Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

Car crash deaths per 100 million miles driven (in figure 4 on page 6) has a U-shaped curve by age, with 50-59 being at or near the bottom of the curve.

However, note that both car crashes and COVID-19 can result in long term injuries or disabilities; death is not the only concern for either kind of event.

2 Likes

https://www.jaci-inpractice.org/article/S2213-2198(20)31411-2/pdf

This goes over guidelines for being allergic depending on how allergic you may be.

2 Likes

@compmom , heed your docs advice and not people on a message board who do not know your full
Circumstances.

Go into that appt tomorrow with a Little Engine That Could ā€œI think I can, I know i canā€ attitude! Donā€™t be afraid to ask questions while you are there, wait longer than your 15 mins if it makes you more comfortable (they may even ask you to wait longer) and then go home, have someone call and check on you often if possible and have a movie or tv series to put on to distract you and keep your mind busy!

5 Likes

Do you mean the JNJ vaccine will be available soon (Feb 26 FDA review date)? Not sure we are going to see the AZ product here anytime soon.

I really should not have posted my strange reactions on here. I am not afraid of the shot at this point. In fact, today proves I wonā€™t have anaphylaxis. The dose in that teaspoonful of diluted propylethylene glycol was 20 times the amount in the shot.

I am a monster researcher. In fact my kids make fun of me for that. This kind of reaction is not covered in conventional allergy info.

@abasket thanks for your message. But my can do or canā€™t do attitude isnā€™t relevant either. I do not want my immune system to be busy with this reaction when I have the shot (just as someone with a cold shouldnā€™t have the shot for the same reason.)

So I will see how I feel in the morning. I called the pharmacy to see if cancelling in the morning would mean a wasted slot, and they said absolutely not, and encouraged me to decide tomorrow. If my lymph nodes go down, I will go!

Thanks all!

6 Likes

@gouf78 Thanks so much for posting. Half our family has allergies and one of my kids has an allergy that could not be pinpointed. So that document is a must read for us.

1 Like

The helpful info from @gouf78 convinced me to cancel and call an allergist. This morning still not feeling great from my little self-test with polyethylene glycol. Thank you @gouf78. I would be getting the shot at this very moment, sorry to miss it.

1 Like

I was thinking that vaccine reluctance will be greatly reduced if cruise ships require vaccination whenever they start up again.

4 Likes

Only if the folks want to take a cruise!

My daughter (age 24) says sheā€™s not getting the vaccine. I asked her if she would if required by airlines and resorts and to do fun things. Wellā€¦ maybe.

I think sheā€™ll get it because sheā€™s trying out (at least she was last year) for an international sports event. Last year she was going to have to travel to two international games/camps. Sheā€™s just an obstinate kid. Her boyfriend will convince her to get it.

Lots of people i know have already signed up for cruises in 2022.

Some folks we know are signed up for 2022 cruise because covid caused their old 2021 reservations to bump out a year.

We killed some time today watching a zoom travel presentation from AAA. It was fun, with lots of international and US tours discussed. It was good to get us thinking, but it made me realize Iā€™ll likely be ready to travel before I am ready to consider the cruise options. Weā€™ll see.

My niece is a professor at a large Midwest university. They just announced they will go back to full on site learning fall semester. But, every single student, faculty and staff have to be vaccinated before return. No specifics. Have no idea if they are going to offer the J and J dose on campus or everyone has to get vaccinated before they arrive back. But thereā€™s going to be a big problem if someone has vaccine reluctance and they want to return to campus or their job.

Iā€™m assuming there will be many employers that require vaccinations.

2 Likes

I am having a lot of anxiety about vaccines. I did a little test, as I may have described already, with a minute amount of Miralax (polyethylene glycol, or PEG, which is in the mRNA vaccines) and had a huge neuro reaction. I had to cancel an appointment for Pfizer.

A week later, after scheduling an appointment at CVS (Moderna) I was a little congested and did some Afrin. My sinuses got inflamed, and I felt sick. I looked at the label and lo and beyold, Afrin has polyethylene glycol. To treat the presumed allergic reaction, I took half a Benadryl dye free gel cap and had immediate nausea and chills. I looked at the label: polyethylene glycol.

The next day I treated muscle pain, probably related to the above reaction, with Ben Gay. Again reacted. Again label says polyethylene glycol.

I am now wearing my glasses around my neck and not ingesting or applying anything without reading the label. I have even changed toothpastes because PEG is in there too.

These are products I have used for years. Clearly the stunt I pulled with the Miralax has sensitized me. The primary and allergist both say I am not having anaphylaxis, so they think the vaccines are safe for me but I should pretreat with Benadryl (without PEG!).

So far I have cancelled two appointments in a state where they are hard to get, and I have another one, for Pfizer, coming up next week. I am starting to think I should get the J and J, which has polysorbate 80, which crossreacts with PEG!

My lymph nodes/glands are still swollen and sore from all these reactions. I at least want that to calm down.

If I had not pulled that stunt with the self-test with Miralax,I would have had a vaccine weeks ago. But I knew I had that sensitivity so I donā€™t know if I protected myself or increased my risk with that.

Meanwhile my daughter, who has a couple of medical conditions, is having a horrendous experience with her dose number ONE of Pfizer.

Just adding that both my daughter and I have autoimmune diseases (I have lupus). Whether allergy or lupus, I agree with the quote below (but if I wait I will be competing with the general population rather than seniors where I belong):

ā€œWhen you give a vaccine, it revs the immune system,ā€ Hasni explains. ā€œIf youā€™re already in [an autoimmune] flare where your immune system is going haywire, it can make the flare worse. In general, itā€™s better to wait until the flare is under control and things have calmed down.ā€

ā€œAs a clinician, I donā€™t want my patients with autoimmune disease to get the vaccine while having an active flare,ā€ Hanaway says. ā€œLetā€™s decrease inflammation and put the body in a state where it can have a useful immunologic reaction to the vaccine.ā€

2 Likes

Oh, I totally feel for you. We are a family of multiple allergies, known and unknown. You just never know when youā€™ll get hit or in the case of the unknown, why. Canā€™t your allergist/neuropath/doctor or all of them go through your list with you and the list of ingredients in each vaccine? We have a number we can call and they check it. Not 100% but better than me squinting and trying to figure it out.
Iā€™m leaning toward J&J when our turn comes. Good luck whatever you decide.

Thanks and sympathies to you. I know the culprit: polyethylene glycol, which my immune system has been overreacting to since my little stunt. I used to be able to use Afrin once but no more than that, for instance, but right now my rain barrel is full (I am sure you have heard that metaphor).

My immunologist told me my immune system ā€œwent haywire.ā€ Precise diagnosis! That was many years ago. Food, meds, scents, new rugs, etc. etc. I donā€™t give it much thought but in the context of vaccines, I am wondering if folks like us can choose what we getā€¦Good luck to you!

1 Like

This seems like private health information! I can understand the facility publishing a staff vaccination rate, but their race? That sounds very dicey and like a violation of some sort.

1 Like

In Indiana, we schedule online and choose the location. The program maps and lists all the sites and each site tells which vaccine they have.

But given various situations, I still have no idea which is best for me, and am leery. I am allergic to many things; have autoimmune issues, have a history of very unpleasant reactions to vaccines; really want only one shot, but very unsure of the difference in effectiveness, etc.

Now I see Moderna especially can result in swollen lymph nodes on a mammogram and mine is past due. Donā€™t delay your mammo! Donā€™t delay the vaccine! But I know where that road may very well leadā€¦more testing, ultrasound, MRI, anxiety,etc. and then the next mammo is diagnostic, not screening, and out-of-pocket.

Ug. So I really have no idea which one to choose and donā€™t have time to go knee-deep in research. ā€œGet the one in your arm!ā€ isnā€™t all that helpful when there is a choice.

1 Like

You sound a lot like me. I am moving toward J and J after ping ponging between the other two.

I actually think a breast exam by a good doctor is better than a mammogram. (Thatā€™s how my breast cancer was found). The problem with swollen lymph nodes in that context seems at least to be well recognized at this point.

Good luck with your decisions!

1 Like