UW Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

It can’t be. Must be a typo or mistake.

It is never easy being rejected, and this was a flat out rejection. Friends of mine with ‘less of a resume’ were accepted or waitlisted. I understand that there are rejections everywhere, but it would be nice to understand the decision making process. As you say, with a 52% acceptance rate, this should have been a ‘safety school’. I have been accepted to other great schools with amazing Engineering programs, and am still waiting to hear from many in March and a few at the beginning of April. I don’t see the point in appealing. I would hope their admissions process is comprehensive enough to not make mistakes and appealing seams like begging. All the best to your daughter!

Looking at your very impressive stats, I believe your rejection was yield protection, plain and simple. You are clearly a strong top-25 candidate, and OOS, so UW knows this. It is an unfortunate result of over-applications in this challenging year where schools are going test blind/test optional cold turkey. If UW is your clear #1 choice and “must have” school, I would appeal and tell them that. Otherwise, I’m sure you are destined for a great outcome elsewhere and much success. Good luck!

1 Like

Correction: I meant UW 3.93 and UW 3.91 in my post.

UW is not known to yield protect

1 Like

They may not be known as a yield protection school, like Northeastern or others, but any school at some level would be crazy not to engage in the practice at some level, or else it would be impossible to predict and shape their classes.

Thanks for your comments. It’s still lousy, considering the year we have had. How do they just assume that they are not my #1 school. I was unable to do any college visits due to Covid and legitimately have no idea where I’ll be going. Scholarships and Financial Aid will play a big part in that decision. Anyway, it’s water under the bridge now. I

Remember folks that UW (and most other schools) get your complete transcript in digital form via the coalition app in which you enter each class taken and any modifiers (AP, IB, Honors, etc.) individually. So they can use any proprietary algorithm that they want to generate their own weighted GPAs or weighting factors to cross-compare students across different schools and states. An unweighted 4.0 in which the student took only one AP class is a different transcript from a 3.9 GPA with 10 AP classes. UW gets the raw data on each student and can parse the numbers any way they choose. The days when admissions officers are staring at paper transcripts from each HS (and using the GPA calculations made by that school) are long past.

Whatever GPA you think your child might have received, might be completely different from the actual GPA that UW calculates on their own for admissions purposes and ranking of applicants. They might only be looking at academic classes and not stuff like PE or Yearbook. And they might be weighting academic classes completely differently.

2 Likes

That’s a good point. I read on the UW website that they treat AP/IB/Dual Enrollment classes equally, so from that standpoint, there shouldn’t be any preference for one vs another (regardless of where they were taken) for purposes of fairness. I wonder if they stick to that?

I agree! I was rejected, but accepted to Cornell Engineering today, and was admitted to GaTech with Stamps/Gold and Northeastern. I wish you the best of luck!

4 Likes

help wait have ppl gotten their gw decisions??

ahh im so dumb this forum came up when I searched “gw 2025” lol

Congrats!! Great choices w/o UW in the mix!

Anybody thinks a self tour on campus a good idea? are the buildings open? any fun things to do around campus?

We did it last weekend. Buildings are closed but it is a beautiful campus and the flowers are starting to come out and you can walk around and see the various residential dorm clusters (North Campus and West Campus) and get a flavor for the place. There are a lot of students out and about playing frisbee, soccer, basketball, and just lounging about (dorms are open even though classes are virtual). And there are all kinds of families and general public wandering about. It is a public campus. You don’t have to ever get within 6 ft of anyone and most people were wearing masks. The University Bookstore is also open with limited hours if you want Husky loot.

UW created a phone app self-guided walking tour just for that purpose. Here is the link

https://applinks.guidebook.com/g/#/guides/uwtours/?mobile_redirect=1

5 Likes

UDub is in a very urban setting there are lots of things to do. Also, there is a light rail station on campus.

1 Like

Thank you. We have seen that. We would like to hear from someone who has been through this process to understand what was required to successfully make it into their choice of Mechanical Eng. From the stats, just over half who choose ME as #1 make it. What did they do to secure that choice and where do the rest go?

W
here did you park?
Thanks

These are very helpful details. Thanks a ton

There are parking lots all over campus. After noon on Saturday a lot of them are free. There is also a big pay parking garage. Just obey the signs and don’t park in some professor’s reserved spot.

If you come on a weekday the easiest thing to do is just park in the giant underground garage that is accessed from 15th Ave and about 41st or 42nd and charges by the hour. That way you are certain you aren’t in the wrong spot. If you enter campus on the weekdays or Saturday morning you will pass by the parking kiosks and someone there will tell you where to park. On weekends they are empty and you just have to figure it out.

2 Likes