UW Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

Thanks for replying!

anyone know when honors decisons will come out?

Thanks!

My son received a Washington Stars in Engineering invite in the snail mail today. Is this sent out to all engineering students? Does anyone have experience with the program? Any thoughts?

I checked last year’s thread and the first mention of hearing from Honors was Thu, 3/19 and then others heard the following week. But general decisions came out a week later this year, so it could not be until next week.

Hi just checking to see if anyone has heard (or applied but not heard) from the music department for their entry into the major. Thanks!

My son heard he was accepted in the trumpet studio, but I believe scholarship info won’t come out until mid April.

Has anyone OOS heard about any need-based aid? i.e. anything in addition to the Purple and Gold merit award?

So question mostly for parents out there: how many other East Coasters are crazy enough to agree to send their teen across the country at the UW out of state prices? UW has been a dream school of my son for years…but based really on location (not because of a particular program, etc). We are going to visit again at the end of the month, but I wanted to see if there are others out there like us. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

What specifically about the location is appealing to your teen? If cost is a concern, your teen can always find summer jobs and internships at Seattle (weather is nicer anyway during summers) to experience the locale and its attractions.

1 Like

We are in-state. I think I would have a hard time encouraging my daughter to pay top private school prices to up with all the downsides of a place like UW (competitive majors, large weed-out classes, difficulties getting required classes, etc. etc.). It it what you put up with because it is in-state and cheap. That sort of thing would infuriate me if I was paying Stanford prices. In fact, all but one of the private schools she applied to would have been considerably cheaper than OOS UW. She applied to UO out of state and with $10k of merit aid, UO was still more expensive than all but one of the private schools she applied to.

I don’t know where else your son applied, but if he got into UW then he must certainly have qualified for decent merit aid at some privates. My daughter’s awards were in the $30k range from the private schools she applied to. I don’t think we’d be doing UW if we were OOS.

We did a big west cost road trip and didn’t even bother to apply to any UC schools for that reason, only private schools with merit aid. If she had gotten into a place like UCLA it would have just put us in a tough spot.

2 Likes

Thanks all. So he loved the Pacific Northwest and Seattle in particular. He 100 percent wants something “different” than home – which I appreciate. Seattle would definitely be that. He is also looking at Penn State and University of Denver as his other top two. (Diverse group I know.) DU gave him $$ and Penn State none. But DU money requires his GPA stay high…so I see that as similar to UW as he is interested in a social sciences capped major…so not impossible, but his grades will need to be good.

Crazy folk here too. My daughter wanted a large, city school in the north. We visited UW pre-pandemic and she loved the entire atmosphere, including the rainy weather and the general vibe of the NW culture. The world shut down so we couldn’t visit any other schools prior to applications. So she romanticized UW in her head even more. She received P&G, waiting to hear on Honors. I doubt we’ll get any financial aid other than loans. I put a spreadsheet together so she can see how much more it will be for the 4 years than her other choices. She was disappointed but at the time we had no idea what kind of aid she be offered anywhere. The fact is, we could afford it without debt, it just hard to think that money could be used elsewhere in our lives. And, frankly, the competitiveness of major selection is also concerning to me. She already puts a lot of pressure on herself. Plus, airline tickets are only going to rise when all this is over making travel that much more expensive.

She only applied to 6 schools, got into them all, and has narrowed it down to 3. I can’t imagine having more schools in the mix like a lot of kids seem to. We visited one of her schools last week and she was the happiest I’ve seen her in a long time, but she just isn’t letting go of UW. We visit the third option in a couple weeks. Then she’ll decide.

4 Likes

We are west-coasters who will HAVE to send our son across the country b/c our S was shut out from CA schools due to this crazy year and waitlisted at UW (his top choice). Fortunately we have the means to do so, and I am a fan of our kids getting away and having a different experience during college. So he will either be in the Midwest (Wisc or Indiana) or Northeast (Northeastern or BU).

It makes me feel better that I am not the only one considering this crazy plan. Like your daughter, my son believes there is no better place in the world than UW’s campus…even in the rain. Romanticized is a good word for it.

1 Like

Me too. I think that is part of the problem…I think it is great that he WANTS to go across the country and live somewhere that will be nothing like North Carolina. And knows that he will know no one else there. It just feels a little extra.
I am sorry you all have to shift off the West Coast, but Madison and Boston are both great places to be. We also know several folks headed to Indiana.
They will all end up where they were meant to be…

@Pippa0514 Yes, extra is correct. People looked at us sideways when we said she had her heart set on UW.

@Cameron121 NU is one of my daughter’s options. My husband is pushing for that because he loves Boston and the coop/experiential learning focus is so appealing. We’ll see how she likes the campus vibe. UMN is her other and she kept saying how nice everyone was when we visited. Nothing like the midwest when you are used to NYC and Philly personalities.

Has anyone from the East Coast received the official welcome materials yet?

We are : )

Not yet