Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

My husband had a phone conversation with a friend who moved away a few years ago. He just got his first shot. His significant other got her first shot but fainted afterwards hasn’t gotten her 2nd. She is a highly anxious person and is hysterical about getting another shot. Her stepdaughter recently had a baby and they are not letting anyone see the baby if they are not fully vaccinated. Our friend said they aren’t going to be manipulated into getting vaccinated. I love this couple but sometimes their actions leave me shaking my head.
I hope this thread stays open. I don’t mind the meandering. If you don’t like a thread you can not read it.

5 Likes

I said what I meant, and I have no interest in chasing down or discussing whataboutisms.

Which will further traumatize doctors and nurses.

1 Like

My daughter’s SO is a hockey player (club now) and he got faint after the first jab. He is not a fan of needles, but his real problem was going to the vax center on a near empty stomach – “don’t want to vomit” – so his bp crashed. For the second appt, I told him to eat carbos and a banana for lunch, since they are slow digesting and will keep the bp steady. He did and the 2nd vax was a nothing-burger. He even took a selfie while smiling ear-to-ear.

7 Likes

Rewarding the brain for doing something one knows they should do, but doesn’t want to do can actually be helpful at making one feel more comfortable about it. Teachers and doctors give stickers, but really, there’s nothing wrong with an ice cream treat or allowing oneself to enjoy a movie - whatever would be a reward. It’s helpful.

H and I always go out to breakfast after routine blood tests, and lunch or a treat after donating blood or getting vaccines. As a pattern, it helps us sort of look forward to such things.

Brains can be trained. Google Pavlov if one isn’t familiar with his basic experiment.

5 Likes

When my kids were little I always took small wrapped gifts to the annual exams where they received vaccines. They were not a bribe. The message was clear that the vaccines had to happen. But they were part of making these experiences a positive happy one overall. After we would go out for a special fun lunch and to buy another big gift ( when you don’t celebrate Christmas there are less gift getting opportunities so this was a good one) . By the time the girls were 9 or 10 they’d practically shove their arms in the nurses face to get what ever shot they needed. The doctor told me that she often advised new parents to follow my lead and make a big fun deal out of vaccination appointments.

7 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: COLONOSCOPY How hard is it on you?

NZ has had a zero tolerance approach to the whole thing, expecting they would eventually ride a US vaccine to a happy place.

When I say the vaccine isn’t a ‘bang-up’ deal, that would be in comparison to one that didn’t have the CDC telling vaccinated people to put masks back on. One that protected the fearful so well, they didn’t obsess about everyone one getting the vac, even those who’ve had covid. And one that was protective enough that there aren’t way too many people that want little kids to mask up.

Done with this, y’all have fun worrying.

1 Like

I know this should be on the colonoscopy thread but after mine, I wasn’t good for anything the rest of that day. I had a few bites to eat and fell asleep for hours.

But kudos to those who can socialize afterwards, because I’m not it!

2 Likes

Give yourself a double sized treat the next day. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

My husband’s brother is a chemical engineer who works in the semiconductor industry. His wife is an anti vaxxer. They have three adult children. Out of all five of them, only one of them, the oldest child, is vaccinated. I can’t even imagine.

Huh, I just realized that the two unvaccinated kids are also engineers. The vaccinated child is a liberal arts major. Makes me embarrassed for the engineers.

3 Likes

Was just about to post the Sullivan article! It’s excellent.

1 Like

I just saw another Covid related GoFundMe posted. I have seen a few of them, but this was posted by the relative of someone in my hometown and I feel so sad. A dad in his 50s, with 3 kids still at home–one in elementary, one in middle school and one in HS has passed away from Covid. His family can’t afford the ICU bill, and he was the main breadwinner.

I am waffling between empathy and anger. The community FB pages, news stations and radio stations are filled with you-can’t-make-us!, we’re-a-free-state!, and personal-responsibility! mantras as well as incomprehensible conspiracy theories and flat out misinformation. (I was there two months ago and heard all of it first hand) Consequently, only 30% of the population is vaxxed. They are surrounded by counties that have lower vax rates than that and no one was wearing a mask anywhere at the time (with the exception of a few store employees).

I’m angry his family is without their dad and without their livelihood. I am angry he couldn’t actually afford the personal responsibility for his choices. Most of all, I’m angry he got duped to death.

16 Likes

So D2 went out last week for drinks with coworkers. They have not been in the office together since March 2020. One of the guys said he was a maybe for drinks since he was getting his second vaccine and might not feel well. When he did show up all of the other coworkers gave him a lot of grief for just getting his second shot. They were all eligible 4/15 and by 5/15 it was easy to get a vaccine here so they told him he was just being lazy!

Famous last words: “there’s nothing here to worry abou…”

7 Likes

Yep. Makes a lot of sense to try to convince someone to get the vaccine then when they finally do “give him a lot of grief” and call him “lazy” cause it just wasn’t soon enough.

2 Likes

I’m just reporting what well educated 20 somethings think of their peer who didn’t jump on the vaccine as soon as eligible that’s all.

8 Likes

I just got an email from the director of my dad’s retirement facility that stated the company’s management has just announced that vaccination will be mandatory for all staff as a condition of employment. At this time, 100% of the residents and 80% of the staff are vaccinated.

Austin is in stage 4 restrictions. If they move to stage 5, my dad won’t be allowed visitors. :frowning:

6 Likes

I’m assuming places that will require a vaccination card to enter (restaurants, stadiums, etc) are not requiring them for children 12 and under. ?

So far, vaccination requirements that I have heard of seem to be mostly from:

• Colleges.
  • Employers.
  • Bars.

These tend not to have 11-and-under people as students, employees, or customers.

6 Likes