UT (Econ) vs A&M (Business) vs UTD (Business)

I need to pick a college but am confused about where I should go.
Is it better to do economics with a business minor at UT, business at Mays A&M, or business at UTD?
Thank you
Any advice would be appreciated!

1 Like

Where do you wish to work? Any specialty?

1 Like

Economics and business are not the same thing. One is a liberal art.

If you want to be an accountant or IT professional, then you want to be in the business school.

If you want to be in consulting or i-Banking or sales or general business, econ would be fine.

Which school do you prefer - three different environments?

I take it you wanted to go to UT - but McCombs?

2 Likes

I only got into COLA at UT. If I go to UT, I will try to transfer to Mccombs but I know that is competitive so for now, I associate UT with doing Economics to be safe. I donā€™t want to do IT or accounting, probably in management or HR, something that pays pretty well. I think UT and tamu environments are similar.

Iā€™m not sure. I recently wanted to be in the business field so Iā€™m still looking at different fields, but something that pays well and allows me to communicate and help people, maybe HR.

Then A&M. Good general program places well in Texas

Hmmm. General management pays the least of majors and hr is a field that exists less and less and may not in 20 years. Those that value it - itā€™s become very quant heavy. Itā€™s not the hr of old.

I would not recommend either of these focuses.

1 Like

I would suggest one of the business schools. I donā€™t think you will enjoy the upper level Econ classes.

Donā€™t ever say this on either campus. :grin:

1 Like

Hmm, you might want to think about this a little more. They are both huge universities, true, but very different environments - big city vs. small town, generally liberal and permissive vs. generally conservative and tradition-bound, etc. etc. Many students who love one would not thrive at the other.

1 Like

Or as I see it - UT is a college. A&M is a cult - but I say that in a sincere and positive way :slight_smile: The presence the school has in personal lives long after is maybe unlike anything Iā€™ve seen!!!

@Cupcake5555 thereā€™s an HR track under Management in Mays, but a BS in Human Resource Development is in School of Ed (at TAMU).
Iā€™m a Mays mom. Iā€™d take Mays or UTD business over UT Econ-to me, that screams ā€œCAP, COLA, didnā€™t get into McCombsā€.
And like others have said-both large campuses, but definitely not the same ā€˜vibeā€™. (Most of my family are UT Exes, and Iā€™m not an Aggie, so very neutral statement).
Hopefully youā€™ve put down Housing deposits at both UT and A&M, or that may dictate your decision.

1 Like

I would take some time and go through the course calatogs (almost always online). Compare the coursework for an economics major at UT and a business major at A&M. See if one path is preferable.

1 Like

Thank you for all the replies.
I wanted to ask if anyone who has graduated from UT with an economics major or knows someone who has can share their experience and what career opportunities they have had.

Why donā€™t you google LinkedIn + bachelor economics UT Austin.

Lots of names.

Careers will run the gamut

One is doing research for the Federal Reserve of Chicago. You will find many others -may be saies, finance, marketing, law etc. you can do anything with an Econ degree.

You can also ask the career center for outcome info specific to the major. Or perhaps the Econ dept.

Good luck.

Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If youā€™d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.