UW Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

We are in TX and have been anxiously awaiting the official welcome materials for almost a week now…nothing yet! Funny to hear everyone on this thread discuss the way their kids want to go somewhere totally different and have decided on UW. My daughter wants to get as far away from TX and the South as possible. We are headed to Seattle for a visit in two weeks. Sounds like all our kiddos would get along! : )

3 Likes

We are just got back to the hotel from a self tour of UW, using their app. We are from CA and this is my second round of tours (kid one wanted to stay in CA, but kid two is interested in being outside of CA). I have to say that UW is one of the prettiest campuses I’ve seen, with the water and city just steps away. Wet and cold though, so be prepared for that. Coat, hat, gloves, umbrella.

2 Likes

Hahahaha could that be Easter Weekend? I’m also from Texas, headed to Seattle for a visit with my Dad

california, which is a lot closer, and still nothing! I expect it around this coming thursday though as admission packages usually come 2 weeks after the portal/email

We are in-state and only received a Congratulations mailer with some stickers in it. That is all.

Yep. Easter Weekend!

Usps informed delivery shows an envelope coming from UW today - maybe it’s the welcome package and stickers - we live on the east coast.

1 Like

We’ll be there next Monday-Wednesday. Every person in my son’s friend group is going to an NC in state school. Not sure why he is so hell bent on leaving… :slight_smile: The cold may make him think twice…he lives in shorts.

I can’t wait to see the campus again. We did tour it once when he was a freshman in HS and it was probably the best tour we did.

1 Like

Acceptance rates at a large state university can never be applied across all majors. Engineering and CS are generally always far more selective than other majors. You will see at places like Purdue and UC Boulder that students might be accepted to the uni, but not to the college of engineering. At UW, possibly they accept only to the college of engineering or not at all whereas some others offer “exploratory studies” or pre-engineering.

That said, your stats are quite good so you might try appealing if - and only if - UW is at the top of your list. Ideally, you still have plenty of other great choices.

Thank you. He’s definitely focused on one major and is wondering what this process does to the environment - are students competitive or more collaborative? He is at a very competitive Calif high school and did well, but is ready to just focus on a clear path to his intended field of study.

I wish all your out of state kids would have a word with mine! She is in-state and is dreaming of going to one of the UCs! I think its just a matter of romanticizing what they don’t have. I am hoping she will come around to seeing the value of what is right here a few hours away.

4 Likes

A CA college visit road trip last August during the peak of the wildfire season cured my WA daughter of some of the lure of CA! Didn’t happen on purpose. But all the long grimy smoke-filled drives across CA took some of the shine off the place. Happy she didn’t apply to UCLA! That would have been a tough nut to crack and pay for.

I have the same problem! We live about 2 hours north of the campus but yet my son wants to go to California! I want to offer to adopt a CA kid who wants to attend UW and in return they can adopt my son! :wink:

It doesn’t help that his older brother goes to UC Davis. Older brother gets in state tuition but he wouldn’t. Long story. We’ll have four years covered by the GI Bill so we’re debating if we want to pay OOS for just one and look at it like we were having to pay for both. It would just be a lot easier if he would want to go to UW, as it’s a GREAT school! But it’s tough to tell one kid they can’t go anywhere they’d like when the older one had that opportunity. Argh!

1 Like

Hi, just a quick qs. I am OOS and got accepted to UW. Any idea if my family relocates to UW, do I still pay OOS tution and if yes then for how long?

12 months prior to first date of a quarter starts, also need to give up the ties from previous state. You will lose any FA provided by the former state.

Thanks a lot. I am willing to pay OOS for the first year, just little confused that if I stay there for a year does my status changes and I can pay the in state tution. I am looking at the document but it is not clear.

You and your family (assuming you are not independent financially) will both have to relocate to Washington and establish residency–home, drivers license, bank account, voting, etc. After 12 months, you can apply to UW for a change to your residency status. A lot of times this is a slam dunk. I know in Florida some people have issues. Since WA is a zero state income state, like Florida, I don’t know if there are any challenges.

just got an email a few hours ago inviting me to join the UW honors program! anyone else?

2 Likes

Congrats! Same. How can we chat with current Honors students about their experience? Would love to find out where Housing is planned.

1 Like

Thank you.