Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

I stated my concern. No need for you to tell me it is something else.

Getting angry at unvaccinated people by citing this reason may reinforce anti-vaccine viewpoints, since you are implying a belief that your vaccination will not protect you. Someone already leaning against vaccination may take that as validation of their viewpoint that getting vaccinated has too little benefit.

2 Likes

I know many people who had irregularities afterwards, even post-menopausal women who got their period. My D’s was wacky as well. I thought this was a pretty widely accepted side effect.

1 Like

But the cruise ship example and TX dems flight example shows that even with everyone vaccinated it’s being spread. So I’m not sure that dropping the mandate would happen. The very few under 12s that were unvaxxed were tested 3x before departure I believe.

1 Like

Elementary and middle school started yesterday where we live. High school starts Monday. This will be interesting.

This is a common anti-vax trope, not a side effect. And oh look, I can play anecdotes too – none of my 3 girls or any of their friends experienced this! And no postmenopausal women I know had vaginal bleeding. And the medical folks aren’t seeing any data to back you up. But it sure sounds scary when you say you know “many” who did. Thanks for playing.

4 Likes

In a small plane full of vaccinated people, under 10% got infected by the previously contagious person (and apparently very mild or asymptomatic cases). Can you image what would have happened in a small plane of unvaccinated people?

4 Likes

I’ve heard so as well. And for those who follow the news and literature it shouldn’t be surprising information.

2 Likes

This is so weird. Everyone in my social circle and almost all of my family is vaxxed. Same with both my DD and DDIL in their mid 20s. None of us know of a single person this has happened to. I wonder why the differences?

I wish that would be true, but I’d bet my house that no-way would the CDC would say no masks required indoors/on air transport if 100% of folks are ‘vaccinated’.

2 Likes

Rough crowd, sheesh

1 Like

It absolutely caused me to have a really abnormal cycle for the one that came after my first shot. Many similar stories from my friends and my daughter. We were not worried and it only affected that one cycle for most of us. I’ve definitely read enough to know my experience was not that uncommon and also no reason for me to be alarmed.

6 Likes

In Pfizer’s full EUA prescribing information, there is no mention of menstrual irregularities as a side effect of the vaccine. This includes during the clinical trials which is nearing the one year mark for some participants, as well as post-authorization experience in non-trial participants. I didn’t look at the Moderna or JNJ prescribing info documents.

Of course this doesn’t mean people haven’t experienced cycle changes, just that they haven’t been confirmed as linked to the vaccine. There are currently no study data on this topic either, so for now the data is all anecdotal. Hopefully more data is coming, and if linked to the vaccine the effects are transient.

1 Like

I am aware that there are reports that are being investigated and won’t be surprised, given how intense some of the side effects were especially for 20/30 somethings, if they find that a temporary irregular cycle was one possible side effect. I just think its interesting one person knows many this happened to and another knows none.

2 Likes

Returning to the WaPo article that Tavern Girl posted, here are some takeaways:

1. Regardless of vaccination status, there remains a higher risk among older age groups for hospitalization and death relative to younger people.

2. 35,000 estimated symptomatic infections per week among 162 million vaccinated Americans. (my note: assuming an immunity span of approximately one year, that’s nearly 2 million infections per year annualized, or approximately 1% of all vaccinated Americans).

3. The CDC has not only struggled to get the message out about vaccination and mitigations measures such as masks, they also have over-sold the efficacy of the vaccine in the spring.

4. The CDC’s recent guidance that resulted from this data actually stops short of what the internal document calls for, which is universal masking.

5. The data is sourced to a July 4 outbreak in Provincetown, MA. Per WaPo and their source: Genetic analysis of the outbreak showed that people who were vaccinated were transmitting the virus to other vaccinated people. The person said the data was “deeply disconcerting” and a “canary in the coal mine” for scientists who had seen the data.

6. Apparently vaccinated and unvaccinated were shedding nearly identical amounts of virus.

7. The thinking is shifting more towards vaccination being about personal protection and less about achieving “herd immunity” according to one expert who reviewed the CDC slides. Herd immunity is less relevant if there are breakthrough infections.

8. According to another expert: mitigation of severe disease, disability and medical consequences might be the way forward (nb: I read this as expanding treatment options to minimize adverse outcomes), and we might have to become more comfortable with the possibility that Covid is not going away.

9. In sum (and per WaPo): The document underscores what scientists and experts have been saying for months: It is time to shift how people think about the pandemic.

The data is supposed to be released today. I’m eager to review it all.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/07/29/cdc-mask-guidance/

1 Like

:grimacing:

2 Likes

Thank you - you saved me a Google search!

1 Like

Your article indicates that, as of yet, there is no scientific support linking changes in menstruation with the COVID-19 vaccine. In other words, it is NOT “a pretty widely accepted side effect.”

3 Likes

Did you read the section of the article you posted about the vaccine? Reports are anecdotal. Also mostly with Astra-Zeneca. And yet the folks on the board who are the most apt to sow doubt about the vaccines apparently know this is rampant and due to the vaccine while others of us haven’t heard of anyone having this issue. Menstrual irregularities are very common and can be due to many things. Correlation is not causation. Oh and the post-menopausal bleeding? That’s way more serious. Any actual evidence there?

2 Likes

Here are the CDC slides from yesterday:

https://context-cdn.washingtonpost.com/notes/prod/default/documents/54f57708-a529-4a33-9a44-b66d719070d9/note/7335c3ab-06ee-4121-aaff-a11904e68462.#page=1