UW Madison Class of 2027 Official Thread

Are you in state? Crazy she didn’t get in. My OOS son was accepted in Jan with a 3.87/1490. He did have a great resume/very good essays. But not sure how your daughter didn’t get in?!? He isn’t actually going though since he got into UMich. UMich also wait lists a ton of kids. I just don’t get the process.

1 Like

This article would be interesting to read. Is there any way to screen shot it since it’s behind A pay wall?

High stats in state DD was deferred EA and then WL and offered the connections program. Anyone have information on this program? Not much in depth info on UW website and unable to get a human to talk with about it.

Basically do first two years at another UW campus but have other rights of regular Madison student. Guaranteed transfer after 2 years. CONNECTIONS PROGRAM – Office of Admissions and Recruitment – UW–Madison
Four-Year

Regional

Pretty good. 2024 Best Neurobiology & Neurosciences Schools

1 Like

The connections program does guarantee that you can transfer to UW-Madison, but it does not guarantee that you will be accepted to the College (Engineering, Business, etc) of your choice. You get to go to UW-Madison, but you might have to switch majors. We spoke with admissions staff at UW regarding this program. For example: you apply to UW-Madison College of Engineering for a degree in Biomedical Engineering, but get waitlisted/denied. So, you enroll in the Connections program and take 2 years to complete all the requirements. The College of Engineering can still reject you, even if UW Madison is required to take you. So you may find yourself having to get a degree in Biology at the College of Letters and Science instead of the Biomedical Engineering degree you had hoped for. Plus, many of the credits you took the 2 years at the other campus may not apply for your major, meaning that classwork ends up being worthless.

1 Like

Given that many people change majors is that such a risk? “College is a time for students to investigate opportunities and explore new interests. As a practical matter, about 80% of students in college end up changing their major at least once, according to the National Center for Education Statistics.”

1 Like

If offered a spot off of the waitlist for fall 2023 (freshman), how can they offer a spot and not have enough dorm space for them? Assuming this is something to be asked should anyone be offered a spot in the class of 2023 off of the waitlist?

1 Like

With 100s fewer new students this Fall there should be more spaces open. Also several private dorms campus adjacent. A large dorm is completing renovations and should be fully available. It has a prime location. Sellery Residence Hall Renovation – University Housing – UW–Madison

2 Likes

I’m surprised you were able to talk to an admissions advisor. My daughter tried calling and emailing and has been ghosted. The information online is not helpful. I found a power point presentation that was useless too. Very general. Some of my questions were about taking classes for your intended major and not counting at Madison and you answered that. DD thinks she wants to do dietetics and that has very specific requirements. Also, wondered if student wants to study abroad their junior year would that affect their 30 credit residency requirement for Madison? Many more questions that require a dialog with an informed person and because they don’t want to answer the phone this program seems like a dud. I am wondering how many students actually are enrolled in this program. Also, if DD hasn’t applied to one of the 4 year schools does she automatically get in? Get housing? Difficult to make an informed decision when one doesn’t have all the information.

This is information off of the website. Looking for more detailed information. One can’t make such an important decision with just this. How many enrolled in the connections program? If one decides to go to Stout or Green Bay are they automatically accepted and given housing?

All I saw was a picture. Drove 1000 miles and It worked out OK. Simpler times.

2 Likes

Sorry if this has been asked already. Have applicants been awarded merit already? We are OOS, so not expecting it at all (especially since accepted in second round after initial deferral), but I don’t have access to his email/portal etc.
Thanks in advance!

New REC Center opens. It’s awesome

5 Likes

Any waitlist kids get email today about continuing interest?

1 Like

My D23 just received the email today. It was a simple yes/no question form.

1 Like

Ours too, although not all of their friends got it (yet)?

2 Likes

We got an email also. I was yours asking a short question and asking to self report grades? Just wondering if all these emails are the same

2 Likes

Good luck to all !

1 Like

Delete

1 Like