University of Wisconsin Early Action Fall 2023

This year, the Early Action (EA) deadline for the University of Wisconsin is November 1 .

Welcome to U or Wisconsin Early Action, Fall 2023. Ask questions. List your unweighted GPA. Any Sat /Act scores and Ecs. Majors you’re going into etc. We are here to help. Good Luck.

4 Likes

Does anyone know around what time, historically, they let their EA applications know? Thanks.

1 Like

Meaning what month…not time of the day. LOL

Looks like decisions came through on Jan. 29 for last year’s EA applications

2 Likes

Hi All! Chance my son?

OOS (rural, underserved community)
3.93 GPA
Applied to Neurobiology
NHS President
Youth Advisory Committee Secretary
Tons of volunteer hours
One of two high school students chosen to to be on a community task force with area physicians, counselors lawyers, police, and community leaders to address growing drug use in high school students
Co-founder of high school Agriculture Club
Various clubs/groups (Chemistry Club, Discussions of Diverse Spiritual Beliefs club)
Quizbowl member
Varsity Tennis and LaCrosse
Took all AP classes available at his school, AP Chem, AP Biology, AP World History, AP English…
Did not submit SAT scores

Any feedback? TIA!

2 Likes

Just replied to your Umich post. I think your son’s chances are quite good for UW as well, but it’s become a more and more popular school for OOS applicants, so this is a moving target that may not be so easily predicted.

3 Likes

I replied back to your UM post, thank you again for taking the time to repsond! Much appreciated.

D23 applied EA last week.

OOS, large CA public school
IB Diploma Candidate
4.0/4.65 GPA
Rank 1/550
34 ACT (35 SS but I guess WI doesn’t SS)
Communication Arts/RTV and Sociology as prospective majors
strong ECs

We visited last summer and she just loved Madison. Haha she has no idea about the winters!

4 Likes

Great stats! We visited a few months ago, too. UW and Madison are AMAZING. Our son loved it.

1 Like

I so wish they told them in December and not January. LOL. My son is nice and patient. Its just me…

5 Likes

Agree, Jan is too long

1 Like

Ugh - it was January last year? I have a current UW-Madison senior and he found out just before Christmas back in his day for EA (graduated 2019). I have a kid that applied this year too. We are also OOS. It seems like OOS admissions get tougher every year, I’m crossing fingers for my kiddo (and all of yours!).

UW-Madison was not at the top of my older son’s list when he applied but we LOVE it. Definitely has exceeded expectations. I am kind of hoping my younger kid ends up there, I love visiting Madison! I’m happy to answer questions from a UW-Madison parent perspective (or I can hit up my Badger too). He is a double major - CS is one of his majors.

5 Likes

I’m also happy to answer questions as a Madisonian. We live just a couple blocks from campus

3 Likes

Is it difficult to apply to good dorm? Can we apply to dorm before admitted?

I believe there is a lottery for dorms for admitted students.

3 Likes

There is a lottery to dorms. What I’ve noticed since my freshman started is if you roommate request, you are likely to get a less popular dorm and/or lower on your request list. If you take random roommate your odds are better. My kid requested an LLC first, random roommate and got it.

So if you have strong feelings for a dorm or area, I’d go random roommate. No guarentee of course.

5 Likes

I’m a current freshman and I’d say if you’re trying to get a dorm in southeast, your chances will be better if you have a roommate selected. Especially if you want a LLC like Business Connect imo. As always though, dorms are randomly selected.

1 Like

UW announced they will target significantly smaller class (8100) for next Fall. Expect tougher decisions–especially EA.

3 Likes

“Prospective students have until mid-January to apply, and must decide whether to enroll by the end of March.”

From the article. I’m pretty sure the reporters seriously misunderstood the table they cite in their hyperlink, which says admissions decisions are made by the end of March. Though I suppose one way to reduce enrollment is to accept a bunch of kids but tell them they must commit or decline before Ivy day!

8 Likes

Nobody ever said reporters were the brightest.

5 Likes