Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

I actually didn’t think it seemed super restrictive but the lack of normalcy and normal socializing still took its toll on everyone.

The diocesan policy was a full school day everyday for everyone with no split sessions. It seemed pretty clear that the decision was made because by that point last August families were really suffering and they wanted kids to have an open school so kids could as close to a normal life as possible and parents could go to work without having to worry about their children.

I only know the details of the high school we have connections and each school may have made unique arrangements within the school day to observe public health protocols.

Instead of the usual rotating schedule they implemented a set daily schedule. They had seating plans and classroom layouts to maximize social distancing. That way they could more easily keep track of where everyone was at any moment was in case contract tracing was necessary and to minimize the impact of any possible exposures.

If a maximum number of students was reached per room, they had areas set aside to accommodate the overflow like the gym and auditorium. Since families could choose remote learning on a quarterly basis and individuals sometimes had to quarantine, not all classrooms were full all the time, so I don’t know how much they overflow plan was used.

Everyone wore masks and teachers had plexiglass. Science labs and the cafeteria had lots of plexiglass. Lunch periods were divided up and open spaces in the school were used to for spreading out for eating when masks would be down. Outdoor areas were used for eating, too, as well as music. Apps were used to keep lavatories from being overcrowded at any given time.

A health app was used to check symptoms everyday before school. Temperatures were taken when kids arrived at school. Students not feeling well with possible Covid symptoms were kept separate from other kids not feeling well.

There were contingency plans to reduce capacity in case levels got high enough as determined by the state government, but they never had be used. When case levels seemed to be going up locally, the principal would communicate very frankly with students about how they needed to be careful in their behavior so as not to contribute to spreading the virus by having parties and sleepovers. It was done in the spirit of, we’re a team and this is what we have to do if you want to try to keep the school open. And it seemed to work.

1 Like

I guess we’ll see what’s going to happen within schools soon. I’m not up on the latest but the last I heard the governor is not going to require masks and is leaving the decision up to local school districts., despite he and the state health commissioner recommending masks indoors for unvaccinated and vaccinated. The teachers unions want masks mandated.

A lot of leeway was given to local school districts last year, so I can’t say he is passing the buck and thinking of re-election.

Looking at a state news site, I see cases rising now, and headlines mentioning Epsilon and Lambda…

This is a great example of how individual schools were able to respond to the pandemic and still maintain learning. Our Catholic, private and public charters had the same flexibility and freedom to respond to conditions on the ground as well. Not so our district schools.

1 Like

I’m curious about the penalties for non-compliance, or was everyone following the rules at all times?

I will try to find out.

Thanks.

I really appreciate your willingness to discuss all these issues even though you know you will attract criticism and, of course, your willingness to do everything you can as an unvaccinated person to protect yourself and others.

1 Like

Here’s a column in the NY Times about our inability to cooperate and to take collective actions that benefit the entire community, the entire nation, and indeed, the entire human species in this internet age:

IMO Social media and the tech companies are the problem. Not the internet as a whole. I’ve told my kids over the years that social media will eventually be the downfall of our society.

5 Likes

Thank you for your kind words. I hope I will make the same effort to be open and objective when my status changes.

People might not wasn’t to believe but simple kindness and basic objectivity makes a difference.

Conspiracy theories also make a difference. They make me run the other way. I’m not seeing any scientific plausibility or facts in what some people are sending me, just politics, and it’s driving me crazy. If people are going to argue, they should make sure the argument is not based on made up stuff. (I’m not talking about anyone here.) And if I hear someone telling untruths about the vaccine effectiveness and risks to me or my kids and I correct them, then I am I’m treated like I’m in the wrong. I’m so done with it.

I generally agree. Instead of bringing us together, social media are set up in a way to drive us into our own circles. These circles are their own worlds, and they drift further and further away from each other, like an expanding galaxy.

1 Like

Two private schools in my area did the exact same thing and they had no outbreaks last year.

I have a more optimistic view of Delta. Yes, it’s more contagious, but it also has a shorter incubation period than previous Covid 19 meaning that a person has less time to transmit it to others before they show symptoms. Even with breakthrough cases of vaccinated people half of the population is vaccinated (not counting those who had Covid and retain some immunity) which still provides significant protection compared to no vaccines.

2 Likes

I haven’t heard that. Do you have an article where I could read that? Interesting

WSJ will soon release a report on US booster policy coming this month…

I will jump in with this one. It’s an interesting article that mentions the shorter incubation time and how that makes Delta harder to deal with from a public health standpoint.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01986-w

1 Like

I saw a graphic on GMA3 which I thought might be helpful.

Prescription for Wellness
Tips for dealing with medical confusion:

Ask yourself:

• What’s the risk of doing X?
  • What’s the risk of NOT doing X?
  • What’s the benefit of doing X?
  • What’s the benefit of NOT doing X?
1 Like

For us, yes, but we’ve been trusting our vaccines visiting medical lad and his GF so this doesn’t seem like a much larger stretch to do within the time the vaccines are supposed to be very effective. We’re also always wearing our masks, but if it weren’t required I’m not sure we would. It is required and we signed a slip for each segment saying we would, so we do, even when others do not.

For anyone who wants to be more secure due to any reason, no. If Covid is on the train, there’s a good chance it can spread. We will not be taking FIL on a trip as we thought we might - not until Covid dies back a bit anyway.

To make it safer, one can get a room and stay there. They deliver food and snacks if requested, plus the view isn’t too bad from inside a room. It’s just better in the observation/lounge car and we go for views more than anything. Note that not all trains have sleeper cars on them.

2 Likes

Wow. Our school opened up in person with 4-12 going every other day to lessen crowding and K-12 going daily due to supposed lack of transmission. All schools had mask policies, social distancing, etc, pretty much everything recommended by our state. All schools also had outbreaks among students, staff, and teachers. I received emails about all of them. A few times schools had to close for a couple of days due to too many cases at once.

The good thing is no student or staff member died or had really severe cases. Can’t say the same for at least a couple of older relatives.

I totally skipped working last year, but told them I’d return part time subbing math/science this year. Our school is planning for no masks and in general returning to normal this year. I doubt I’ll be returning toward the beginning of the school year (starts later this month). Glad I didn’t tell them I’d take a full time position.

It may, indeed, just be time for me to retire.

1 Like

Kudos to CNN!

8 Likes

I’m glad you’re still 100% on board (pun!) - you had mentioned some awkward situations with masking/passengers and I know you so looked forward to this train trip I was hoping you weren’t disappointed.

1 Like