UW Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

I got accepted to UW but I did not get the applied major. Is it easy to change major when you are there. I am OOS and did not get any scholarship so just wondering if I should even consider UW, my whole family is planning to move but little disappointed now. I would really appreciate your input. Thank you!

1 Like

D got into UW with direct major biology.
OOS

1 Like

Does anyone know the acceptance rate for this year. If not, when do they release it?

likely won’t know until next winter

Awesome thank you for the great information!

Reportedly there were about 48,000 applicants this year compared to about 42,000 last year. I doubt the size of the freshman class is going to change dramatically. So one could do the math now if one wanted. I expect last year was something of an anomaly due to Covid. But the fall 2020 application deadline was November 2019 so Covid probably didn’t affect the number of applicants, but perhaps the number who chose to accept admission.

I expect several things have changed this year. First, I think many students are applying to more schools than in previous years because Covid has prevented many campus visits and tours. Second, the switch by most schools to test optional or test blind seems to have greatly increased the number of applicants to highly selective schools has students who might previously have not bothered due to uncompetitive SAT/ACT scores decided to give it a shot this year. Finally, there are likely to be some 2020 HS grads who deferred a year due to Covid and are re-applying now as incoming freshman with the class of 2021. I think UW as a “public ivy” is also something of a safety school for a lot of OOS students, especially from CA in the event that they don’t get into the UC system. But when they finally look at the bottom line and realize that OOS tuition at UW is in the same range as Stanford, they have second thoughts.

2 Likes

Wow congrats! I didn’t know bio has direct to major. I unfortunately didn’t get in.

Anybody else got accepted by “pre-science” instead desired major? I started this thread to discuss things around this offer:

Bio doesn’t have a direct admit. You apply at the end of your sophomore year. My daughter’s portal information says:

You requested the following major: Biology (General) in the College of Arts and Sciences
Your assigned major: Pre Sciences in the College of Arts and Sciences

Some quick math:

If UW received 48,000 applications and the application fee was $80 ($90 for international students) then by my calculation, UW earned $3,840,000 on application fees this year.

See this from above:

ADIBIS

D got into UW with direct major biology.
OOS

That’s what I heard until just now seeing somebody post this

UW Doesn’t do direct admission to biology for anyone, in-state or out-of-state. Here are the admission requirements for biology majors: https://www.biology.washington.edu/programs/undergraduate/admissions

Here is a list of majors for freshmen applicants and which ones do direct admit. Of the life sciences, only biochemistry and neuroscience do direct admit for freshmen.

Note, it is different if you are a transfer student.

1 Like

gotcha. transfers get to the major but not freshmen. thanks for the info! at one moment I was self questioning like crazy

Transfers only get the major if they have enough transfer credits to qualify. So, for example, a transfer applicant with just one quarter of community college under their belt would likely not qualify. But someone with a full 2-year course of study in biology from a community college, or another 4-year school probably would.

1 Like

I got directly admitted into chemistry as a freshman.

So it is possible to be directly admitted as a freshman at least in my major.

Yes, Chemistry is one of the direct-admit majors. If you follow the link I provided a few posts upstream titled “admission to majors” you will find the complete list of direct-admit majors. Biology is not one of them. Only biochemistry and neuroscience in the life sciences are direct admit.

1 Like

Oh okay sorry

Oh sorry . It’s pre sciences (assigned major) in the college of arts and science.