UT Austin Class of 2027 Official Thread

You get my vote!

1 Like

My first-choice major ECE and ECE honors.
Iā€™m #2/193 in class rank and went test-optional. (Freshman year-Junior year stats)
APā€™s: WHAP, Calc AB, Biology, APUSH, APGOV, APMAC, AP LANG, AP Psychology
DC: College Algebra [MATH 1314], ENGL 1301 [Thatā€™s RHE 306 at UT], Onramps physics.

{As a senior, I have done a lot. In my first semester of senior year, I did 19 credit hours with Calculus BC, Statistics AP, and Physics C APā€¦ [all 19 credit hours transfer into ECE besides my microeconomics class which will be used for my business minor, if I get into UT ECE.]}

• I did mention that I was finishing CS50AP in my student resume
    (CS50AP is an intro to comp sci Harvard course)

My essays were very personalā€¦ I wrote about the impact of stress in my story and included how computers have helped me socialize to figure out problems at my parentā€™s business. (Incorporating that I want to help the world through social factors with the use of tech)

Recc Letters: My Algebra II math teacher who now helps me in Calculus BC now and he helped me in M 408C (I took that class through University Extension), A counselor that finished undergrad at UT who helped me consistently make my schedule, and a person in student help services (this person leads NHS for my school)

ECā€™s: National Honors Society, Rotary international club, and Powerlifting. I plan to be a powerlifter for UT as well (yes, I mentioned this in my essay). NHS - 100 volunteering hours and my position is service chair.
As for Rotary? I started that my junior year and only finished a campā€¦
Speaking of campsā€¦ I participated in MITE at UT (Introduction to engineering camp that UT offers to rising seniors), and I participated in Texas Boys State and RYLA (which are both leadership camps)

What else is there to say?..
Iā€™m a first-generation student, I am in-state, and Iā€™m the only Indian in my high schoolā€¦
I can speak Gujarati as well.
Also, my app may seem weak but the population of my city is around 11,500 people.
I did receive the highest academic award in my junior year as well.
Alright, good enough. I have to go to class now!

2 Likes

Mine too!!

Can I just ask something that Iā€™ve noticed through all these CC forum threadsā€¦It seems like everyone applying to any of these schools has a 4.5 GPA (ok exaggerating a little bit) 1500 and higher SAT scores, Deanā€™s list, a million hours of community service, working on the side, brilliant people. And from my perspective, reading all of this, they all seemed destined for Harvard, MIT or Yale. That is not at all to knock these schools, but doesnā€™t it seem odd that so many parents and students here list that their kids are basically wunderkinds and in some of the threads they canā€™t believe their kids were deferred or outright rejected. Iā€™m simply curious as to why this is so prevalent on here.

1 Like

good luck i hope u get in!!!

1 Like

The powerlifting is impressive! Good for you! I hope you get in!

i think itā€™s because there are genuinely so many intelligent and driven kids and so competition is so tough. even with basically perfect stats and stellar ecā€™s, people will have to get rejected.

4 Likes

Here is some perspective. Today I heard from a Stanford professor that last year of the Stanford applicants who scored a perfect 1600 on their SAT (top 0.1%), Stanford rejected 70%.

3 Likes

Applied to CS as 1st choice and ECE as 2nd. 3.94% uw gpa and 4.81 w gpa. Top 2% in the class. 15+ APs. 1530 SAT. CS related ECs including a summer internship.

That professor might have said that, but I donā€™t believe it. Sorry :woman_shrugging:

schools like stanford look for intellectual vitality. a good test score only means youā€™ll get considered, itā€™s ur extracurriculars and involvement that get you accepted. a test is merely a test, theyā€™re not going to accept you just for a score.

1 Like

I understand that. But to reject 70% with that perfect score is simply untrue.

2 Likes

I honestly think scores and gpaā€™s are a little inflated these days. It was unheard of for someone to get over a 1300 on the sat back in the day. Or maybe kids are smarter nowā€¦I donā€™t know. GPAs are definitely inflated. And Iā€™ve heard some schools let kids retake tests when they do poorly. Not to say this is the case for anyone here. I just know it happens. Never happened back in the day.

3 Likes

My guess would be enormous grade inflation.

2 Likes

I am skeptical as well. But I also think that Stanford (and similarly situated schools) has no need to pad its statistics. They will be very high in any event. Above a certain score elite schools are looking at candidates through a completely different lens.

2 Likes

i donā€™t think itā€™s untrue because of the fact that test scores are only a small part of it. people might apply solely because they got a 1600 on the sat and think it will get them in. a lot of those people donā€™t have significant ecs that make them stand out.

4 Likes

Not your call! UT is first choice school for many on this thread.

Hello all! I rarely post but have learned a lot on this thread as my youngest child has applied to UT this year. I know everyone has a lot of anxiety about when decisions will be released and, like the rest of you, I HAVE NO IDEA! But I want to throw out my predictions (based on my third kid/third round of going through the UT admissions process):

1. It will not be tonight. Everyone is assuming it will be tonight based on past years. But nothing about this cycle has looked remotely like past years.

2. Decisions will actually come out on February 1 this year. I know, I know, that has never happened before, but again, nothing about this cycle has looked like past years.

Just my guess, for what itā€™s worth.

Youā€™re all terrific kids (and parents of terrific kids!) and I wish you all the best. Have a great weekend.

8 Likes

Hereā€™s my unscientific assessment - Perhaps people with higher stats (and their parents) are also more motivated to scan the message boards for information, so itā€™s a biased group to start with. I also think these message boards have a higher percentage of international students (because it would be harder to interact with the local community without the message boards), and the international applicants that post seem to have extremely high stats.

3 Likes

Weee in same boat with our son. My daughter was auto admit to UT and got into Miami. Was an easy choice for her. Coral Gables is beautiful.

2 Likes