UT Austin Class of 2027 Official Thread

True, one can also only check on the admission status on Feb 1st if you applied EA.

3 Likes

Thank you @FriscoDad. My Son attended HSRA program at UT Austin last summer in computational Astro physics space. Fingers crossed!

2 Likes

Normal way is with a higher rate of tuition for OOS students that covers the “true” cost of the education rather than the subsidized in-state rate. If a state university lets in a higher % of OOS but they’re paying the true cost of the education - the taxpayers in that state shouldn’t care.

2 Likes

Tax-payers care if their kid cannot get into the state flagship(s)
 with good grades/test scores/ec of course.

5 Likes

Outside Liberal Arts, science and engineering actually cost more than OOS tuition. UT (and TAMU) are very rich, and the free resources given to students are far better than many prestigious private universities. However, UT cannot “go private” so state always have a say with the admission law.
The only argument for expanding OOS admission is mainly diversity. With Texas population grew from 19Million to 30 million in the last 30 years, UT doesn’t have the urgency to look OOS for diversity.

1 Like

Aren’t the OOS students higher caliber on average? Do you think OOS students overrepresent in certain majors (impacted or not)?

Sorry - my comment wasn’t specific to UT or any specific program within UT. It was a generalization around the economics for a subsidized state school.

2 Likes

Hoping to find others in my class that have been accepted into the CNS Honors Program. I was accepted to the Polymathic Scholars on December 15 and I have not accepted yet. I am a chemistry major with an interest in (double major or a minor) Latin Culture. Hoping to connect with others to make sure this is the right fit for me. Thanks.

3 Likes

@gfloyd05 Have you joined the Class of '27 Facebook page? It’s one of the recommended things to do on MyStatus. You might have better luck connecting with future classmates there.

1 Like

Thank you. Yes, I am in the facebook group and cannot find anyone that is in CNS Honors yet. I have started a separate thread on this page too.

@gfloyd05 As more acceptances come out, new people will join the FB group. (Hopefully soon!)

3 Likes

Will there be decisions this friday?

Agree and actually Texas also send a lot of high caliber students to other states. Every year about 400-500 top 2% (and over 1000 of top 6%) received COLA majors instead of their desired majors as a form of soft “decline”. In recent years, it has shown to be easier for top Texas students to get into Ivy League than competitive majors in UT.

Going OOS (public colleges) always have this issue even for Texans going to other states.

1 Like

Three generations of my family, starting with my grandmother in the 1920s, attended UT Austin. My son got in as OOS (he dropped out after one semester in biomedical engineering due to his severe mental illness). His stats were good, but pretty comparable to his in-state relatives. They went to competitive high schools and weren’t auto admit. Long story short, none of the next generation of my family will be graduating from UT even though my dad was a professor there for over 50 years. It really is mind boggling.

3 Likes

Did everyone get the MLK celebration email from ut austin

7 Likes

I got it. The end said “ We look forward to celebrating next MLK Day with you on campus!” Does this mean anything admissions wise?

2 Likes

Why are they sending a note saying they look forward to celebrating MLK with you on campus next year to students who have not been admitted?

3 Likes

I know, it’s misleading.

Yes it is misleading

1 Like

That is hilariously cruel. As in holding a banana up to a caged monkey cruel.

2 Likes