UW Madison Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

i wonder how many more applications they got

Specifically

Due to a substantial increase in applications, we will be releasing Early Action decisions in late January – on or before our promised date of January 31, 2022.

We are unable to give more specific information regarding the date and time of our release.

2 Likes

last year was 50k+

Whelp. Bracing for deferral or rejection.

It will be interesting to see what constitutes a “substantial increase” and how many peers experience a similar increase.

This email gives us close to zero information. The stated response date was already January 31st. They never publicly promised a mid-December batch (although it is common knowledge to those of us who follow past years closely), so this email just reiterates what they already committed to.

The waiting is so difficult. All my kid’s other schools have already responded and sent welcome packages. UW-Madison is a wonderful school and worth waiting for - wishing all of you good luck!!

2 Likes

Well I’m assuming after last year’s December partial release their phones probably rang off the hook and e-mail boxes were full of questions from people who did not get their decision yet…They may want to spare themselves that onslaught this year by saving all to the end of January. Just guessing here but if I were managing a short staffed situation, this would at least prevent a fair amount of churn for the team.

I agree, I would want to lower expectations and give my team some breathing room. Last year, the December dump came out on the 15th, so I guess there is still a sliver of a chance, but highly unlikely based on the tone of their letter. We better prepare for the long January wait…

The real advantage to waiting until January is that anyone who applied ED elsewhere will have already removed themselves from the pool by the Jan release, so they’re not wasting admits on students who cannot go due to a binding decision elsewhere. My D is still deciding whether or not to apply (engineering). Had anticipated meeting the EA deadline but couldn’t get it out in time. She now has 2 acceptances elsewhere and a few other apps in, so we’ll see what happens. Hasn’t visited. Would love to hear what your impressions are.

2 Likes

On the other hand, the ED kids are the ones that UW would like.

Do any flagship publics do early decision?

University of Virginia

1 Like

Does anyone think that there is still a chance that we could hear back this week? Im in NJ so we usually get the December batch…

I’m pretty sure the message they sent was to tamp down any expectations of early releases.

Due to a substantial increase in applications, we will be releasing Early Action decisions in late January – on or before our promised date of January 31, 2022.

We are unable to give more specific information regarding the date and time of our release.

1 Like

I agree with suntala’s comments from a few days ago. UW may have analyzed last year’s numbers and realized they accepted a significant number of students who applied ED1 elsewhere. And ED is just becoming a bigger and bigger part of the overall application process each year.

My DS just got accepted to his ED college, so he is rescinding his UW application and all others. That’s one of many potentially extra open spots for some other deserving student at UW.

6 Likes

Today is the day many Wisconsin residents got their decisions last year. At 8pm.

2 Likes

Correct. If they were to release the decisions in December, it would probably be tomorrow or Friday though.

1 Like

My bet is that we won’t hear anything…but I can’t help having a tiny glimmer of hope

1 Like

The UW, like The Ohio State on MNF, just kidding.
I don’t think it matters.

1 Like

Does anyone think that they will release prior to January/within the next week or so for NY applicants even though they sent that email?

The way they worded it “we will be releasing Early Action decisions in late January” leads me to believe there is no chance they will release any decision, even to Wisconsin applicants, until late January. I hope I’m wrong :).

3 Likes

I’m pretty confident that the “we will release in late January” confirmation email means they will release in late January.

I’m also confident that we’ll see “the color of this icon on the portal changed, so I’m sure I’ll get a decision tomorrow” posts until then. Mostly on Reddit.

2 Likes