UW vs Northwestern...ahhh I'm pulling out my hair!!!

<p>I'm trying to make a really hard decision between UW and Northwestern. Everyone tells me to go to Northwestern because "it's obviously the better school," but I'm under the impression that, perhaps, UW's research opportunities and science departments are better than that of NU's (since NU is a very liberal arts school despite what it says about their institution with all their theater, english, fine arts, and social sciences majors). How reputable is biochemistry or biology at Wisconsin?</p>

<p>I know I'll be able to make the best out of my experience at either UW or NU, but I'll never know how my life may differ. Right now, cost is not important --- I'll figure out which school I like more and then make cost an issue. However, I know I want to major in the sciences and go along a pre-med track. Which ever school I go to for undergrad probably will not be the school I go to for med school (some might say I'm jumping ahead of myself by saying I'll want to go to med school in 4 years, but I'll just assume that for now). </p>

<p>I also hear the internships are better at NU, and the connections I make at NU will probably be pretty diverse. If I go to UW, will I have many opportunities to branch out to other types of students (different majors) or will I pretty have an overwhelming majority of friends from the individual college (or plainly the science people) in UW?</p>

<p>First congrats! It's a tough problem to have. :) </p>

<p>Your instinct is right on the money. The biochemistry department is among the very best in the nation. And "biology" is the life blood of UW (even a hardcore ECE alum knows that!). Just take a good look at how diverse and integrated bio-related programs/resource at UW. I am sure others, especially wis75, will have a lot to say about this. If you choose UW, definitely consider taking on the honors track for four years. </p>

<p>If you are willing to step outside labs/libraries, you will meet all those people that UW the #1 party school (oops, I am not supposed to say that, right? :))</p>

<p>Also, consider the atmosphere- liberal public versus more conservative private. I've seen the NU campus, son never applied there, which was fine with me. Don't worry about medical school admissions based on your choice of undergrad school, with state subsidies your state of residency influences even the private schools (going to NU may give you an edge there, but don't pick it for that reason, you'll be happier and do better at the better fit school). I presume you've seen both campuses, given your Chicago location it is easy for you to revisit each- do so. Go where you feel the best fit, academic and otherwise. </p>

<p>PS- I know a kid who chose NU for premed and likes it, that family is more conservative politically than we are, both families could easily afford either so it wasn't a financial decision for us. You may decide to do research ultimately instead of going the MD route, or both MD-PhD, in which case the above posted info comes into play. Good luck, enjoy your choice and don't look back, there will always be choices you could have/should have made.</p>

<p>In answer to the final OP paragraph- dallas, here's where I get to promote UW- at Madison you will share the dorms and many classes with diverse students, and you can expand your horizons with your outside of class activities (I hate to use the word extracurriculars in college, that implies sanctioned, formal activities). Even the honors program does not isolate you from the rest of the student body. You choose your friends, you may end up with different sets of friends for different activities. You can be as serious or fun loving/social as you choose. I'm sure that applies to both schools.</p>

<p>OP, after my first post, I shot an e-mail to Dan Barnish who advises biochem undergraduates at UW. Since there are quite a few on this forum intend to premed, I will share some new info I just found out. </p>

<p>Many of the same professors that teach graduate program also teach the undergrad program so one could argue the quality of the biochem program at undergrad is as good as at graduate. There are definitely more research opportunities available than NW. There is also no restriction of type/kind of research an undergrad can pursue (which is a big plus). The caveat is finding a professor who is willing to direct and/or take the student into his/her lab. Independent studies are norm for those intend to pre-med (I suppose that provides one the edge in med school application) The honors has some advantages but is not necessary. A vast majority of graduates go to UW, Medical College of Wisconsin (Milwaukee) and University of Minnesota. </p>

<p>A personal note to OP: I saw someone arguing that UW undergraduates have subpar access to research in your other thread. That response is a total nonsense and common misinformed bias against large public universities! You strike me as someone who is focused and know where you are going. You will do well regardless the school you go to. So pick the place that makes and keeps you happy. Good luck with your decision!</p>

<p>Research is very possible at UW. There is an undergraduate symposium, this week. Check out the UW website about it. (sorry, I don't know how/ too lazy to get you the link). Also, the Honors program has a lot of science classes with research as a part of the lab. Taking a regular class for honors involves talking with the professor to decide what to do for the project/paper for honors credit- many opportunities to get to know people who can steer you in the direction you want to go and be useful for recommendations.</p>

<p>My son is a freshman at UW and is doing both math and physics research. He sought out professors, discussed his interests, and is now doing 15+ hours a week of research. Here's the link to the symposium noted above: <a href="http://www.learning.wisc.edu/ugsymposium/%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.learning.wisc.edu/ugsymposium/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>if u plan on attending some sort of grad school/med school. i would personally go with madison. and its soley because i dont think NU is worth the 50k. Madison's department is very reputalbe. and its not about the school. its about how hard you want to work.</p>

<p>this does not make my situation any easier...
the chicago alumni association just called me telling me that I got their $5,000 per year scholarship, and they want an answer by this friday!
that means I have to make my decision 2 weeks earlier than May 1st!!!!</p>

<p>Congrats again!! There are quite a few like to be on your shoe. </p>

<p>Curious: what does your parent say?</p>

<p>my parents simply say Northwestern</p>

<p>After getting that scholarship I think Madison is too much to turn down. You know, those US News rankings aren't everything, and if they are, you can see that Madison and NW are not far apart in quality. Go to Madison and make a hell of an education for yourself. </p>

<p>Hope to see you next year :)</p>

<p>nvk, I can certainly see your parents' point of view. You know, it seems so yesterday when mime asked to me to go Wolverine over Badger. So, you can imagine my delight reading how many of you are struggling with that very same decision. All I can is everything will work out just fine.</p>

<p>I'll offer another piece of advise (from Steve Jobs commentment address @ Stanford): </p>

<p>
[quote]

Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Believe me or not. I, too, have to a major decision to make by Monday. This time, between that great business school at Hyde Park and a decent one at upstate New York where my heart lies. Fortunately, my parents don't have a say this time. But my spouse and kids do. :) Best wishes!</p>