UW Madison 4th on the CEO List

<p>On Wisconsin!</p>

<p>Where</a> the Fortune 500 CEOs Went to College - US News and World Report</p>

<p>Good showing, although one needs to take these things with a grain of salt. UW is a huge school, and as such you can expect it to do well in surveys like this that are not adjusted for the size of the school.</p>

<p>Still tops all other similar schools. How many UW students would get into Harvard? When you adjust for that UW does very well too. Pretty easy to produce stars from hand-picked most outstanding students in the world.</p>

<p>Comparing to “peer” schools, like UVA, U Michigan, UNC, UIUC, UCLA, UC Berkeley, etc. UW Madison is ahead on Fortune 500 CEO list. However, if ranked by Fortune 100, the ranking is a bit lower.</p>

<p>This is extremely impressive. Forget formulas, weights, and four-year grad rates. What do UW grads do, once they leave? </p>

<p>The answer is simple: THEY LEAD.</p>

<p>We recently has a couple F 100 CEOs retire that were alums—heads of Exxon and one other I forget. But Exxon was #1 or #2 at the time. With only so many of those jobs turning over you don’t get many shots at them.</p>

<p>Etherdome-</p>

<p>I agree it’s impressive but let’s not get too carried away. The ones who don’t graduate don’t get the chance to lead. </p>

<p>In any event, if we’re just looking at raw numbers and discounting the Ivies as having too big of an advantage I’d have to say that Notre Dame is the most impressive school on the list.</p>

<p>A few non-grads have done OK. Ken Behring–former CEO of Blackhawk Corp. and owner of Seahawks, Frank Llyod Wright, Charles Lindbergh and so on.</p>

<p>You can say that about a lot of schools, barrons. Please, let’s not turn this into another thread where UW boosters on CC – completely out of sync with UW’s administration – argue that nobody needs to care about graduation rates.</p>

<p>You brought it up after making some offhand jab that had nothing to do with the discussion at hand. You are welcome to stay as long as you keep the conversation on topic and don’t try to re-beat an old horse to death again. Enough is enough. If you want to do that dance again you just go to ignore again for the duration.</p>

<p>The bottom line is that UW grads can do well in the business world (as well in the many other worlds that matter to others of us). UW does better than many others in this - a plus.</p>

<p>This list is a positive affirmation of the Badger education in the past 10-20 years. Can we extrapolate the result going forward? I am asking the question as a parent who is about to send his kid to UW Madison.</p>

<p>We are lucky in this state to have an excellent public flagship U. Judging from news from other states in the economic downturn I think UW is doing much better than many or most. The caliber of the incoming freshmen has been at least as good as, or better than, recent classes. Ongoing campus building programs and academic initiatives are pointing UW in the right direction. I don’t think the new governor can ruin it, either.</p>

<p>I am more concerned with the new chairman for higher ed in the legislature. He’s a pure nut case with a strange hatred for UW. Biddy has her work cut out dealing with that boob.</p>

<p>I don’t buy the size argument. Wisconsin may be larger than many private universities, but the percentage of students at Wisconsin who aim for career paths that would lead to CEO is nowhere near the one at private universities Virtually every student at a school like Penn or Northwestern dreams of being an Investment Banker, Lawyer, Doctor or CEO. That is not the case with most Big 10 schools, where many students just want to be teachers, nurses, architects, engineers or work for the family business, be it running a grocery or farm.</p>

<p>Furthermore, what I found impressive about Wisconsin is the undergraduate figure of 11. Even adjusted for size, schools like Cornell, Northwestern and Penn do not do better.</p>

<p>Well done indeed.</p>

<p>This report is hard, cold evidence that UW’s business school means…business. </p>

<p>Who cares how many students go to UW? The fact is that UW produces leaders in the most competitive fields. </p>

<p>Do we worry that Auburn and Oregon are larger schools than say, Virginia or Georgia Tech? Heck no, Auburn and Oregon are the two best football teams in the nation. Period. </p>

<p>The University of Wisconsin is the fourth best business school in the nation. And, it is the best state business school. Period. Production is what counts.</p>

<p>Barrons, just for the record, go back and re-read this thread, look at etherdome’s comment before mine, and you’ll see that I did not make an “off-hand” comment about graduation rates. </p>

<p>Here, I’ll make it easier for you. He said:</p>

<p>“Forget formulas, weights, and four-year grad rates.”</p>

<p>I guess the rule for the UW board continues to be you can say anything you want about UW as long as barrons agrees with it?</p>

<p>“The ones who don’t graduate don’t get the chance to lead”.
I made it easy for you too.</p>

<p>My point, barrons, is that that comment was not at all “off hand.” It was directly in response to etherdome’s earlier comment.</p>