Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

Exactly! When I need to make a medical decision, I ask my doctor what she would do in that case. And I follow her lead.

2 Likes

our data suggest that most patients with immediate and potentially allergic reactions to mRNA COVID-19 vaccines tolerate a second dose.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/2782348?guestAccessKey=5bce44d8-672d-454c-bf71-b4b9a66cb866&utm_source=For_The_Media&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=ftm_links&utm_content=tfl&utm_term=072621

Another Fact Check posted due to another snake oil saleswoman’s made up video. She won’t post any data supporting what she said and ALL the data that is out there points the opposite direction - by far odds-wise. Nonetheless, as with the humor video I posted a couple days ago, apparently the only words some people need to hear are, “well that’s what I heard,” without a care in the world if anything supports it.

A popular phrase back in my product marketing days was " you can’t fight stupid". I thinks that’s where we may be with the vaccine. Logic wont move the needle, door-to-door vaccine administration wont noticeably increase vaccine rates. Asking business and state/local governments to provide leadership will meet with mixed results until the federal government steps up and shows some leadership and it sounds like they are starting to do so.

The federal government should with the power of the pen require all federal employees to get vaccinated (including the military). They should require anyone traveling by air to be vaccinated. Federal school money should be tied to schools requiring students be vaccinated.

The government should accelerate approval of the vaccine. Fauci says they are just “dotting the i’s and crossing the t’s” so how about we accelerate that bureaucratic process.
These steps along will increase vaccination rates and give cover for businesses, and state/local governments to follow suite. Government should work with businesses to require vaccinations in their back-to-work plans.

Instead of all the time and effort to mandate vaccinated people wear masks because of the unvaccinated, how about rewarding the vaccinated with more access to normal life.

11 Likes

Strongly disagree with those jumping on the vaccinate-student bandwagon. As of yet, there is zero approval for vaccinating elementary ages. The Pfizer approval is age 16+. Moderna adn J&J are 18+.

And I reject inferring all non-vaccinated are ‘stupid’. Yes, there are plenty of those reading facebook. But the fact is many persons of color have a very strong reason to be skeptical of the government vaccine programs. They need a focused education program by the local PH departments. (If I was in the WH, I put the Veep in an different urban vax center every week for outreach.) It’s easy to take shots at the southern red states, but five of the top 10 states where delta is exploding are deep blue, adn that is bcos of the poor vax rates in the urban cores.

Agree with employers, including the federal government, requiring vaccines. (Employers have the ability to require vaccines today; they don’t need government help, unless you are suggesting liability protection.) But not sure that mandating vaccines for flyers does much to move the needle. In the first place, only a small portion of the population gets on airplanes, and I’d guess the vast majority of those flyers are already vaccinated. (Anyone have any data?) And second, if fake ID’s are easy to come by for teenagers (to buy alcohol), fake vax records are even easier to print up.

2 Likes

That’s not even correct. Pfizer vaccine was approved a couple of months ago for 12+.

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/coronavirus-covid-19-update-fda-authorizes-pfizer-biontech-covid-19-vaccine-emergency-use

14 Likes

Step one to fight skepticism is for final approval of vaccine.

Step two to fight skepticism is to normalize vaccines as table stakes for normal life, meaning work, travel, and government touch points like school (even if only for 16+ year old students).

Requiring vaccinations for people flying may only address a small number, but it can be accomplished with the stroke of a pen and will begin to highlight what vaccinated people can enjoy.

Focused education programs are good but take time. Door-to-door vaccination pushes are good but they take time. They are all high effort low result activities that take time, and so far time has not been our side with is pandemic as we wonder what the fall will bring.

1 Like

It’s only 3 of the top 10. And when you compare per capita case rate, they aren’t even close to the “explosion” in those smaller red states.

4 Likes

And when they showed my “blue” state on local news last night divvied up into counties, it was a couple of red, “travel destination” counties doing bad with spreading - same counties with low vax rates.

H and I were just discussing that figuring travelers brought it in over the 4th of July and local non-vaxed workers likely picked it up, now spreading it.

We’re fully vaxed but are going back to take out only vs eating indoors.

3 Likes

Correct. Good point.

Hmmmm . . . when I first read this, pre-edit, I thought this said “nine of the top 10 states.” Either way it sure seems to be more false/misleading information.

Here are the ten states with the highest ave. number of new cases (daily) per 100,000 population:

1. Louisiana - 79
  2. Florida - 58
  3. Arkansas - 52
  4. Mississippi - 40
  5. Missouri - 40
  6. Alabama - 36
  7. Oklahoma -30
  8. Nevada - 30
  9. Alaska - 29
  10. Texas - 22
    Covid in the U.S.: Latest Maps, Case and Death Counts - The New York Times
8 Likes

Way to go Google

3 Likes
2 Likes

I’m kind of sorry they are postponing back to work because I don’t think it’s been good for my kid to be alone in his apartment for the last year and a half, but I am super happy they are requiring vaccinations.

5 Likes

My husband went back into the office July 2. His company has decided to implement a hybrid system. Although the CEO would like workers to come into their work site 2 days a week, my husband doesn’t see that happening.

He says although he likes being in his office, it’s downright depressing to be the only person there most of the time. No co workers to talk to, just a ghost town of offices.

Welcome to the club. My S has been working remotely in his apartment as well. These young people need to be in their workplaces - interacting with friends and starting their lives. Debating about masks will not fix things - getting vaccinated will.

1 Like

Absolutely agree with you. They need to be around friends and coworkers. My DD office has been open since June but they are not required in the office until September. My DD and friends work from office few days per week just to interact with other people

Another interesting article on a 3rd dose booster. Note this article refers to information from Pfizer, so not published or peer-reviewed.

I’m looking forward to peer-reviewed objective information, but the data from Pfizer mentioned looks like a 3rd shot is a serious turbo boost.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/28/health/pfizer-third-dose-data-bn/index.html

1 Like

H’s company (S&P 100) has told employees they will not require the vax. This was after several employee surveys were conducted. Their reason they gave was they do not want to lose a lot of good talent.

That’s very interesting. Any internal info on the vaccine reluctance? Have they returned to the office yet or have plans to do so?