
Can anyone help me understand the credit policy for IB exams. So on the UT website when I look up for credit for a subject, it gives a list of courses for which the credit can be claimed. For example IB Physics HL has options of 105M , 105N etc
So can we claim credit for all these courses or just one out of the list.

1 Like

thanks. i have this question, too!

Just one. Different degree plans have different course requirements.

1 Like

Does anyone know how UT treats oos for schools that don’t rank? My daughter didn’t get in for CS. 1560 SAT, 4.0/4.6, 15 AP’s, 5’s on all the one’s she’s taken. I know CS is very tough for oos but I’m wondering if having a non-ranking school hurt her chances.

Her school recently went non-ranking and only sent the school quartile gpa splits/profile; she was placed in the top 25% out of 700.

Her school just communicated to her that she’s ranked #3 which is top .5%, big difference.

Is the new rank clarity (top .5% vs. top 25%) worth an appeal or would UT have roughly figured out where she would have been ranked for her application based on the school profile?

Of course, there’s other new awards/accomplishments she’d add to an appeal too but the placement/ranking for non-ranking schools is pretty confusing and I know ranking is quite important for UT.

We live in Maryland, he goes to school in DC, but we are Texas residents
military. I do think it was an oversight and they will make it right. The application makes it tough to differentiate and we don’t fit in a clean box. Certainly not looking for special treatment. I just want his application to be considered with all the relevant information.

1 Like

Regarding IB credits: It depends if it says AND or OR. There are some subjects for which a student can earn credit for multiple classes, and other subjects they’ll earn credit for just one. The credits one can claim also depend on whether the student earns the IB diploma or not and what score they earn in each subject.

2 Likes

Does not hurt to appeal, especially with the new accomplishments.

2 Likes

My son’s school doesn’t rank and he was accepted regardless.