Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

Coming from a morbidly obese clinical nursing instructor (implies she is at the hospital at some point with her students) with a Masters level education, that’s some extreme magical thinking.

SMH…

18 Likes

They also have a very high mutation rate, so they would likely require vaccinations every 6 months or so. Add to that the discomfort that many people will have from vaccination side effects, and, for most people, you end up with no real difference in discomfort from the cold versus from the vaccinations.

1 Like

I think he knows that but wanted the approval of his family (but I also think he was the driving force and would have gotten the vaccine anyway).

You do not need insurance to get a vaccine. They might ask, but if you say you don’t have it you get the shot anyway. Most of the big clinics (parking lots, convention centers) don’t even ask.

5 Likes

Students who are young for their grade may turn 18 years old after they have started classes at college.

1 Like

That suggests that they need to pay more and do more to build employee trust to attract and retain (good) employees. When employee dissatisfaction and distrust leads employees to do something specifically harmful to the business (in the nursing home situation, not getting vaccinated and increasing the risk of bringing the virus to the medically vulnerable residents – sort of like an informal labor action, without needing a union or explicitly calling a strike), that is something that should be a warning to all involved about both the business and its employees. Would you want to trust your elderly medically vulnerable relative to a business that is untrusted by dissatisfied employees who sabotage the business by refusing vaccinations against communicable diseases that are dangerous for elderly medically vulnerable people?

Of course, that also means that customers may have to pay more (and it is already expensive to be in a nursing home).

If those were the only (bad) choices, that would mean that elderly (and probably medically vulnerable if they would benefit from being in a nursing home) persons and their relatives need to do their utmost to avoid having to go into a nursing home.

3 Likes

I agree that in a perfect world, employers would be able to hire the best employees and pay them top dollar. That’s not the real world.

It costs quite a bit more to be in a nursing home in a metro area than in a rural one, and that’s often because of wages. Minimum wage in Denver is $15/hr. Minimum wage in Cheyenne WY, only 2 hours away, is $7.25.

The VAX rate in independent living at my mom’s CCers is 98% for residents and over 85% for staff. Staff wear both masks & shields at all times. No infections in CCRC except one resident who traveled, tested positive snd was immediately isolated.

I spoke with an urgent care doctor tonight. He told us the symptomatic patients he is seeing are all fully vaccinated. He seemed very puzzled by it.

Meanwhile, a friend’s D is an ICU nurse and having a lot of patients who are fully vaccinated.

I know there will always be some breakthrough infections but they made it seem like they were very concerned by the proportion of vaccinated versus unvaccinated patients.

It’s making me think boosters might be necessary. I hope someone is keeping track of the ages and co-morbidities of these people as well as the time since vaccination.

4 Likes

I wonder if it’s because vaxed folks feel “safer” and are taking more risks like more dining indoors, more unmasked gatherings, more travel? Just a thought.

Several fully vaxed folks I know are flying and surprised H and I aren’t.

1 Like

This is probably true relative to themselves before getting vaccinated.

However, the apparent tendency is that many vaccine refusers are also more likely to dismiss that COVID-19 is a serious disease and are least willing to take COVID-19 precautions (masks and social distancing etc.) when not enforceably required, while many who almost certainly got vaccinated are still very afraid of COVID-19 (e.g. continuing to wear masks in uncrowded outdoor situations like a walk in the park). Some of the latter may be immune compromised etc., but probably nowhere near as many as I see.

When the trials of the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines were concluded the results showed them to be 90-95% effective. That is phenomenal for a vaccine. But it is not 100%! I do not understand why people are surprised that there are breakthrough infections. Such infections are the exception and hopefully result in mild cases.

1 Like

This makes me mad, but not surprised due to how much cwap is made up and spread around in this day and age on multiple subjects. Kudos to those who exposed it.

I have no desire to fly! (My entire family is fully vaxxed.) Or travel anywhere where there are a lot of people vacationing, particularly in low vax area.

I’d be looking into where these folks got their vaccine if it’s a trend in a locality. My medical lad has been working in the hospital for weeks now and hasn’t seen or heard of it happening.

6 Likes

Very interesting thought, @Creekland

These professionals are in Philadelphia and South Jersey. In South Jersey many who got vaccinated early on went to the mega sites.

It’s interesting to think about that in Japan, at least when I was a young mom there, the National government administered the polio vaccination program in municipal clinics in order for them to keep an eye on any issues with vaccine batches.

Meanwhile, here is a link with some interesting visuals on breakthrough infections in Israel. It’s startling. And, honestly, is something that challenges me regarding vaccinating sooner rather than later despite my current immune status.

I have to wonder how or even if they are determining what infected patients are vaccinated. Are they asking to see their vax card (which is easily counterfeited)? Or are they taking the patients’ word for it that they are vaccinated? Some sick unvaccinated patients may say they are vaccinated to avoid getting a lecture or a dirty look from the staff.

2 Likes

I love that Israel is keeping good track of things. Quite honestly I’ll be among the first in line when it looks like we should get a booster. We’re Team Pfizer and had our second shot in April, so that might be relatively soon, esp since I enjoy having gone back to life as normal.

4 Likes

In your posts you appear to be vaccine hesitant. Like many people you are focusing on the exceptions that confirm your bias, not the overall facts.

5 Likes

I’m not sure about all states but I believe there is a vaccine database in our state. There is definitely one that keeps track of childhood immunizations. Medical professionals access to it as far as I know.

When I went in to labcorp, they knew I was not vaccinated yet…??