UW-Madison Fall 2016 Decisions

Called the admissions office this week because we have a flight to UW tomorrow late morning. Asked if we would hear before our flight, so we could cancel if not accepted. Admissions office said YES, we would hear by Sunday morning, but I am not sure sure. CO resident

He said he got in at 8:17 central time. Considering it’s not 8:17, he clearly didn’t get in today.

@willstx She did clarify though. She said that he is from Milwaukee, and it was not today. Best of luck!

^ Shoot so sorry! Yes, I got in on the 18th of December. Sorry everyone!
(And I am a girl)

What is the benefit to continue dragging this out? Why not just release the decisions? I don’t get it.

someone should call admissions

It seems like this year the admissions office is procrastinating more than we do for school.

I wonder if the admissions team reads this thread.

I’ve heard that this year UW lost a lot of admissions counselors to UT Austin so the process has been longer. It could just be a rumor though. Cut UW some slack - they said that they would release decisions by January 31st. If it’s after January 31st and you haven’t received a decision, then you can worry. :slight_smile:

I’m getting reeaal frustrated. There’s no way they are still reviewing applications this late. What could they possibly be doing that they can’t just release them?

@Much2learn It seems that UW-Madison admissions has much to learn… (Sorry bad joke) In all seriousness it is probably partly to avoid releasing them all at the same time and having their site crash. Also, who knows they may be changing decisions of some borderline kids because of ED applicants going elsewhere or various other factors.

It’s pretty unfair to us out of staters to have accepted those that are in state so early and have us still waiting, I’m almost positive that the admissions office aren’t still making decisions it’s crazy that a huge university such as UW can’t just release at once most of the other larger big 10 schools have… I absolutely love Wisconsin but come on!

@johnsteinbeck “someone should call admissions”

Right. Since they are all still there making the final decisions, I am sure someone would answer the phone. lol

@CollegeMan91 WE ARE the ED applicants.

I can’t understand why it’s “unfair”… UW Madison is a state university so they will favor Wisconsin students, just as I have slim chances of getting into UC Berkeley because I am OOS and its a California school. Its unfortunate, but just how it works.

@mdnj16 How is that unfair? There is a reason they get an advantage in the admissions process, and whatnot…

1. They pay taxes that help fund the university
  2. They are more likely to attend than an OOS student
    Besides, they have not broken any of their “promises”… January 31, means January 31

Also anyone find it funny that wisco still claims to be a “rolling admission” school? I wouldn’t exactly call the day before the deadline rolling lol

@CollegeMan91 you stole the words right outta my mouth. Thanks for stating that much more eloquently than I!

as someone said, theyre probably avoiding releasing them all at the same time so their site doesnt crash… Florida State “released” decisions at 5pm but i wasnt able to view mine until 11pm because the entire site was down…it was a huge debacle and many students were mad. while you may think that its “unfair” that UW has you waiting so long, the admission office operates on it’s own discretion so it might be good to just chill and be pleasantly surprised when the decision does show up in your inbox

@Sandboxx24 When I say ED I am referring to actual early decision schools, where applicants must sign a contract stating that if they get in (and can afford it) then they will attend. UW-Madison does not have early decisions, just a priority deadline.
@mdnj16 Well they are rolling admissions because some students were admitted already before others, and it has been done in waves. That is rolling admissions, just not as rolling as some other schools may be.

EDIT: Also, I too am an applicant so although I agree it would be NICE to get a decision earlier, they are in no way or form obligated to do so. Heck, some other state schools don’t get back to students until March!