UW-Madison tuition forecast to go up at least 20% in next two years

<p>UW-Madison</a> tuition would need to rise 26% over 2 years to offset budget cuts</p>

<p>OK, let’s try a little ‘reading comprehension’ and read what it actually says: </p>

<p>UW-Madison tuition WOULD NEED TO rise 26 percent over the next two years to offset a PROPOSED state budget reduction, according to the full memo from UW-Madison Chancellor Biddy Martin to Department of Administration Secretary Mike Huebsch.</p>

<p>And Biddy Martin’s plan in response? From the same article.</p>

<p>Instead, she proposes increasing tuition by an average of 20 percent over the biennium, according to the memo.</p>

<p>At 10% a year that is below what many states U’s did the last budget cycle where 15% and higher increases were not uncommon. UC went up what 32%?? Even with a 20% increase UW would still be right in the middle of where the B10 schools are today–and they will go up too. About time IMHO. You can’t provide quality without cash.</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.statenews.com/index.php/article/2010/07/msu_6th_in_big_ten_for_highest_201011_tuition[/url]”>MSU 6th in Big Ten for highest 2010-11 tuition - The State News;

<p>For some people, it will be good, for some people, it will be bad. I just wanted parents of prospective and current UW-Madison students to know that these changes are in the works.</p>

<p>I’d bet 10% will be an average increase among all major publics this cycle. Most are losing the stimulus funding they got with no backfill by the states. That plus flat or cut state money=big tuition increases. Virginia is looking at around 10%. Washington at least that much to 15%.</p>

<p>State school tuition will increase nationwide out of necessity (as barrons said), while students’ families’ incomes largely remain stagnant and prices for food and clothing increase due to commodities price increases.</p>

<p>Who thinks that plan is going to work, anywhere?</p>

<p>The current plan is obviously not working. Our society has dug itself into a hole by spending money it didn’t really have. I guess we can’t really afford the lifestyle so many have become used to. I’m old enough to remember when the average household had far fewer luxuries- things taken for granted by this generation of students regardles of their family’s income status. The United States has been living on borrowed money for a long time now and the worldwide creditors want their share of the wealth.</p>