UVA v. Georgetown v. St. Andrews for History

From Virginia studying history. Kinda random match-up here but really struggling with it. The locational/social stuff is something I’ll think about personally, but from y’alls perspectives, which “name” has the most value as a degree? Which has the most prestige/best overall faculty/best ROI? DC is obviously a great location for any future career involving politics but UVA still has really great alumni network? St. A is fascinating within itself? Love to hear thoughts!!

UVA or Gtown - but if you want to go overseas.

History - it doesn’t really matter where you go…and you want to be in politics, so Gtown might give you the most access but you’re competing against everyone and their brother from DC and right outside.

I’d say - forget all the stuff you’re asking about - and answer where do you want to be. At Gtown (check reviews, on food - not good), a bit away at UVA or overseas.

I can’t speak for St. Andrews and Gtown and UVA are nothing alike.

And Gtown is Jesuit if that matters.

So find the right school for you and forget the silliness of value of the degree and best faculty and that’s all bunk - especially if you want to be in politics.

A happy you - that’s not bunk - so find that.

Good luck.

4 Likes

There is no single objective, quantitative ROI on this decision. The ‘prestige’ is pretty even.

First question: do any of the options require debt? If so, the ranking is least debt → most debt. No history degree is worth extra debt, and if politics is your path you need to start out as debt free as possible b/c the early years are terribly paid- unless you pull off a MTG!

Second question: are you a history buff, or is it just your favorite subject in school, or do you just think that’s the best path for a future politician? If you really love history (even if you have no plans to make that your career) then StA’s jumps to the top.

Third question: is your temperament flexible enough to live as a guest in another country where you will hear a fair amount about the failings of your own country? If not, move StA’s to the bottom.

After that it’s down to how you think you will like each of these 3 dramatically different

5 Likes

Have 2 friends’s sons (bot from nyc) at St’ As one studying poly history, second math.
Both love it … They love the school, the town … It’s a good way to get out of the NOVA/DC comfort zone.

But Gt and UVA are great too …

3 Likes

It would bother me that St. Andrew’s is six miles from the train station. I would want to be able to travel easily around Scotland without a car. Much nicer if you can just walk to the station in town—no hassle, no extra cost, no extra leg of your trip. I would want to see all that history first hand, go to museums and lectures in Glasgow and Edinburgh, explore the Highlands, festivals, castles…So, I would find it frustrating to be off the train grid. However, if you want to study medieval history, St. Andrew’s seems like the best pick. My daughter has an American friend there doing just that and she is happy, although she finds it hard to be far from home, and doesn’t love the drinking culture.

2 Likes

Actually, if you want to study history in depth, full stop. Oxford. Cambridge & StAs consistently make up the top 3 unis for history (it’s currently Oxford, StAs, Cambridge). Further, in the Scottish system the OP can do all history all the time, which is not an option in the US. That means no GenEds, no distribution requirements, etc.

Fwiw, the US students that I know who head to Scotland are more likely to use it as a base to jump off to other places- all of Europe is a cheap flight away once you take the bus or train to Edinburgh!

5 Likes

Thank you greatly for these straightforward questions, have given me a lot to think about. Being in-state tuition for UVA is definitely an important consideration, and haha will not pull a MTG!! I don’t think politics is a very cemented goal of mine career-wise – more interested in law – but just was thinking ahead to the prominent types of careers/internships in the area. StA’s is most likely at the top, but touring UVA again should definitely be in my April plans. Thank you so much!!

St. Andrews has a bus stop and their bus system (according to someone I met in town) is free up until the age of 22. But I do get what you mean, accessible transportation is definitely a big pro to me as well, and is appearing as a bit of a con for Grown and UVA just because American public transport is…American public transport. Thanks for your thoughts!!

I actually feel like you can’t go wrong with your wonderful choices! But as a practical person, I’m biased towards UVA. Charlottesville is a great place to live. Save your money and travel the amazing historical sites of Scotland and Europe on vacations😉. (I’m from VA, but my biases cancel out because I went to W&M!)

Speaking of public transport, it actually is really convenient in DC, especially from GWU, but as you probably know Georgetown is not on the metro line.

Have you visited all three schools?

1 Like

Have not gotten the chance to visit GTown yet, though I will be doing so soon over my spring break! While I’ve gone on a few (self-guided and guided) tours of UVA, I’m still a little unsure of how well I’d personally fit in there which is pretty difficult to tell until you really get in there – academics for history are obviously excellent. These next few weeks will definitely be a crunch time to decide!

1 Like

There’s really no wrong choice here (unless one means parental debt - in which case, choose the others!) Frankly, assuming you did your due diligence and “fit” is good at your choices, they’re all so strong and reputable for History that I’d just choose the cheapest one.
UVA and G’Town are different enough that visiting each should give you a “feel” for the environment. You can also compare the major’s requirements and gen-eds, faculty research topics (which would likely influence senior seminar topics), study aboad opportunities.
St Andrews will be quite different since it’ll focus on History more, with a few adjacent subjects. The country and its culture would be quite different, you’d be steeped in European and British politics as well as their history&culture. The downsides to StA is that it’s remote so you need to figure out how to go away and it requires more independence than American universities; but the upside is that… it teaches you how to be independend rather quickly and immerses you in European/British history. :slight_smile: In short, this could be a plus or a minus depending on your strengths and personality.

1 Like

My d went to Georgetown and loved it, amazing to be in DC, amazing academics and she found great friends. Vibe is quite different from UVA which she visited but didn’t apply to - a major city as opposed to small town far from everything, diverse/international student body instead of one dominated (understandably) by Virginia students. I think a visit will make things clear for you as the two schools have a very different feel. I do agree that if the difference in cost is a burden to your parents then you can’t go wrong with UVA. As someone interested in politics otherwise I don’t know how you want to be anywhere other than DC for next 4 years - opportunities for everything from working in a congressional office, internships with agencies, or just ability to go out there and join marches and demonstrations, can’t be equaled from Charlottesville!

2 Likes

Did your daughter ever have issues with the food/dorms/getting around? I’m planning on touring it this break to make up my own mind about it, but bad reviews about those three elements particularly have kinda cast a shadow upon how I feel as of right now!!

Dorms are quite gross for sure, in the senior year most live off campus in the Georgetown neighborhood around campus. Food is college food. For us neither of these were particularly significant factors in college choice but obviously people’s priorities differ. I also find college kids end up eating on campus food much less frequently than they think they will, and there is plenty of good food in town. Didn’t have any transportation issues - location is amazing, beautiful very historic town but right next to a big vibrant city. My d jogged each morning through the mall past the Lincoln Memorial and other monuments… Went to museums… She ended up falling in love with DC and is living there now after graduation.

That’s awesome - the jogging past the monuments and settling down there.

I would caution this on food - my daughter has warmed up to her school - but does eat out a lot and the bills pile up.

So that’s just one thing to note - an expensive school (if no aid) and then more expense. So to ensure you can afford it.

The location is fantastic for sure!!! We actually walked all the way from Gtown, through Georgetown to GW - and that was nice.

1 Like

About the seniors living off campus, I love the Georgetown neighborhood, but isn’t it crazy expensive? Or is it relatively easy to find reasonable rentals?

I’m not the one to answer. I’m sure the school must keep a list and I’m sure it’s off the charts pricey.

We stayed in Rosalyn, over the bridge, like a 20 or 30 minute walk away. I don’t know if kids live there - VA.

But yeah DC is pricey. But I’m sure the school can get you all the info you need for off campus housing.

1 Like

There are lots of houses right near campus and they stuff a lot of kids into them! You don’t have to live off campus of course. But yes the area is pricy…

Do kids also live - for example in VA or other parts of DC?

I assume some do but most I knew were in Georgetown very close to campus.

1 Like