UT Austin Class of 2027 Official Thread

Historically I don’t think UT has done many- if any deferrals as far as I have heard. I think it’s becoming more common this year and last because of the high volume of applications at many schools.

I was very grateful with Friscodad’s info and advice. No need to call people dumb as my younger brother is doing exactly the same with his entire class.

He is just outside 6%, and all students know they are non-auto, they should not complain waiting till Feb 1st. If they are top 2% however, they will need to convince admission they are not treating UT as back up school.

I waited for Ivy league results back then till April even though I got accepted to UT on Jan 31, a few years back most of my classmates outside 6% were comfortable to wait until Feb 1st we even had reveal party at school on Feb 2nd. What I see in many cases it was the parents having the dire need to show off that their kids got in early. Parents should be supportive of their students just trying their best and be good with any outcome. There is nothing out of the norm in UT every year.

13 Likes

Great point! My third kid to college and I don’t see anything out of the norm in UT process. My kid is also holistic and he has several good options, his high school also has this reveal party this Thursday in second period. Anyone outside 6% should be realistic consider UT as a reach.

9 Likes

Did anyone receive a letter from UT the other day regarding a person’s financials?

Very true! UT is pretty much for top 1-2%, then 2-6% compete for majors, outside 6% a lot of my kids classmates don’t even bother to apply. Outside 6% I see more Plano parents are more anxious than the kids which is ridiculous.

My kid was waitlisted (not CAP) by UT last year, got in at April but he decided to attend TAMU as honor students there.

5 Likes

Texas Admissions Twitter feed last week referenced that “some decisions may be deferred to the regular decision date.”

Any potential decrease in OOS apps too southern schools because of Dobbs has been more than offset by OOS kids choosing to apply to southern schools to avoid Covid restrictions and heavy handed ideological administrations in the Northeast and West Coast.

Town and Country magazine had an article making the rounds a few months ago about Northeast families sending their kids to TCU, Auburn, UGa rather than Georgetown or BC.

Had a funny comparison between the orientation at TCU (BBQ, pep rallies) vs Georgetown (training sessions on social justice in the DC community).

Merit scholarships certainly helps too when top schools are $80k+

2 Likes

I am also grateful with the help of Friscodad. My girl got in TAMU Engineering Honor. Waiting for UT since she is 12%, with one attempt (SAT school day) 1400. Her interest is maths so she has all Calculus BC, differential equations and discrete maths by 11th grade. Even though she is a good candidate of Comp Science or Maths, she is seeing UT as a reach and she refuses to check MyUT status until Feb 2nd with her classmates. Calling my girl dumb for not checking every day for 4 months is kind of offensive and insensitive, and likely comes from parents who like to show off their kids getting in than really caring about them.

4 Likes

They say deferrals every year and never defer

That’s what I was thinking. I’ve never heard of a case even though they say that

A school counselor advising 17-18 year old kids to not look to see if they got into a desired college like UT for 4 months is completely unrealistic. It’s like they don’t work at a high school if they think kids won’t look.

Maybe you should have better reading comprehension - the counselor who gave advice not to look at the UT portal for 4 months is giving terrible and unrealistic advice. Like putting out an unwrapped Xmas gift under the tree in November and telling everyone “make sure you don’t glance under the tree in the family room” for the next month.

Then again, I fail to see how intentionally not being informed about a college admission by not checking a portal that may have an early decision is some sort of a good idea. Wouldn’t you want to spend time evaluating options and thinking things thru if a decision was already made?

2 Likes

Fingers crossed for Monday & Tuesday waves, but not getting my hopes up lol 3 more days until Feb 1!!!

1 Like

Exactly.

2 Likes

Not sure when decisions will finally go out but good luck to all the hardworking, COVID weary, determined class of 2027!! They will surely thrive at whatever college they finally commit to attending:).

12 Likes

6 minutes!!!

No decisions came out…

1 Like

well, she’s not a good candidate for UT Comp sci because she’s outside of the top 6% and has a below-average score of 1400, but I agree with you about those offensive comments.

2 Likes

My S23 is just shy of auto admit, like 6.5-6.8%…he applied for Econ/Govt. He’s got several acceptances under his wing:Trinity, A&M Mays, Southwestern etc with AMAZING merit scholarships from the privates. In fact, he just told me he completely forgot about his UT app lol, never mind obsessively checking My Status daily. He’s not dumb. He loves Austin, is definitely setting his sights on UT Law School, but getting in for undergrad isn’t the end all and be all of his existence. To call any student dumb for waiting until Feb 1 to check their portal is ridiculous.

6 Likes

Actually, me reading the chain and those posting the past week or two could be considered dumb (just kidding to all posters whose patience with UT is wearing thin).

But your son and anyone else waiting until February sound pretty smart :slight_smile:

2 Likes