UT Austin Class of 2027 Official Thread

No. Electrical engineering

1 Like

The poster above with 1580 didnā€™t get in so I presume itā€™s a CS applicant. EE and Computer Engineering seem like great pathways to a CS career if one wanted that. Many paths. I see applied math majors snapped up by hedge funds, yet people want to major in finance and learn about the Fed and banking system. Smart people are snapped up in many ways. Congrats on getting in and hope you get the aid you need.

2 Likes

was accepted to my first-choice major yesterday, but never received an email from UT about anything (checked spam, trash, etc)ā€¦ is that weird or am i just being paranoid?

did anyone get into education major or know anything about it?

2 Likes

TY.Good luck to your D as well! I remember reading that our kids are similar in stats and activites and both bilingual, which is pretty cool IMO. I also graduated from Westwood decades ago and from UT! Austin is still my hometown and no sour grapes here in NJ. All these kids are so amazing on CC-schools will never define them.

1 Like

If u meant my post 1580-not CS; McCombs applicant

1 Like

we had finaid issues because my sonā€™s last name is huge and SS has a different full name on file. I called them and within 5 minutes they had it resolved. Definitely call them - they are efficient!

1 Like

Wow, thatā€™s tough for McCombs. Itā€™s quite challenging but thought it was easier than CS and some engineering. UT seems very focused on the essay and overcoming odds to change the world. Best wishes.

son accepted OOS
3.7 UW GPA, 34 ACT
9 AP, 3 DE

speaks 3 languages, loves cooking, Food Network shows
submitted video on mushroom hunting and the environment, two of his passions

2 Likes

Still doesnā€™t feel real next morning lol, Iā€™m very excited

4 Likes

My daughter is very excited she got in, but Iā€™m a little nervous. Itā€™s such a big school- sheā€™s not in honors or any other special programming. should I be worried? we donā€™t even know anyone who has gone in the last few years to ask about it. is it like U of Michigan, which everyone seems to love? do kids get lost in the crowd?

any thoughts on the LLCā€™s? like the Active Living or Catalyst? just to help break things down to smaller communities? they are both in Jester dorm which seems like a big one for freshmen anyway.

Son was accepted. In state. Moody School of Communications. Weā€™re very excited. Good luck everyone!!!

3 Likes

Is engineering decisions are out ? especially Biomedical Eng decisions?

I currently have a freshmen at UT. I would recommend that your D look for organizations that she would be interested in participating (hobby, professional, religious, etc). Itā€™s important to check out some groups and go to the meetings. Thatā€™s where sheā€™ll meet people similar to her in interest / career. The dorm, unfortunately, wasnā€™t really a great place for my daughter to find friends. Weā€™re in state, so sheā€™s lucky to room with a high school friend.

Be warned that some of these organizations are super competitive, involving essays and interviews. It brings back unpleasant reminders of college apps. If sheā€™s into sports, join intramural teams through the clubs sheā€™s interested in.

Congrats and good luck with her decisions.

1 Like

There are different schools for different kids. Some excel in small or medium or large. On the other hand, a large school can be made small but not vice versa.

Itā€™s awesome to get such a prestigious admit but it doesnā€™t mean itā€™s the right school.

Find the right school. Many a kid will drop out or transfer out - even with the outstanding profile coming in. And many will transfer in - from smaller, etc.

Have you been? Go see - see if itā€™s overwhelming to her? Donā€™t forget, itā€™s her, not you. Go eat in the dining hall, walk the campus, the surrounds.

Congrats to her on the acceptance.

PS - youā€™re already looking at other big schools - but this one will be far more urban.

What is her major? I have a son who just graduated UT in December and another going this fall.

My advice: Encourage her to attend Camp Texas in the summer (this is a weekend retreat for incoming students put on by Texas Exes). Many majors have FIGs (Freshman Interest Groups), which is a small group of students who have classes and a seminar together in their first semester. Also encourage her to get involved in a student org that aligns with her interests.

I donā€™t have experience with LLCā€™s but that seems like a good way to connect as well.

1 Like

CAP does not include Econ. Not all COLA in it.

We just booked a flight and tour next week!

3 Likes

Your kid really crushed the admission season.

But arenā€™t you the budget guy??? UT isnā€™t going to give the loot.

Austin - bad airport, great restaurants in the airport - and a neat town - and the school is smack thereā€¦so different than FSU, UGA, etc.

Awesome you get to go see.

HI. We are in the same boat. I couldnā€™t find information on an admitted students day or anything. Is this Camp Texas their only admitted/prospecitive student event? I know some of the other schools she got into have a day in late march/early April (prior to commitment) for the students to come and experience the dining halls, a class, dorms, and meet current students. Do you know if UT does this in the spring? Thank you!

1 Like