UW Madison vs University of Michigan

<p>I've been accepted to both UW and UM, and am currently stuck between which to attend. I am looking to pursue political science, spanish, and economics. I'm also looking to not leave college with 100 grand in debt, since It's my intention to go onto grad school later in my life. Why should I attend one university over the other, what does each have to offer? </p>

<p>Both are excellent flagship U’s. Figure out the cost of attending for you. Do not expect any merit aid. Consider tuition/fees, room and board, travel expenses et al. UW has a great dorm and meal plan experience. Michigan appears to have two campus areas- bus needed to get between them, would your dorm be in the same area as your classes…? Obviously if you are instate for one of these choose that one and save money. Only you can determine your list of priorities. If possible, visit each campus and see which one feels the most comfortable.</p>

<p>You also need buses to get around UW-Madison’s campus. Many of the lakeshore dorms are quite a walk from the central campus.</p>

<p>For your intended majors, you are not likely going to the North Campus at UMich (at least not often). The bus ride would be a non-issue for you.</p>

<p>If you are out of state for both, then not likely to get significant aid at either UW or Michigan. The OOS tuition at UW is about $12k less than at Michigan, so roughly $50k difference over 4 years. </p>

<p>Poli Sci and Econ at UW are top ranked departments. Michigan is synonymous with the pinacle of public flagship quality across the board. Both schools will offer incredible profs, great undergrad research opportunities. </p>

<p>Have you applied to UW Honors program? All admitted students at UW are invited to apply, app requires a few short essays. However, the Honors application deadline is a rolling one, based on the date of each student’s admission to UW, so some students miss the deadline, assuming it is a generic date later in the spring. One advantage of Honors at UW is that students can apply for summer research fellowships to work with a professor (though fewer go to social sciences than sciences/engineering proposals). Honors sections of intro classes (similar to most Honors programs) are taught by Prof, not a grad student, so you can develop relationships with profs sooner. Michigan also has Honors program and, my perception – which could be wrong – is that Michigan Honors admission was more stat-driven and UW is more directed towards students interested in deeper engagement, regardless of stats. For ex, my son’s stats did not make him a clear-cut admit at UW, but once in, he wrote some interesting essays, was admitted to Honors, and enjoys (and does well in) his Honors classes. </p>

<p>Really cannot go wrong with either school. As a parent, my personal view is that a successful student at UW can go wherever they want so I would prefer to save the difference between UW and Michigan tuition. Of course, as a UW parent, I am biased. </p>

<p>Edge to UW for econ and UM for Polic Sci. </p>

<p>I missed my deadline for UW honors. Any idea if you can apply midway through the year? </p>

<p>to the OP – you can apply to UW Honors during fall semester as a freshman, not foreclosed at all. Only value to being already in Honors as an incoming freshman is you can get Honors advising and take Honors sections that first semester. Not a big deal to have let that deadline pass. As a parent, I like UW Honors because it is not only about stats. At IU, where we are in state, if you have a 3.95 and a 30 ACT, automatic Honors. Your gpa can drop to a 3.85, but your ACT has to rise to at least a 34 to get into Honors. If you don’t meet that cut off, no Honors. For the thoughtful, interesting kids who maybe weren’t focused on maximizing their stats, UW recognizes they can benefit from, and contribute to, Honors classes. </p>

<p>Have you visited both schools? Do you have a gut reaction? On paper, they both have so much to offer – superb academics, great college towns, great big-sports, greek life if you want it but not a big part of campus life if you don’t. Weather isn’t exactly great at either of them, though they do have 4 seasons. Is there one of them you just loved? I am not sure there is a non-emotional basis on which to distinguish them. </p>

<p>Good luck, and congrats. </p>

<p>NO bus needed on UW campus, it is a luxury. You can walk from Humanities to an Ag building in less than the 15 minutes between classes if you need to. Been there, done that (only one back to back class assignment to the far ends in 8 semesters). Lakeshore is not at all inconvenient for the center of campus. It is actually good exercise to walk the UW campus- something many college students need. Honors can be entered at any time (but late in your college career it could mean extra semesters to fulfill Honors degree requirements) and I’ll bet you could work on getting in even now so you can have Honors advising at SOAR. Doesn’t hurt to try. You may even try to take Honors courses if there is room. Being in the Honors Program has no bearing on housing- you can choose any dorm. This is great as Honors students, even in the same major, like different styles and locations.</p>

<p>Yes in theory you can walk if you have the time, but not when it is -11, which has not been an infrequent occurrence this winter and you don’t have the time between classes. Students routinely take buses. Getting over to pharmacy or nursing from a southeast dorm is not really walkable. </p>

<p>Most students with classes in those buildings will not be freshmen living in dorms. It is walkable from starting at any dorm- you just leave a bit earlier. Highly unlikely to have back to back classes on opposite ends of campus. Students have choices- wait in the cold for a bus or keep moving.</p>