UW-Madison Fall 2016 Decisions

@qzqzqzqzqz I’m talking about UW. Strangely, UW uses the word “postponed” instead of “deferred” even though EVERY other college in the US uses the word “deferred”.

Lol they really weren’t kidding when they said “by the 31st.” I don’t think I can wait until tomorrow

So decisions for today will probably be released 8 EST again?

@mdnj16 Most likely, yes.

@sidthekid7 Deferred is different that postponed. The three application decisions that can be made by a college are admit, postpone, or deny. Deferred is the option given to accepted students who may withhold their final decision for up to a year. In that context, the college cannot “defer” you, only you can. You can see a further explanation of this on the Application Deadlines and Decisions page.

That’s not true at all. Michigan defers students who are not yet accepted in EA, as do many schools. What you’re talking about is deferred enrollment, not deferred in an admissions process. Being deferred at Michigan is the same as being postponed at UW, people are just wondering why UW uses a different word. @Tim2016Rus

@McKilla99 "Screw it, didn’t want to go here anyway.

Postponed:
SAT - 2320
Rank - Top 5% in one of the hardest curricula in the world.
ECs, Essay, and Rec - Awesome.

I don’t understand this decision."

I think that they suspect that you didn’t want to go here anyway, and that is why they postponed you. They know that it is unlikely that a student with those stats will attend as a full pay, so they postponed you.

If a student with your stats follows up with Admissions, and makes it clear that Wisconsin is their top choice, and that they will attend if admitted, then there is a very good chance that they will be admitted.

Do we think that OOS decisions will be tonight or tomorrow night?

Did anyone take the SAT?

@ghep444 I took it!

@25senior25 someone said that it might be posted today at 8 est

@coffee18 You misunderstood @timrus2016 - he was explaining UW-Madison’s terminology. He is not wrong.

On the UW-Madison thread, we don’t care what Michigan or any other school calls it.

my portal screen changed again when I went it to check, a new box appeared for course selection?

Everyone post GPA and ACT scores!

GPA: 3.98
ACT: 30

@Sandboxx24 why?

@sandboxx24 ??

Deferred may be associated with early action schools- UW has rolling admissions. Those postponed- this just means you are still in that large pool of applicants who still have a day or so to apply. It is NOT the same as being moved from an early action to regular decision pool. The end January notification is merely a courtesy to those who apply by the end of November to let them know where they stand. There will be some who are definite admits and rejects who hear sooner than most.

Remember- many schools give no decisions until March. Being postponed allows you to consider other schools before application deadlines in some cases. There are many students who applied in December and January whose applications need to be reviewed before UW can make decisions. Those applicants have an equal chance of admission with you.

I wonder if the school/college listed reflects what you put on your application. Everyone gets admitted to the university as a whole, regardless of proposed major. This is nice because you can change your mind later. Once at UW your academic record there will determine admission to your major. For many it’s easy. For some, such as certain popular engineering majors, education nursing business and some others the supply is exceeded by the demand. They limit numbers to allow majors to get the courses they need so it is competitive. Look at majors on the UW website.

everyone who has heard back, no matter the decision, did you get an email? Can I stop checking the portal and just wait for the email?

@sabchdef you get the email about 1 hour after your decision is posted on the portal

Why do people think 8 pm is the time that decisions will be released?