Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

Sending hugs… life is so unlike the magazines sometimes with their blue skies and white shirt gardeners smiling with adorable kids at their side…

I wish you well.

1 Like

I wish I could find the reference, but I read somewhere that novavax when approved would be one of the vaccines sent abroad to countries needing vaccines.

Most people don’t need a “vaccine holiday.” Most people have only a sore arm. Even my friends who had worse effects felt bad for only a day or so.

My friends in South Africa who just got COVID, along with their 25-year-old son, are having to isolate for two weeks. That’s a much longer “holiday” than any they would have had to take if they had been able to get vaccinated as they would have loved to.

13 Likes

The reporting was from WKRC in Saginaw Michigan, nothing to do with Fox. The article was reposted by a local Baltimore channel Fox 45 who I can assure you is not affiliated with a national news network with a similar name. Fox 45 is in fact a very liberal news source. It is also current news as the article is from July 3rd. I don’t see where it was shared earlier, perhaps I’m mistaken though.

I believe instances like this do contribute to vaccine reluctance. These instances should not be ignored and should be shared with the public. Absolutely the odds are much less than other hazards but that’s no reason to dismiss or hide the data points. People making decisions should be able to do so with all available data in front of them.

Further up in this thread I posted regarding a neighbors sister that possibly died as a result of complications from the vaccine. Obviously it takes months to figure these things out but when rare cases pop up that are highly suspect they should be paid attention too. I wanted all the information I could get when making my decisions regarding my family and others deserve to have all the information too.

3 Likes

My point is I would have been more concerned if there had been two teens involved. There wasn’t - or doesn’t seem to have been. This looks like the same teen reported about mid June when it happened.

I like to stay on top of all that is going on personally, but double counting isn’t needed.

2 Likes

I’m concerned that I could have more side effects because I had antibodies.

Anecdotal but those that I know that had covid and then received the vaccine seem to have had little to no side effects from the vaccine.

3 Likes

Six of D2’s friends had Covid after attending a Halloween party. They are all mid 20’s and I saw all of them at a party last month. All 6 have now been vaccinated and no one had any trouble with the vaccine except the usual sore arms.

3 Likes

This is the most recent reference to Novavax that I found in a quick Google search: https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2021/06/novavax-covid-vaccine-90-effective-phase-3-trial

Although it does mention international distribution, it doesn’t say it won’t be used in the U.S…

It doesn’t require the super-cold storage temps of the mRNA vaccines.

The manufacturer is several months away from requesting approval (EUA?).

1 Like

Thanks. That’s reassuring.

1 Like

Very helpful! Thank you!

1 Like

What’s so frustrating about the politicization of vaccination and the “I’ll wait until I get more data” response (which is often a more politically correct form of the politicized response because the people who say this aren’t really looking at any science/data) is that this really isn’t just about personal choice. If you refuse to wear seat belts as a personal choice or a motorcycle helmet and die, I would think you would have born the consequences of a bad choice. Similarly, if someone persuades you that your blood pressure medicine contains a chip from Bill Gates and hence you decide not to take it and you die, I would also write that off as your bad choice.

However, your choices affect other people. If in the case of seat belts or motorcycle helmets or blood pressure medicine, you may not die but may be hospitalized (and in the case of motorcycle accidents, maybe institutionalized permanently in brain injury wards). The rest of us folk who did wear seat belts, wore helmets or took blood pressure will be paying for you. And your loved ones will be spending time, energy and money (and maybe changing their whole lives) as a result.

The same would be true for a decision not to be vaccinated. If you died, your bad. If you survive, the rest of us are spending time, money and energy on you because you made that choice.

But even more important with the vaccine, your failure to get vaccinated increases the chances that others will get sick. And, by failing to get vaccinated, you also increase the probability of more harmful variants coming into existence. Finally, the more of a person’s social sphere that are vaccinated, the more likely a person is to get vaccinated. Hence, your failure to be vaccinated decreases the probability that others around you will get vaccinated, thereby further increasing the chances others get sick or that a bad variant develops. [These latter two effects are small but not zero for any individual but very meaningful overall].

When my choice affects you, I should think not just about my own comfort with health and risk, but I should think about my effects on others. Sometimes economic incentives will work. If people who smoke have to pay higher rates for insurance, perhaps people who fail to get a vaccine should have to pay a higher rate for insurance.

In the short run, though, the OP’s question is how to persuade a vaccine reluctant person to get vaccinated. I would turn to a classic works on persuasion. One typically innoculates upfront by acknowledging the elephants in the room – objections people often have. If you don’t, that will be what the person is thinking about while you are trying to persuade them.

Then I would turn to the six principles of persuasion outlined by Robert Cialdini in his classic book called influence (You can find some great youtube videos summarizing it):

• Reciprocity; (You are more likely to say yes to something if I have already done something nice for you. If after you took someone out to dinner, you asked them to do you a favor, they are more likely to do it. I used to go to a men’s clothing store that would offer espressos/lattes and warm banana bread while you were trying on expensive suits).
  • Commitment/consistency; (If you take a small step, like making an appointment that you can cancel (or even watching a video about the vaccine from a respected scientist), you are more likely to say yes later to the vaccination. You might combine these two by getting them to agree to an opt-out appointment and then offering to drive them to the appointment if they choose to go.
  • Social proof; (You are more likely to do things if others similar to you are doing them. In this case, it would be helpful to find examples of people like them, including friends, who have been vaccinated. )
  • Authority; People are more likely to act in a manner that is suggested by people with the right kind of authority. Usually that would be medical, scientific and public health officials, but in this case, it might be Republicans like Tucker Carlsen and Jim Jordan. Interestingly, I suspect many of the Republicans who undermine the vaccine choice like Tucker Carlsen and Ron Johnson have probably been vaccinated. It would be interesting to collect the folks are jumping up and down about Fauci have been vaccinated and use their authority (Do what I do not what I say).
  • Liking; People are more likely to be persuaded by people who they like are are, in key ways, like them. Similar social class, race (probably), profession, stage of life, etc.
  • Scarcity. People are more likely to say yes if the opportunity to do so is going away. hard to see how that applies here.
10 Likes

“Vaccine reluctance” … Reading these threads is often disappointing but not surprising given how it has become another divisive issue to add to our collection of excuses to take sides & vilify the other. Everyone should be (if nothing else) disturbed by the blatant censorship in all aspects/platforms of anything that goes against the/a preferred narrative. Do most even realize this is happening ? To me, it is the very definition of “anti-science” ! Look back at what we have learned & found to be true/untrue just in the past 12 months, over time knowledge is supposed to be gained and this principle applies to vax technology as well.

Unfortunately we are in an environment where one is presumed morally “BAD” if you express skepticism of things that are reasonable to be skeptical about - one’s own health. This theme comes through loud and clear. I take great exception to this as a person who is proud of and enjoys reading/learning about differing views with a respectful, open mind. Why so judgmental here ?

I simply do not see it being reciprocated.

7 Likes

Someone said that one has to be careful with having too open of a mind, in case their brain falls out…

3 Likes

If I had to guess, I’d say it’s 100% due to what’s been stated many times already: a decision ceases to be personal when it makes someone else very sick or possibly kills them. The person who infects others didn’t give those people a choice.

8 Likes

Are we as judgemental of those that don’t get the flu vaccine every year? Those who don’t can also infect others and potentially cause harm/death. Yes, it’s not on the same level but it’s still deadly to some. Where’s the angst about flu vaccine reluctance?

I get the flu vaccine every year after having a bad experience almost 20 years ago.

1 Like

Maybe because the flu didn’t kill 600,000 people last year?

12 Likes

I’m judgmental regarding those who DUI or DWUI, plus those who text or other distracting things while driving, knowing people doing such things are often the cause of accidents hurting others (less concerned when they hurt or kill themselves).

I’m also judgmental regarding those who smoke in my presence because no, I don’t want secondhand smoke in my lungs even if it’s not an immediate killer.

So for me, it’s right in line to be judgmental of those who choose to still go out and about as normal and aren’t vaxed, but are eligible plus have no medical reason not to be. I don’t mind those who still isolate or wear masks with social distancing, plus those who have legit medical issues.

Personally, we just axed going into restaurants locally for the next couple of weeks while we see what happens post July 4th with Delta around. I’ll still do stores as needed, but we don’t need to go in stores often and I don’t hang around others there.

Tonight is take out while watching Jumanji (again). Should be safe - and fun. :wink:

8 Likes

But the flu does kill approximately 35,000 a year with the availability of a vaccine. How many will covid end up killing yearly once the vaccines are in wider use? Will it be less than that? Will it be zero? If we’re concerned about preventable deaths because of vaccine reluctance wouldn’t we also be concerned about those 35,000 lives lost yearly?

1 Like