Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

Sounds nice, but the reason some don’t like the thread is the large amount of anecdotal, misleading, and outright false information. Not reading the thread isn’t going to make that information go away. And, unfortunately, because it is on an otherwise reputable site, some might even buy into it.

Is that why we have so many brain damaged people?

You mean, like people who are encouraging people to get a booster shot? There are no reputable studies, no recommendations and no FDA approval for booster shots yet many of the same people upset by anecdotes are encouraging finding ways to get a booster shot. There’s even an entire thread on it.

4 Likes

The reason we were finally able to find an estate sale company in the crazy Austin market is that the owner had just canceled her vacation to Hawaii and thus had available time. I was curious about why she had canceled her trip until she said she refused to get vaccinated, then it was obvious. We’re not happy she’s not wearing a mask and will be around all the customers walking through Dad’s house, but not sure what we can do about it. I won’t write the word I think of concerning people like her because it’s not polite.

1 Like
1 Like

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but I thought it was an interesting read with regards to reluctance.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/opinions-vaccine-mandates-will-backfire-people-will-resist-even-more/ar-AAMN584

1 Like

The topic is fine, but it can go round and round and off topic. And I have never seen a thread that has been slowed down so much and people warned. (And I probably will stop reading soon, as I have not seen any new info on the orig topic of “vaccine reluctance”.)

Changing the tone here, and back to the original topic. I believe I mentioned here, or on one of the threads about my single, 55 year old cousin who has been saying he was getting the vaccine. It is now August and to my knowledge, he has not yet.

I gave him a nice lecture on the 4th of July while having dinner outside at my aunt’s. Told him to go get one the next day! I totally get that he didn’t get one the first day he was eligible as it was still hard to find one. By June, you could find one on every corner, so there is no excuse! My mother, who he is very close to, told him she wouldn’t see him if he didn’t get vaccinated, but she does; usually she has dinner with her sister on Sundays, and he joins. Well last week my aunt sent him a long message and said he was no longer welcome at the house until he was vaccinated; she hasn’t heard from him since then, which is very unusual.

While I wouldn’t agree with him if he would just say he isn’t ready or doesn’t want the vaccine, I could accept that. This business of saying he is getting one, then not doing so bothers me more. Maybe the Jewish guilt from his mother will help :innocent:

5 Likes

I am trying to understand what you meant here…I don’t want to read you ‘mind’, so can you please clarify what was intended with this statement?

Some opinion writers basically say to leave the vaccine opponents to the mercy of the virus, rather than trying to nag or force them to vaccinate (since vaccinated people are at much lower risk, the risk of COVID-19 by being unvaccinated is mostly a voluntary risk now):

Of course, the potential downside is the possibility of overburdening health care systems. Also, the medically vulnerable will have to return to hermit-like behavior for a while (although the situation has already gotten to the point where the medically vulnerable may need to do that anyway).

3 Likes

my dad (80 & had covid) was very hesitant at first to get the vax. This thread started about the time I had mentioned him in a post. Since then both parents have been fully vaxxed. Yay!

they are on their first plane trip in years this week to visit older relatives who live in an area that’s culturally anti-vax and very independent. I have a feeling they will have to defend their decision of getting vaxxed, and I’ll be the crux. whatever; i’m good.

i have shared some facts with my parents from our county (midwest; population 500K+).

• The average age of death from covid in our county is 79.4.
  • 97% of those over 75 got the vaccine.
  • the rate of death has dropped dramatically and incredibly. For any relative who scoffs at them, i hope they will share those facts.

I also am feeling so un-empathetic for those coming down with CV now. The vaccine works; and I’m having a hard time feeling sorry or worried about those ending up in the hospitals because they chose not to get a vax. (for that small group of people who physically can’t get a vax; they are exempt. And for the rare break-through cases, they are exempt).

empathy is one of my top 5 strengths from all the strengths finder tests i’ve taken. Yet i’m at my limit. I keep thinking of one of my favorite songs that says “You got yourself into this mess” – and our family saying of “It’s your own damn fault.” any one else becoming a little callous and uncaring?

13 Likes

I am waiting for the moment when the health insurance companies will declare that they won’t pay for hospitalizations of unvaccinated people. That will change the game.

8 Likes

Can’t you just not hire her? Or tell her she must wear a mask( and put that in any contract)?

1 Like

We have to use her because there are no other options. Other companies are booked for months (and didn’t want the job, anyway). But I will suggest to my sister that we ask her to wear a mask during the sale.

3 Likes

That will likely bankrupt many hospitals since they can’t turn away people who could be dying. All they have to do is prevent death if they can and send them on their way, but that’s expensive.

Right there with you. I plan to keep up with my vaxes as needed. If others want to take their chances, so be it. I feel for the health care workers dealing with the idiots and medically fragile or otherwise unable to get the vax, but that’s it.

2 Likes

The media will be full of stories of people with hundred thousand/million dollars bills that will give the antivaxers some food for thought.

nice idea, but will never happen. Heck, insurance companies don’t even reject claims from drunk drivers – their claims, not their victims. Plus, such victim-blaming might be against ACA guidelines.

The medically vulnerable that I know have continued to be vigilant. They have to be. Even if we eliminated all “vaccine reluctance” tomorrow, there will still be ~10% of the pop that is anti-vax (as opposed to just reluctant), and ~10% that are immunosuppressed and legitimately reluctant… Thus, from a practical matter, “full” vaccine is really 80% of total. Add in our open borders and airports, and the medically vulnerable are foolish if they are not living an extremely vigilant life. (unfortunate, but not fixable)

Just because they have the bills doesn’t mean they pay them. The hospitals will be on the hook for the money.

1 Like

Just because they don’t pay them doesn’t mean their life will go on as before. The cautionary stories on media will not be unnoticed by the rest of the “independent researchers”.