UW-Madison Fall 2016 Decisions

@jpamsel Yeah around 300. Usually closer to 250, but I rounded a bit. We have classes of just over 1,000 and a third of our class usually applies to Illinois, Wisconsin, and the likes. Kind of crazy!

Tough luck- Brew…- YOU can write the garbage proposed. Nothing about character- just about performance, btw. The facts- chances imply how one does relative to others. Others have better stats, better stats deserve admissions more. Nothing said about using the education at UW- UW admissions considers chances fore success- those who get lower grades are less likely to have the study habits required to be successful.

Often we see wishful thinking in chances requests- students seem to think we can wave a magic wand and tell them they will get in when they realize their chances may be low. If a student with lower grades junior year gets in this means a student who did better does not.

This is devolving. Honest answer- not everyone who could succeed can get in. Probabilities of getting in fall with lower stats. Those who do get in are at least as deserving. Obstacles not overcome don’t help.

Seriously, @wis75 , do you ever go back and edit your responses before you send them? You have neither a pipeline to “The Truth” nor a direct line to Bascom Hall. Get your ego out of this thread and stop the bullying that you cloak in self-professed “honesty”; it’s unseemly behavior for a UW alum.

Hmm @wis75 …nothing said about using the education at UW? So, you don’t remember saying this?

I believe in giving an honest answer too. However, I don’t believe you have to come across as being completely pompous and self righteous in order to convey an honest answer. Fortunately, I’m related to, work with, and know many people that graduated from UW-Madison. So I know that most UW grads are not as pretentious as you seem to be.

Here is a link to a blog posting regarding College Confidential written on the Huff Post - College a little more than a year ago that I thought was pretty interesting and accurate:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/the-prospect/5-dos-and-donts-of-colleg_b_6051580.html

Some items from this post:

Gee…wonder why it has this reputation? Fortunately there are enough people on this site who know how to give helpful advice without sounding condescending.

Exactly!

Thanks, Brew, for your responses. I’m following this thread on my OOS daughter’s behalf. She would love to go to Wisconsin, but I know she could be successful at Nebraska, Iowa State, Truman State…or anywhere else for that matter. If she doesn’t get in, she will be fine. I have one child who is at (gasp) Iowa State and is getting a great engineering education. He’s happy; it’s a good fit for him. He is comfortable working with his professors and even the head of the department. As a sophomore, he was approached by the head of the department regarding a job in the lab. When I read a few of the condescending, elitist comments on the thread, I start to think Wisconsin might not be a “good fit” for my daughter. Fortunately, enough of the posters are genuinely supportive and helpful. We’ll keep hoping! I hope all students here realize that if you are not “deemed worthy of a Wisconsin education” , you can still be very happy and successful at another school. All the best to you!

I think this waiting is seriously getting to our heads. calm down guys

@BrewCrew82 I feel like your missing the point @wis75 is trying to make. Being an applicant myself, I know my stats and how they compare to the quality of the applicant pool. The information is widely available. Applicants who post “Chance Me” threads have most likely already done a great deal of research on the admissions process. “Chance Me” threads serve no other purpose than to build the confidence of the applicant and this is clearly noticeable in most “Chance Me” threads. A lot of times, the poster would state their stats and then proceed to acknowledge that they are a sub-par student. Responding positively to students that have a low chance of getting in is pointless. Comments that bypass the importance of academics in exchange for the possibility of good character may actually hurt applicants who would have otherwise applied to other Universities. There is no condescension in stating that there are higher quality applicants. It might do that applicant good to know that they should prepare for a rejection.

Improving grades mean a lot from what I heard years ago from a UW admissions person. Junior year is the last one they see on an application. Sounds like you’ve learned how to study. The “holistic” process takes into account this and it isn’t just the gpa from all 3 years that counts. No guarantees because there are many students in that vast middle pool.

@wis75 and @Madison85. Does UW actually deny anyone in the first round of decisions? I have only seen “accepted” and “postponed” posts from the in-state kids who have heard so far. Maybe those denied just don’t bother visiting the thread again?

There are people who get denied.

Ok, thanks @cashmeresocks. : )

Here’s some hope for all of you still waiting–UW Madison answered a tweet yesterday from someone saying “19 more days” with “or less” so you probably aren’t going to have to wait until the 31st!

I think that’s just another way of saying “by the 31st”. : ) Although, they may be implying 2 more waves, one soon and one in 19 days…

They usually only post on fridays, so i think it will be either this friday, the 22nd or the 29th

Hoping for this friday for out of state! Fingers crossed.

anyone hear back yet?

@DQZ1213DQZ if it’s anything like UW’s previous admissions releases, it’ll probably be later tonight.

hey guys i was wondering if you could chance me.
i have a 2.5 GPA
I took the ACT’s and SAT’s
I got a 25 on ACTS
but I really like Wisconsin and have emailed them a bunch.
They haven’t responded yet but i think i still have a good chance i go to a really hard school.

@lovinglabs33 0 chance

Pins and Needles is the only way to describe waiting to hear from UW admissions! Hoping for the best…today!! Good luck everyone!