UT Austin Class of 2027 Official Thread

My daughter was accepted into the PACE program, and it was amazing! They will only do it for the following colleges: College of Liberal Arts (COLA), College of Education, Moody College of Communication, and Steve Hicks School of Social Work. Since your son is COLA, he could get in. Unfortunately, you cannot request admission into PACE. It was only about 200 students in my daughter’s class. Unlike CAP, where you go to another school and transfer in when meeting qualifications, the PACE program accepts you as a Longhorn from day 1 (on-campus housing, dining, facilities, etc.). The only difference is you take most of your freshman year classes (which are all core anyway) at Austin Community College, Rio Grande Campus - which is 5 minutes away. If you meet the requirements at the end of freshman year (2.0 gpa for UT classes & 3.2 gpa for ACC classes / my daughter is Moody which has higher gpa requirements), you’re guaranteed your chosen major your sophomore year! Best thing about the program is the mentoring & camaraderie and it is available to them for all 4 years! More info: Path to Admission through Co-Enrollment | Undergraduate Admissions | The University of Texas at Austin , Freshman After-Admission Checklist | Undergraduate Admissions | The University of Texas at Austin , PACE Requirements | Undergraduate Admissions | The University of Texas at Austin . Hope this helps!!!

2 Likes

Have any non-auto admit kids heard a decision from Cockrell, or will that most likely come at the end of the month? My child is at a non-ranking private school and applied for Mechanical Engineering.

1 Like

I work at a competitive high school and it’s really hard to tell. Last year we had a student with an ACT score below a 28, but she had a high GPA, a really strong personal statement, strong short answer responses, and phenomenal LORs. She wasn’t auto admin either, but she was accepted.

1 Like

My daughter did CAP thru UT Arlington and has no regrets. It was not an easy year socially, but in hindsight it flew by. We are in Houston, she visited home often and kept her eye on the prize. She fulfilled all the CAP requirements, but also applied outside COLA, to Moody and was accepted. So, it’s a good option for those without the preferred option of freshman admission. Only thing we would do differently would be to select San Antonio maybe instead of Arlington. Good luck to your son!

5 Likes

UT still practice affirmative action for diversity. Rank is important but scores alone is insufficient as determining factor.

Definition for strong essay for UT is also different. Many think they have “strong” essay but UT is looking for applicants who can address their main goal (in their slogan). Many students write too much about their “strong” past which is not what UT is looking for.

My school actually has students write their personal statements their junior year. We also have a workshop on a Saturday where teachers come in and provide assistance in helping them with the PS. By the beginning of their senior year, it is already completed. It is completely all hands on deck.

1 Like

My D23 also had it done in junior year but decided to improve/change it up significantly over the summer. Also, keep in mind that UT’s essay is quite different.

2 Likes

Yes. That is also why each student also has a college counselor assigned to him/her. These counselors have no more than 20-25 a caseload and start working closely with the students junior year.

1 Like

Not yet. Instate, auto admit here. Top 1.75% of competitive High School. 1530 SAT. Solid resume - cofounded a startup - still waiting to hear from McCombs and Canfield Honors.

2 Likes

Have you had an interview for CBHP? My son hasn’t been notified for an interview.

2 Likes

That sounds great. My D is at a large public school, so 1 counselor per 150 students; so the counselor is unable to be helpful in any meaningful way.

Anyone knows what they ask in an interview?

At my daughters high school, 2 counselors for 700 Seniors.

Can anyone comment on when applicants for UT can expect to be notified (based on previous years)? Any insight would be appreciated!

1 Like

There is a website called texadmissions that offers a lot of information about the application process at UT. The guy who publishes the website was at one time a UT admissions rep. It looks like many of the decisions coming out at the end of January for UT are CAP offers. So maybe the last “real” admissions to the UT campus will happen next weekend.

The essays my DD wrote in school end of her junior year were ok as a literature essay but not good as a 2-minute quick scan read per college counselor’s (my friend) perspective. We had her rewrite from scratch past summer… then during actual application season, she wrote another main essay that suites better for UT and the original one became UT’s one of the short essays.

1 Like

That’s not necessarily so. My current sophomore at UT got his decision at the end of January when lots of CAP offers came out. For those who are not auto-admits, they may find out at the very end of January. His admission came out 1/29 or 1/30.

2 Likes

Correct that is why I said “many” not all. The UT guy said that a few admission decisions happen end of January but the bulk of the decisions are cap.

1 Like

did you have an interview?

Hello all,

Like many other high school seniors, my daughter is anxiously awaiting an admission decision from UT-Austin. I would like feedback on whether you think she has a realistic chance or not.

1. Non-auto/ in state
  2. Unweighted GPA 3.78
  3. Class rank: 12% (Top 25% of class)
  4. ACT score: 30
  5. A/P and dual credit courses… she will graduate with 30 college hours
  6. Selected Liberal Arts major

She doesn’t want to do the CAP program and I’m not sure how that would work if she already has 30 college hours She has been accepted to the University of Houston which is her 2nd choice. More than likely, if she is not accepted to UT she will attend U of H.

Thanks in advance!

3 Likes