UW Business Ranks #27 for undergrad

<p>This ranking seems to be strange... But here it is.</p>

<p>Best</a> Undergraduate Business Schools 2011: Notre Dame's Mendoza Takes No. 1 Spot - BusinessWeek</p>

<p>[Best</a> Undergraduate Business Schools 2011: No. 27: University of Wisconsin - BusinessWeek](<a href=“http://images.businessweek.com/slideshows/20110227/best-undergraduate-business-schools-2011/slides/28]Best”>http://images.businessweek.com/slideshows/20110227/best-undergraduate-business-schools-2011/slides/28)</p>

<p>2011 Rank is 27th</p>

<p>2010 Rank was 42nd</p>

<p>Any ranking that volatile is suspect. They added maybe two profs and the students are about the same. Actually this ranking places most weight on surveys of students and recruiters. May be highly impacted by who responds or not. US News says 12 or 13 so average the two and you might have something pretty fair.</p>

<p>I agree with Barrons, when you have that much volatility it makes you wonder, also when you have something based nearly entirely on surveys it becomes semi-ridiculous. For example, UW-Madison ranked 27th with a B in Teaching Quality, A+ in Facilities and Services, and an A+ in Job Placement, and the University of Minnesota-Carlson at 51st with an A, A, and A+ respectively (not necessarily comparing UW and UMN), compared to Carnegie Mellon at 21st with a B, C, A or SUNY-Binghamton at 37 with B, B, B. Also, when I was scrolling through the slides, some school (the name escapes me) in the Top 50 had a roughly 40% job placement rate. IMO, job placement rate is one reason I looked into good business schools like Madison or Carlson. If you have limited options or 60% of your peers can’t get a job shouldn’t that be a red flag?</p>

<p>Sorry for the rant.</p>

<p>I think that’s a fair analysis. Also some kids might be encouraged by the school to grade easier (higher) as the ranking can be widely seen. Others might be more harsh/cynical about it. As long as the placement is good it’s not that big a deal. I dislike schools that don’t produce a good complete placement report. Midwest salaries are always lower than NY so schools sending more kids to the Northeast have higher income data–but COL in NY or Boston is way more than Chicago or Minny or Indy. I’d rather have $55K in Chicago than $70K in NYC. Lots more UW grads now stay in Madison and salaries there are even lower than Chicago or Minny just because some want to stay and will take less.</p>

<p>As we all know, under the barrons rule the only rankings that count are the ones where UW does well. All other rankings are flawed.</p>

<p>In this ranking, Harvard and Stanford are not listed. I thought they do have B program for undergrad.</p>

<p>Agree with barrons</p>

<p>Stanford and Harvard only have graduate business programs.</p>